Author Topic: I Annoy Barnabas  (Read 3463 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
I Annoy Barnabas
« on: August 09, 2008, 01:56:41 AM »
1st official DS dream... 1968 I guess, the setting, though dreamed today.   I was some unspecified man Julia was bringing into their situation without warning or explanation, just assurances that I was necessary and trustworthy.   This is just what Barnabas loves to hear, of course.   She splits, I'm left on my own with Barnabas, who then for some reason has to leave just that moment, leaving me completely on my own.   He's half mortified at the thought that I'm going to be alone there to do who know what, but he has to go.

I am trustworthy in this piece, but it was fun watching Barnabas not know that, not knowing how much I knew (everything), not even being able to have a real conversation because he couldn't afford to give anything away.   So a lot of tension from him, no tension from me, since I knew things were alright.

This thing veers back and forth between my being an actor speaking my first couple of lines in my first scene in DS (I'm not a professional and am anxious, hoping I just turn out to be a "natural" I guess), to my being the character.

This was not the Old House.  Barnabas had a cramped (studio?) apartment, a long but narrow room, crammed with wooden antiques, split level, with three or four steps up needed to get to one end, which was just big enough for a (rolltop?) desk and not much else.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: I Annoy Barnabas
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:33:26 PM »
a long but narrow room
With a hinged ceiling?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 04:35:14 PM »
Is that a reference to something?   I never looked up.   

Occasionally I've known I was dreaming, and I look around to check out how much actual detail there is visually around me.   I've suspected that I just have the idea in my head that there's a lot of intricate detail, without my having actually created all that detail in the image itself.  It turned out that I really do fill dream images with cool detail.   This room really was stuffed with old furniture that Barnabas might have had.  Maybe he had to move out of the Old House and wanted as much of his stuff in there with him as possible.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 07:18:19 PM »
The few dreams I've had about Dark Shadows have been... odd. They usually involve things that would never happen on the show, like Barnabas and Julia going on a road trip so that they can watch Vicki compete in the Special Olympics. [ghost_huh]
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:00:10 PM »
Okay you take the cake!!  That is odd [ghost_wacko] I always dream I am saving innocents with The Charmed Ones.  I haven't had any DS related dreams in forever, which is weird, cause I have been watching the heck out of my DVDS!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 02:25:14 AM »
I sometimes have crossover dreams. I had a dream once that consisted entirely of Dale Cooper telling Maggie how "damn good" the diner's coffee was.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:51:46 AM »
Sure it wasn't "damn fine" coffee?   Now I want the Log Lady to show up at Collinwood...

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »
LOL on the log lady. But not Dale Cooper?

Anyway, I remember a few DS dreams when I first got seriously hooked on the show.  Most headed me toward some fanfiction ideas,but some are a cool scene in search of a plot.

A number of them were crossovers, too. Two I remember that might actually make sense to someone else are:

1) Quentin on the deck of the Titanic holding a gun on a crewmember so SOMEONE can get in a lifeboat (that one became part of a work still in progress)   [rifle]

2)  Present day Quentin woken up by the ghost of Marion Ravenwood, who refers to him as babyface, and has come back to get his help with something.

Anyone else for odd DS dreams?

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:22:14 PM »
Sure it wasn't "damn fine" coffee?
I'm aware that it's "damn fine," but apparently my subconscious isn't.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 04:55:19 AM »
LOL on the log lady. But not Dale Cooper?

1) Quentin on the deck of the Titanic holding a gun on a crewmember so SOMEONE can get in a lifeboat (that one became part of a work still in progress)   [rifle]

Oh, I'd love everyone from Twin Peaks there, and everyone from "Twin Beaks" (anyone see the Sesame Street parody where the town was all birds with two beaks?  Surprisingly freaky!  The Cookie Monster as Cooper, gobbling down the pie!  The log had a face and talked!) too.   But wouldn't an FBI agent showing up in town end up being a "bad guy" in DS 1968?   Anyone who might expose Barnabas we're not supposed to like anymore....

I like the Q moment.   I hesitate to insert big, known historical events into stories myself though, because it seems too convenient or contrived.   Good writing can fix almost everything, though...

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 05:32:12 AM »
Thank you so very much for informing me of that sketch's existence. I found it on YouTube and loved it. Shame that the only parody they included on the Gold Box Set was the SNL one. But we're beginning to go pretty far off-topic now. [ghost_wacko]

I had another strange Dark Shadows dream once. It was a strange music video (and no, not the Caramelldansen video that my signature links to) that I want to make a reality soon. But mentioning the song would give far too much away. It was very strange, though...

My mother's joke about Barnabas and Angelique being included as playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl also spawned a few interesting daydreams.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 10:45:08 AM »
Is that a reference to something?   I never looked up.   
A long but narrow enclosed area housing a vampire or ex-vampire or once and future vampire...sounds to me like
[spoiler]a coffin.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 10:57:21 AM »
I figured that later when I was trying to sleep.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »
I once dreamt of Barnabas coming toward me, with his mouth open, and baring his fangs! BRRR! [ghost_blink]

Of course I had the dream after I had watched House of Dark Shadows one night. [ghost_nowink]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 09:33:50 PM »
Well I finally had a DS dream last night.  It was really strange.  It was like a roll up of my life/meeting Lara Parker/and getting busy with a friend of mine/running from assassin's.  ALL IN ALL NOT a bad dream.  It was really fun.  I finally got to present Lara with the zine I did for her.  I got to evade assassin's Ala Charlies Angels (looking good while doing it) and I indulged in some carnal pleasure!!!  [ghost_shocked] 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/