Author Topic: blue whale barf bag  (Read 2416 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
blue whale barf bag
« on: August 31, 2008, 05:47:02 AM »
much about 1968 annoys me but tonight i watched an episode that left me somewhat physically repulsed.

it's towards the end of the joe/maggie/vampirelique storyline.maggie and joe share a nicely played,if sad,scene at the blue when in enters the supposedly "suave" nicholas blair and procedes to smooth talk the vulnerable,clearly upset girl with a round of black russians and the usual blah,blah offers of "friendship" that the d.s. ingenues frequently receive from older "gentlemen" callers blah,blah...

later however he goes in for the kill,tells maggie he's falling in love with her,and plants a long,fat,wet kiss on her...the sight of this creep kissing a girl we all know and love totally disgusted me.

the whole nicholas/maggie plot rings as totally false for me.i don't but it for one minute.it seems in a way to have been written just to give kls something to do.and i don't believe for one minute mags would fall for this louse!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: blue whale barf bag
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:00:13 AM »
I agree with you about Nicholas and Maggie relationship. I don't buy it either. I alway got the feeling that he was up to something. Maybe something connected with Adam? I don't know, but that was really what I thought at first and that the whole thing was just an act.

I wasn't happy when it turned out not to be. [ghost_tongue]

The fact that Maggie, apparently, fell for him too is ridiculous but it's not terribly surprising that they would have her do so.

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:13:43 AM »
I saw those episodes a few months back  and I hated every scene with Blair and Maggie in it.  First of all Maggie looked very uncomfortable in his presence.  Secondly, [spoiler]that long smooch they had looked as if two disgusted statues where having to kiss for the sake of kissing.  YUCK! That grossed me out. I also felt sorry for Mags.  Her dad had just died, Joe was in vampire prison with Angelique and here comes this supposedly suave guy and tries to sweep her off her feet.  Mags I don't think ever really fell for it and when she finally did say yes to marrying him, she was drugged into it.[/spoiler]This had to be the pre-ecstasy drugs!!  She should have been calling out to Barn but he was still mooning over Vickie who was mooning over that disgusting Peter Bradford (another loser.)  And somewhere in this storyline Adam is threatening all the time.  So in her lonliness I guess I could se why she needed some friendship. But Blair?? Maggie C'mon girl you could have sought out some normal person..Is that possible in DS???
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »
Isn't all this spoilery to those who may have not seen it? For what it's worth I agree with ya.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:18:43 AM »
Yes, that kiss looked very staged and not felt by either of the characters engaged in it.  Maybe if it looked more real I could have believed that Nicholas was in love with Maggie.  Some gazing into each other's eyes before or after would have helped, maybe.

I think, however, that Maggie was interested in Nicholas.  She had been going through some very hard times in her life (never mind that some of it was due to Nicholas: she didn't know that) and here was somebody who made things easy for her.  It was just what she needed.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
First, this is one of my favorite thread titles ever.  But then "Class" is my middle name, either that or "Barf".  Wait, it's "Barf", never mind.   Short for Barfolomew, the most childish and potty-mouthed of Christ's apostles.

It would be a spoiler to point out the interesting results of this "romance" later on.  It's going somewhere, definitely, [spoiler]as is Nick!  Nicholas does reveal himself to be spelling Maggie at some point, by the way, to make her come for that ceremony, establishing that he could have been doing that all along...?[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »
[spoiler]Nicholas does reveal himself to be spelling Maggie at some point, by the way, to make her come for that ceremony, establishing that he could have been doing that all along...?[/spoiler]
I thought he only did that after...
[spoiler]... Diablos told him he had to or else? [scratch][/spoiler]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »
the scenes with maggie and nicholas were uncomfortable to watch.zero chemistry and contrived to boot.

it would have been much more compelling storytelling,and more in keeping with continuity and character development,to have maggie turn to willie during this crisis with joe.that i could buy.this was not only yucky but totally out of left field.

i'll also throw this out there...

why is it vicki who always gets to be "clueless" and "dumb"?in watching 1968 i'm amazed at what poor judgement both carolyn and maggie use throughout the storyline.carolyn sheltering adam,a dangerous potential killer,and then maggie falling for nick's dubious charms.both amazingly "clueless" behavior.

vicki,while her storyline with jeff might not have been the best,at least keeps her nose clean throughout this period.she keeps a pretty level head.more so than her best friends.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 06:58:06 PM »
Isn't all this spoilery to those who may have not seen it?

Taeylor, the posts without code tags around the spoilery text, such as the main topic, do have the spoiler icon in the message headers.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 08:59:33 PM »
I see what you are referring to now that you have pointed it out.  I hadn't noticed it before!! Thanks again Midnite. Sometimes it takes me a bit to absorb things.  Maybe I need to hop on over to the Forum Guidelines for an update. [ghost_wacko]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »
I think the reason Victoria always got the "clueless" attachment was because she seemed to always say "I don't understand." Yes Carolyn and Maggie used poor judgement (Adam, Jeb, Quentin(all that stupid pitchfork stuff) but the writers seemed to ignore those clueless scenarios.  I have also read or seen  Alexandra Molke's comments on this and one stipulation she gave to coming back into the show was to give Victoria some more backbone if you will.  I guess DC said no.  But you know most of the women on the show seemed to have gone from spitfires to burning ashes in the smart department at one point or another.   
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 12:40:46 AM »
when watching this story originally, I seemed that Maggie was going to end up being the Devil's bride or maybe end up with a Devil's spawn as in Rosemary's Baby.  I wonder if Alexandra's leaving didn't shake up the story plans as they needed a governess for the Turn of the Screw rip off.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:51:47 AM »
Taeylor, the posts without code tags around the spoilery text, such as the main topic, do have the spoiler icon in the message headers.
Sorry about that! I meant to edit the spoiler tag into my post but I didn't think about it until it was too late. [heh]

when watching this story originally, I seemed that Maggie was going to end up being the Devil's bride or maybe end up with a Devil's spawn as in Rosemary's Baby.
A Rosemary's Baby-ish storyline could have been interesting, but that probably would have been a bit much for daytime television in those days.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 02:02:59 AM »
It's no problem, Taeylor and Joy Collins.  [ghost_happy]