Author Topic: A Prop Project  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
A Prop Project
« on: August 30, 2008, 11:18:17 PM »
Since possible other projects are being discussed, I thought I'd mention one that I've been thinking about for some time: a Prop Project.  This would involve having a separate topic for any prop that anybody cares to start a topic for, with a list to be compiled by all our helpful members of where the prop appeared.  These lists would naturally lead to in-depth discussions of the prop's beauty (or lack thereof), meaning, and anything else that comes into people's heads.  Theoretically one could also put together a list of the episodes in which the prop appears, but I have my doubts as to whether anybody would be willing to go that far.  On the other hand, MB's extreme devotion to The Pen might compel him to do so.

Other than The Pen, an obvious example of a prop to be featured would be the Primary Afghan, but there are many other possibilities - the lamp with the green ribbed glass shade, the fireplace with Delft tiles, a certain nomadic staircase, and the prop that for some reason keeps catching my attention: the picture of a man with a mustache.

Would this Project be of interest to anybody?

PS I'm not sure Prop is the right word.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Re: A Prop Project
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:12:07 AM »
Is clothing eligible? If so, I can't wait for the further discussions of 1970PT Quentin's orange sportsjacket and Maggie's quilted skirt.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:12:15 AM »
Yes, I would think so.  Midnite pointed out a while back that Cassandra wore a robe that previously Laura wore, and Julia has a robe in 1968 that looks like a robe somebody - maybe PT Angelique, but I can't remember for sure - wore later in the series, so I would be interested to know of any other hand-around clothing.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:25:50 AM »
At one point in 1795  when Angie is packing up to [spoiler]leave [/spoiler] you can clearly see her packing one of Josettes dresses.  I caught that this last time I viewed 1795.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:16:30 AM »
Would supernaturally powerful and moody facial hair components count as props?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 05:19:40 AM »
How about the box that Count Petofi's hand was in? That box was all over the place. It's almost like a game with my mom and I when we are watching it, we keep an eye out for it. "There's the box!"  [ghost_cheesy]

There's also another box I've noticed that keeps popping up - in the drawing room, in the upstairs hallway, in the study, at the Old House... It's not as noticable as the other one since it doesn't ever have any kind of important role.

Gotta love Maggie's quilt skirt. That thing looked like it should have weighed her down.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:05:12 AM »
Oh, yeah, the box!  Good idea.  I've used it for the first Prop Project topic:

Prop Project: The Box of the Hand of Count Petofi

As for facial hair components, I think they would count if they were not grown on the face of the actor.  If, for example, you could prove that Nicholas Blair's mustache was later dyed and re-used on Edward in 1897, or if you could prove that Quentin's muttonchops had been originally used on Joshua Collins, that would be fascinating.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 12:47:09 PM »
  If, for example, you could prove that Nicholas Blair's mustache was later dyed and re-used on Edward in 1897, or if you could prove that Quentin's muttonchops had been originally used on Joshua Collins, that would be fascinating.

I hereby devote the rest of my life to proving those two things.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »
Did I miss it? Did someone already mention Barnabas' cane? (which we've seen variations of on different shows.)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »
i like this project lydia.

one wardrobe gaffe that i found quite entertaining was shortly after maggie arrived at collinwood to take over as governess.she's unpacking "her" clothing from that tiny blue suitecase that of all the actresses cary while travelling and out she takes a well-worn favorite of her predecessor...

the red and blue trapeze-line,long sleeved vicki dress.a personal favorite.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »
Little-known fact: Maggie raids people's closets. Never invite her over.

I play the Spot-the-PetofiBox™ game with my mother, as well.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »
At one point in 1795  when Angie is packing up to [spoiler]leave [/spoiler] you can clearly see her packing one of Josettes dresses.  I caught that this last time I viewed 1795.

I think that totally works within the context of 1795.  We already saw Ang in one of the hats she admitted to ripping off from Josette.

Did I miss it? Did someone already mention Barnabas' cane? (which we've seen variations of on different shows.)

Regarding its appearance on different shows, that's covered in a topic on this board:
I thought it might be fun to start a list of all the places where we see Barnabas's cane outside of DS.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 08:49:07 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of the hat. I remember it now because I did watch 1795 recently.  I may have been distracted because I don't recall her saying she stole it.  Thanks for the reminder Midnite! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »
Hey Goober, how do you add a trademark symbol to a post?

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 01:56:16 PM »
Thought I'd mention while scanning the Ebay Dark Shadows category, a 'Victorian Era Bracelet' worn by Lara Parker of Dark Shadows is for sale. As I recall, it was less than $10.   While reviewing photos of DS actors for sale on Ebay, I spotted what might be Quentin's orange-plaid jacket hanging in the prop room.  The picture was of Lara Parker wearing, if I remember correctly, a pink dressing gown.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf