Author Topic: Robservations 6/13/02 - #519/520 - Trask Makes it Right  (Read 1235 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 6/13/02 - #519/520 - Trask Makes it Right
« on: June 12, 2002, 08:38:57 PM »
519 - Roger is on the phone with Vicki when Liz comes in, but his sister doesn't want to talk to anyone. Roger assures Vicki Maggie is welcome to come to Collinwood; he and Cassandra will be delighted to have her stay as long as she likes. Roger goes to his sister, who gazes out the window, and asks if she's heard about Sam's death. I went to Eagle Hill today, says Liz--it's lovely, quiet, lonely, but a feeling of peace. She asks him to promise to bury her there. Roger says he's sad about Sam, but death should be kept in proportion (there was a time Roger threatened to kill Sam, way back when). Liz acknowledges Sam's name for the first time. "He died this evening," Roger tells her. We all die, says Liz, and she will be next-and it will be soon.
Roger is perturbed, frightened, but Liz says death is natural. She's obsessed by it, insists Roger, who asks if she's ill--does he have to asks Julia or Dr. Tobias? She hasn't been to a doctor--she's become aware of how much time has passed, the years she has spent not really living. Roger insists she's feeling sorry for herself--what is making her speak this way? She calls him shallow. He says he's taking Sam's death more strongly than Liz is. She heard about Sam's fight with the monster, and she began worrying the night the monster took Carolyn away--she had a foreboding. What's the reason? asks Roger, are you hiding something? No, replies Liz. Roger wants her to see a doctor, but she refuses. There must be a reason, says Roger.

Roger's bedroom - Cassandra continues to work her wiles, keeping Liz thinking of death, telling her she is going to be seeing life through the eyes of another woman who lived in a different century-Naomi Collins!--you will learn what she knew, and if I choose, you will die as she died, by the same poison. Cassandra has a little apothecary arranged in front of her, but hides it when Roger comes upstairs. (She's wearing the butterfly dress again!) Roger wants to know why the door was locked. Because David kept coming in, she says--she was thinking of that nice Mr. Evans (oh, what a lying bitch)! Roger says Vicki called from the hospital, and Cass wonders if Vicki was alone with Mr. Evans. Maggie will stay with them a few days, says Roger, and Cass agrees that's fine. Liz isn't herself, worries Roger, he had a weird conversation about death with her--it's all Liz can think of.
Cass secretly grins to herself, then kisses Roger's forehead and calls him a worrier. Roger decides to speak to Julia about Liz, which Cass thinks is a good idea. Liz is his sister, he's concerned. He asks Cass to join them for bridge, and Cass asks for half an hour to "freshen up." After he leaves, Cass pulls out her poison and puts some into a container for later use. While she is doing this, Rev. Trask appears behind her. She becomes aware of his presence and swings around, but he's gone. She calls "Roger? David?" She returns to her powder and Trask reappears, grinning, behind her, the special effects, really tacky.

Vicki answers a knock at the door. It's Joe, looking for Maggie. He regrets having gone to work; he should have been with her. She's asleep, Vicki explains--Julia gave her a sedative (Dr. Julia Feelgood strikes again!) They talk about how much Maggie loved her father, and Joe said he'd become very good friends with Sam. Joe slams his fist on the table-he's going to get that monster who killed him! Enough violence, says Vicki, and Joe says he'll marry Maggie ASAP--perhaps they can leave Collinsport, start elsewhere. Vicki asks them not to, but Joe says he can't see Maggie returning to that house--he doesn't want her going back there, even though she'll want to. Joe is angry at himself for not being there when she needed him. Liz comes out of the drawing room and shouts at Joe, "Lt. Forbes. What are you doing here?" She says he isn't welcome--leave or she'll have Ben throw him out. Vicki grabs Liz' shoulder, gives her a little shake, and reminds her this is Joe Haskell, not Forbes. Liz apologizes and runs upstairs, leaving both Joe and Vicki upset. Vicki explains to Joe that Liz thought him someone else, but this makes no sense to Joe. Forbes is someone from the past, explains Vicki, and Joe wonders if Maggie should stay here, given Liz' odd behavior. Cassandra comes downstairs and Vicki murmurs to Joe not to say a word to her about this. Cass offers condolences to Joe about Sam. At least they can be thankful Carolyn is safe at home, comments Cass, who wants to speak to Vicki about David. Vicki directs Joe to Maggie's room. He wants to be the first person she sees when she awakens.

