Author Topic: Off Topic  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Off Topic
« on: June 13, 2002, 12:50:57 AM »
First....I'm sick [puke] of seeing

Roger Davis [puke].

Second,

and

I

know

it's

Off

Topic.....

BUT,

[size=14]I[/size]

[size=14]HATE[/size]

[size=14]KIDS!!![/size]

(not Tommy though) :)

Thanks for letting me [roll3] VENT[scrm]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 05:17:12 AM »
Venting is a good thing!  My kids are driving me crazy too.  I just spent a week with them at Disney World and it a car for an extremely long time.  My daughter the "perfect child"  is no longer perfect.  She has become a teenager!  Another question does baseball ever end?  I have two home from college and that is an adjustment too.  We have four drivers, four jobs and two cars.  Mind you who do you think has to organize the coming and goings.  

Patti, it is time to drink!

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 06:59:57 AM »
Let me tell you, it doesn't end.

Our daughter is home from college and won't start her summer job till July so, in the meantime, she spends most of her time hanging out with her friends at the mall or Denny's drinking coffee till all hours.

I can't sleep until I hear the garage door open even tho we tell her to be home early, like 11pm! It's more like 2am.

She does have a part-time job on the weekends so we never eat as a family anymore unless we coordinate our schedules with military precision.

I should go down to the Blue Whale more often and cry on Bob the bartender's shoulder. Maybe he'd give me a few drinks on the house!  

Another chardonnay, please.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 07:16:23 AM »
Patti know how you feel and summer is just starting! but what better place to vent![scrm]
Birdie
you are so BRAVE to drive to Florida i wanted to do it but it would end up a new horror flick if we did :o
Carol
i figure i'll be senile by the time my son comes home from college "take the car what's a car? heehee
Oh Bob pour a Bombay and tonic for me![beer]

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 05:37:46 PM »
Hey, It is more like National Lampoons Family Vacation.  If we ever meet in person I could tell you stories....We have done this three times.  This time I hope will be the last.  Flying for six was just too expensive.  We are in to family torture.hehe.

Carol, I can't wait until my daughter starts her job. She is going to be living in Boston with her Aunt the flying Nun.  I am a little nervous about her living in Boston, but she is driving me nuts.
My son on the other hand has all of a sudden taken a new turn.  He has matured.  It is werid, he is doing chores without being asked, helping his Dad in the yard.
It is scary.  

Birdie
Birdie--

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 09:13:09 PM »
I asked my daughter to clean her bedroom and, guess what, SHE DID! I checked the closet and her clothes were HUNG UP on the hangers, not just thrown in.

That will be it tho until she moves back to college. I've learned to close the door and keep assorted flora and fauna with her.
carolinamooon

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2002, 09:24:23 PM »
If MY daughter ever hung up her clothes and cleaned up her room I'd drop dead, so I guess I'd better stop wishing for it to happen.

15 is too young for a job, too young to drive herself around, and old enough to be the most ROYAL pain in the butt.

But she DID sign up for a summer's worth of volunteer work, and she IS essentially a good kid....so I guess I'm not really complaining.

Bob.....a glass of Zinfandel over here, please!
Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2002, 10:24:36 PM »

No complaints about my daughter, she's a great kid! The only time she gets a little wild is when she's with her dad's grandson who is close to her age, they're like brother and sister. We lost our second child, which would have been his age, so it works out great that he lives nearby. Otherwise, I end up spending most of my time with her when she's not in school. Parents are not as fun to play with.  ;)

Bob, just a Coke for me. I'm the fuddy duddy here, I don't drink alcohol.  ;D
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2002, 10:27:39 PM »

My son on the other hand has all of a sudden taken a new turn.  He has matured.  It is werid, he is doing chores without being asked, helping his Dad in the yard.
It is scary.

You mean it actually gets better??  Birdie can I ask you what age your son is?  My oldest daughter is 19 and getting her to clean her room is like pulling teeth![argue]   The 16 year old is no better either![roll3] I use to love the summer, now I find myself dreading it. [spin] Thankfully, my oldest will be starting her lifeguard job again in two weeks.  If sitting in that hot sun all day, straining and watching to keep an eye on all the swimmers doesn't tire her out by night time, I don't know what will. (Carol, Im with you on waiting up until they get home)  My youngest is getting a job also.                                      

Birdie, I salute you for driving down with the kids by car to Disney!  We did that about 7 years ago,  never again!!  After that, it was Amtrak for me!!

Patti,  Birdie, Jennifer & Carol,  Let me know when you guys are heading to "The Blue Whale"   I'll be right behind you!! [beer]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2002, 11:39:06 PM »
My son is 19.  He works from 6-10 PM, then first goes out with his friends to have fun--and often doesn't return home until 2 or 3 in the morning.  I've learned to deal with it (what choice do I have?), but it bothers me that he sleeps until 11 or 12 while I'm up at 4:45 AM to get ready for work.  I don't remember nights quite as late as that, and it just bothers me that he's out on the road with drunks and God knows what else.  But he got straight A's both semesters during his freshman year in college and he really is a good-hearted, responsible kid.