Vicki and Cass go into the drawing room. Cass tells her David seems frightened to her, and now, with Sam's death. . .Vicki was with him until the last, right? Was he conscious before he died? What did he say? Vicki notes the change in subject from David to Sam. Cass says David has been asking about Sam's last words, wondering what his own will be. A macabre game, protests Vicki, but Cass says David should know Sam's last words (how lame, Cass!) His last words were to Maggie, not me, says Vicki icily, and she will tell David if he asks.
Cassandra tries to halt Vicki's exit, but Vicki says she's upset, about Sam and Mrs. Stoddard, too. She isn't well, says Vicki, then adds pointedly, "but you wouldn't know anything about that-would you?" Vicki leaves. Cassandra looks annoyed, foiled again, then, smiling, says, "I know more about Mrs. Stoddard than you do, Miss Winters. I even know what is going to happen to her. If David isn't frightened of death now, he will be tomorrow." Cassandra leaves the poison-filled case in the desk, then hears a voice call out, "Angelique Collins." She tells the apparition of Trask that isn't her name, but it was when he knew her well, he says. She insists she doesn't know him, but he assures her that although the devil has painted her hair, he still recognizes her. She backs away. He accuses her of being responsible for his death, and of letting Vicki hang-I've come to right that wrong, he says, the lord allowed it. "Ghost!" she cries, "you will disappear." He says they will see which of their masters if stronger-the eternal battle will be waged here, in this house. She commands him to return to where he came from, but he says he has something stronger than Satan's words, and forces her to look at a cross, which he pulls from his pocket. She passes out, and Trask thanks the lord for giving him the strength to battle her again. "The devils in you shall be driven out this day," he promises Cassandra, holding up her head.

In the woods, Trask has tied Cass to a tree. What are you going to do to me? she asks. He has watched her since he was brought back, but refuses to tell her who did so. Her hours of vengeance are nearly over, he vows. She denies practicing vengeance. Whoever brought him back is wrong, and he will never rest.
He draws a cross on her forehead with his thumb, making her cry out. She has given him the proof he needs, he says, since she can't look at the sign of goodness. Is she prepared to give up her evil? He demands. She tells him to leave her alone, dipping down her head, and he asks, "And let Satan use you for his terrible work? Never!" She tells him he can't change her. He agrees, but the power of goodness will draw the devils from her. No, she says. He walks around the tree and demands that the unclean spirits that possess her body remove themselves, leaving her free to become a servant of the true lord. She tells Trask HE is the devil, he has the spirit of evil in him. He shouts out that her blasphemous cries not be heard-- judge not by what she says, give him the power to step on the serpents and scorpion which inhabit her. She admits she lived before, he says. She orders Trask to drop the cross, commanding him with all her power, but he refuses. He continues to call for the judge of the quick and the dead to depart in haste from this unworthy creature, that she may return to the bosom of goodness. "NEVER"! Cass cries. They go back and forth, with Trask expounding on his power. He finally presses the cross to her forehead, screaming, "Devils, go forth!" "You're killing me!" she screeches. He continues to call for the devils to rise from her throat, and she grimaces and breaths heavily. He orders God to have pity on this poor, suffering servant of Satan. "I. . .can't breathe," she moans. "Depart from her, you cursed demons!" adjures Trask, as a fly tries to zip into his mouth. "Leave nothing that is not as pure and innocent as a child, newly born!" calls Trask. There is a horrific scream from Cassandra, and Trask calls, "Her spirit is free!" The butterfly-clad witch disappears and Trask proudly surveys his handiwork-the empty ropes hanging slackly around the tree. Trask sinks to his knees, cross clasped in his hand.