Bob, give me a Diet Coke--I can't drink booze because I have diabetes, and it's got to be diet because I'm working on losing weight.  

It's good to know other parents with teenage kids are going through some of what I am.  

Love, Robin

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2002, 01:48:51 AM »
I think the worst vacation we ever had was when we went to the Bahamas when our daughter was 8. Our reservations at Paradise Island had mysteriously disappeared because of a convention( a nationally known company, too!) and we were rerouted to another hotel that we had stayed at previously. At least we had a room, tho! Other travelers were not so fortunate--they were sleeping in the lobby!

I should have known something was going to happen because our daughter threw up as were running to the airport!

Then she started endless coughing all day and night! It drove us nuts but experience told me that it could be an ear infection.  We were told it would be best to visit Princess Margaret Hospital ER which I did and found out that our daughter had otitis media in both ears. I was given a prescription for antibiotics and eardrops.

All I could think of was flying home, the air pressure and a screaming kid for 3 hours! Even tho I am a nurse, I overdosed her with liquid Tylenol(not much, tho) and she slept all the way home.

Also, I forgot to pack my husband's blood pressure pills and he had to get his meds on the QT($20 did the trick) at a Bahamian pharmacy.

Needless to say, we were glad to get home!

On the other hand, a trip to Florida went well until we found out our return flight had mechanical problems and the first flight out was 2 days away! This was over school vacation week around Easter. I said NO WAY and learned from another experienced traveler to ask about FIRST CLASS seats. The ticket agent wasn't happy to tell me that "yes, there were seats available in First Class on the next flight to NYC in 5 hours".  I said, "fine, we'll take them". So, we traveled in First Class at Standard Fare for the first time in our lives and were home on time.
carolinamooon

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2002, 02:23:12 AM »
In answer to your question Cassandra he is 20.  I am in total shock this week.  I came home from the bank and he was standing at the ironing board helping out with the ironing.  He also dusted and vaced today.  Early this week he went to his Grandmothers and did yard work.  He starts his summer job next week.  I still am in shock I have a child that old.  My daughter who is a year behind him is not anywhere near as helpful.

I also feel I am lucky the older two aren't into anything they shouldn't be.  My fingers are crossed that the other two won't put me over the edge.  

My husband and I are so glad they weren't like we were.
Enough said.

Birdie
Birdie--

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2002, 05:10:44 AM »
In answer to your question Cassandra he is 20.  I am in total shock this week.  I came home from the bank and he was standing at the ironing board helping out with the ironing.  He also dusted and vaced today.  Early this week he went to his Grandmothers and did yard work.  He starts his summer job next week.  I still am in shock I have a child that old.  My daughter who is a year behind him is not anywhere near as helpful.

I also feel I am lucky the older two aren't into anything they shouldn't be.  My fingers are crossed that the other two won't put me over the edge.  

My husband and I are so glad they weren't like we were.
Enough said.

Birdie

Hey this is the mother's Club we should meet at The Blue Whale,Cassandra, Bob get all those beverages ready Pretty please![beer]
great to hear everyone's stories Mine are 11 and 4
and everyone thinks that is a good age differance
it's not i don't think there is one!My daughter was mad at me forever because i canceled our trip to disney
in Dec
she told me iwas being a chicken (mind you!) but it wasn't that i really thought something would happen
just felt that some weirdo could be on the plane and start acting up and didn't want to put my kids through it!
at this point amtrak sounds good and we'll get there!
luckily she has moved on to new methods of torture :o[smash]
Birdie can't believe you have a 20 year old!

jennifer

Hope we made you feel better Patti :)hasn't Roger started to grow on you yet! eecks guess i need some sleep!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2002, 11:32:43 PM »

Thanks Birdie! Im glad there's still hope then!  My nephew is 21 now and my sister in law was in shock that he "actually" enjoys going out to eat with them now, where as before you were lucky if you could get him to come home to eat! lol!!   ;)

Robin, I feel the same way as you, I hate when they stay out late. I don't remember staying out that late either. At that age (18) I had no time to stay out late, I was too busy working at the Post office and didn't finish work until 12 midnight, sometimes 2am with overtime. By that time, I just wanted to get home. Besides, having an Italian father waiting up for you by the window was nothing to look forward to facing either. :)

Cheryl, Im real sorry about your loss.  Enjoy your daughter now while she's young. I use to wish mine would grow up so fast, now I find myself wishing they were 5 years old again!!  ;)

Jenn, I agree, I enjoyed hearing everyone's stories as well. It's nice to know that other parents are going through similar experiences. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2002, 12:34:29 AM »
I'm gonna whip ya all up one of my Skyy Blue Curacao martinis.  You'll be amazed at how wonderful life can look after a coupla those.

Gerard