NOTES: Sorry, folks, the Liz/death storyline never appealed to me. I found it dull and wearing.

As much as we despised Trask, it sure was fun seeing him give the REAL with her comeuppance, wasn't it? Is she really, really gone, or is this just another of her temporary visits away?

520 - Collinwood, 9 AM - Julia comes in from a pre-breakfast walk and cheerfully greets Roger, who is concerned because Cassandra seems to be missing. She hasn't seen her, she tells him, and he worriedly says the last time he saw her was in their room last night. Roger has a bad feeling, and Julia thinks he should heed that feeling. Julia asked who saw Cassandra last-Vicki, at 9 PM. Roger took a sleeping pill because he hadn't been sleeping well. Cass' clothes weren't there, he's convinced something has happened and he's calling the police!

9:30 - Julia answers a knock at the door. It's Barnabas, and she's glad to see him. She tells him about Cassandra's disappearance, and he doesn't believe it, but Roger called the police. Barnabas is half smiling, wondering if he's actually escaped his witch-wife and can live out his life. He fears she'll come back in with an absurd excuse. Julia says Trask finally got his revenge on Angelique, and Barn speculates on whether the Reverend returned to "that other world." They both wish there was a way to know for certain, that Trask could give them a sign. Then she remembers-Trask's skeleton. If he's ended Cassandra, his skeleton will be back where it was, Trask at peace at last. They must go check-if it's there, Barnabas will be free. Eagerly, they leave together for the Old House basement. Barnabas fears even looking, wondering if Trask won't rest until he finishes him, too. Julia reassures him. Julia checks first-the skeleton is there! "It's true!" exults Barnabas. "Angelique is no more!" He hardly dares to believe it, and asks Ang to give him a sign if she still exists. No, says Barn, she won't appear-her cruelty will want him to hope. He must hope, says Julia, and Barnabas agrees: "I must!"

Collinwood drawing room - Roger angrily tells Julia the sheriff thinks he and Cassandra fought, and wonders about why the Collinses attract trouble, tragedy-and he's worried about Liz, who didn't recognize Joe and thought him Nathan Forbes. Liz keeps thinking about death. His sister joins them, calling Roger Joshua, and Julia the countess. He calls her Liz, and she says while she is used to his neglect, she never thought he'd forget her name. (This is weirdly funny.) When Julia calls her Mrs. Stoddard, Liz accuses them of plotting against her, of trying to drive her mad. They deny it, but Liz goes on about them wanting to lock her up like Millicent.
They want her to believe Barnabas is dead, but her son has been seen. Roger tells her Barnabas isn't her son, and she says he asks too much. He tells her she has no son, and she calls him cruel. Liz tells Julia that while Joshua speaks with such authority, she almost believes him. When the Countess arrived, she had a son named Barnabas. Julia tells Liz who she really is, but Liz says she knows who she really is. Roger orders Liz to stop, and she tells HIM to stop--why is he keeping Barnabas from her, he isn't dead, and if he knows where he is. . .Julia and Roger exchange concerned looks-they must stop her. Liz accuses them of whispering about her. Roger tells Liz Barnabas is at the Old House and Julia agrees. Liz wants to go to him, but Roger says their cousin Barnabas from England is there. Liz says she'll see for herself, and they can't stop her-she loves her son, even if. . .even if he is one of the living dead. Julia looks really worried about this, and asks Roger as if his sister is mad. Julia tells Roger Liz doesn't know what she's saying, but Liz says she was with Barnabas when he died, yet he still lives. Roger begs his sister to think clearly. The Barnabas she speaks of died 200 years ago. She says their marriage has become lies and deceit. "Marriage?" bursts out Roger. Julia tries to encourage Liz to rest upstairs, but Liz is horrified the countess is ordering her around, and feels she is held in little regard. Liz observes Joshua's silence, and tells him he will miss her. He says her name is Naomi when he calls her Liz, and she stalks off in anger. Julia sends Roger after her-agree to everything she advises, and perhaps they should hospitalize her under observation. Roger says he can't institutionalize Liz, and she says, lip trembling, he will wish he had.

Old House basement, a dark and stormy night - Julia brings Barnabas up to snuff on Liz' claims that he's one of the living dead. How can she reenact something that happened long ago? agonizes Barnabas--what if Liz connects living dead to vampire and tells Roger? You aren't a vampire anymore, Julia reminds him, he doesn't need to do anything. Barnabas fears Roger will put things together. He will know Liz is mad, but Barn says Liz is telling history as it was, saying things no one else knows-and Cassandra is making her! He asks if she still thinks Cassandra is gone, saying it isn't scientific thinking, but Barnabas reminds her he asked to hear Angelique's laughter, but she remained silent-for reasons. Who else could have put this spell on Liz? asks Barnabas. He's been a fool. Julia says perhaps Cassandra started this spell, but after Trask took her away. . .no, Barnabas insists Angelique won't be happy until Liz says the word vampire.
Julia tells Barn to go to the house, perhaps if she sees him. . .what about his reliving the terrible night his mother committed suicide rather than face what he had become? Oh, God, Liz might do the same. The sight of Barnabas might bring Liz back to reality-and remember that THAT Barnabas Collins no longer exists-the vampire is gone, only the man lives on. They head upstairs.

Liz tucks a note addressed to Joshua into an envelope, then pours herself a drink. She stares at the glass, wondering why she's doing this. She tells herself to go to the desk. She sets down the drink, opens the desk drawer, takes out Angelique's container of poison and slips it into her drink.
"Barnabas, oh my Barnabas!" she laments, and drinks down the poisoned booze. "Now I can face you as you are," she murmurs, and walks slowly upstairs.

Barnabas and Julia arrived at Collinwood, but there is no sign if Liz. Julia tells him no matter how painful, he must tell her, step by step, what happened the night his mother died. I was in the tower, he says, but I don't know what my mother did before coming upstairs--she wrote a note to my father. After finding the suicide note addressed to Joshua, and the two of them rush upstairs to the tower.

Tower room - Liz begs Barnabas to let her in, to see him once, and she opens the door on the empty room now littered with books. She calls to Barnabas, feeling the poison working on her. "No, not until I see him," she cries. Barnabas runs in. Liz begs her "son" to hold her. I am not your son and you aren't Naomi, says Barnabas-you are under a spell. No, you are, she insists--Joshua told me you were dead, but you are alive--what is true? I'm not under a spell! says Barnabas. I did what I had to do, says Liz, fading, I have no life, she told me that. We must get you to a doctor, Barnabas says. He clasps her in his arms, demanding to know what she took, but she says it was in the desk where she left it so long ago.
Julia hovers in the doorway as Liz tells him it's too late and collapses in his arms. Barnabas begs Julia, "Do something." Julia checks the unconscious woman's pulse.

NOTES: Seems too soon for Cassandra's spell to be working; she wanted to make Liz suffer more, didn't she?-and since she disappeared, thanks to Reverend Trask, why is her spell still holding Liz in its power? You would think that once the witch was gone, such a spell would go, too. Will Liz suffer Naomi's sad fate? Will modern medicine save her?

Poor Barnabas doesn't dare celebrate Cassandra's demise too soon. He knows only too well how easily and quickly she comes back!

Lucky for Barnabas that Liz seems so flaky-what if he believed her blathering about him being "one of the living dead"?

Love, Robin