Author Topic: Grayson's Disney Haunted House voiceover work site  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: Grayson's Disney Haunted House voiceover work site
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2002, 06:08:51 AM »
Brian (Who can't even believe he actually admitted to watching the Partridge family -- what's next? Admission to watching THE MONKEES?  (Don't ask!!)

Hmm... dare I admit that I watched the Brady Bunch well into my teens because I was madly in love with Marcia?

Nah, maybe I'd better not.

[shadow=red,left,300]--M[/shadow]

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2002, 07:40:14 AM »
I remember the album very well, my brother had it. We played it to death in the late 60's and early 70's. I too didn't know about Grayson Hall, that's neat that there's a Dark Shadows connection to it. I remember taking the album to school in the second grade for a Halloween party, also hearing it blasting from houses on Halloween nights. I think my favorite was the cat fight. Raineypark, on the issue of CD format, it has taken me 20 years to find a lot of the albums I listened to in high school. Some of them have only come out on CD within the last year. I haven't been to Disneyland since the 80's. A late friend of mine worked at the Haunted Mansion. He was one of the guys you saw standing out front dressed as an undertaker. I have a brother who really is an undertaker and mortician. He's the one that watched Dark Shadows with me when we were kids! Did anyone else ever get stuck in the Haunted Mansion?

It happened to me 3 times. The ride broke down. It was fun though, I was with my then boyfriend at the time. It always happened in the graveyard, with all the spooks popping out, and a shadow of a big hand coming out from behind a grandfather clock. Ah memories!  :o
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2002, 09:53:50 AM »
>>>>>For as long as I can remember, I've forced everybody that's been with me at Disneyland to go inside the Haunted Mansion at least once, but it's only been the last 5 years that I've known about Grayson's work on the original recording.  So, I started listening for her voice since then but it's nowhere to be heard in or outside of the attraction, at least not anymore.  

Hi Midnite! I am new to the DS boards here, but not new to DS fandom. Having been a fan of the show since the original run in the 60's, and going to the first conventions as far back as the SHADOWCONS of 1979.
Being a Disneyland fan as well as a DS one, I wanted to let you know that even though Grayson recorded her voice for that album, at no time was her voice ever heard or used in the attraction at the park.  The album that Grayson did was done 6 years before the Haunted House opened in August 1969, and had nothing to do with the attraction. Paul Frees was the original voice in the attraction and his wonderful original 1969 narration continues to haunt the halls in Disneyland to this very day.  Looking forward to posting here more frequently.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2002, 05:09:37 PM »
Hiya, doombuggy69, and welcome!  Thanks for letting me know her voice was never used in the attraction.  I'd heard rumors stating otherwise and am glad you were able to clear that up for me.  I still love the Haunted Mansion, though. ;)

Looking forward to hearing more from you!!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2002, 05:24:34 PM »

Okay, Mark. . .let's all thank (or blame?) Bobubas!!! (A good friend of mine appeared in a stage show last weekend in which other cast members suddenly appeared as Shirley, Laurie, Danny and Keith--my friend's fantasy in the play was that Keith fell in love with him--and two audience members were brought up to play the two youngest Partridges!)

In the meantime, I'm now of the lookout for that Disney LP--I emailed Mom and asked her to send it down to FL!

Brian
(Who can't even believe he actually admitted to watching the Partridge family -- what's next? Admission to watching THE MONKEES?  (Don't ask!!)   ;D

Hey Brian loved those Monkees! also loved the scene in the new brady bunch movie when all the teachers
flocked around Davey Jones that would be Me!

jennifer
don't tell my daughter that i embarrass her enough by just breathing! 8)
Tiger beat is still around isn't it?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2002, 06:03:19 PM »
Thanks Doombuggy for the work you have done in presenting Grayson's work on the Haunted House album to the public.  I appreciate your choice of photo for her, too--one of my favorites!

I'm interested in your statement that Grayson's voice was never heard in the Haunted Mansion.  The only thing I had ever heard about this was from a fan who had a friend who THOUGHT she had heard GH's voice coming from a gypsy fortuneteller in the Mansion.  It's been so long since I was last there that I don't even remember whether there was a gypsy fortuneteller in there or not!  I guess memory can play tricks upon one--you say that the Haunted Mansion opened in August of '69, yet I could have sworn that I took the ride on my visit to Disneyland in August of '68.  It was such a long time ago ...

It would be great to find someone who could check the Disney archives and see whether there's any paperwork there about Grayson's contract for That Darn Cat.  Would be intriguing to see whether any paperwork survived for the work she did on the recording.

Best wishes,

Steve Shutt

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2002, 07:04:48 PM »
!I'm interested in your statement that Grayson's voice was never heard in the Haunted Mansion.  The only thing I had ever heard about this was from a fan who had a friend who THOUGHT she had heard GH's voice coming from a gypsy fortuneteller in the Mansion.  It's been so long since I was last there that I don't even remember whether there was a gypsy fortuneteller in there or not!

I recall that you and I discussed the subject of the fortuneteller once so when I last visited Disneyland I looked for her. The fortuneteller does indeed exist in the Haunted Mansion--as a head inside of a crystal ball. The voice of the gypsy is deep, like Graysons, and I can see where someone who had not heard her voice in a while might think it could be her. Listening to her everyday though, I can swear that it is not.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2002, 07:14:15 PM »
Mark wrote:
I had Partridge Family albums, too. Several. You know what else? I've now got a slew of Partridge Family mp3s. Go on. Laugh all you want to. Bobubas made me do it. For real, he did. Ask Minja.

Hmm... dare I admit that I watched the Brady Bunch well into my teens because I was madly in love with Marcia? Nah, maybe I'd better not

Oh yeah right,...He...made...you do it!
As I recall, there was no arm twisting involved since all it took was his skillful plying of some very potent mudslides![crazd]

From Marcia, Marcia, Marcia to Joanna Going.  Yer taste improved over the years!
[thumb]

Jennifer wrote:
also loved the scene in the new brady bunch movie when all the teachers

OhMyGawd Jennifer...that was THE most priceless scene in the whole film!  ROFLMAO...but...yeah...I'd be up there in front of the stage too! :o

[shadow=purple,left,300]Always, Minja [beer][/shadow]
BOBBY SHERMAN 4-EVER!!![hello]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2002, 07:32:26 PM »
Oh JOY!!! I went through my aging collection of LP's last night and found it!  Thanks again Julia99 for the info...I never would have known had it not been for this board.  ;D

CastleBee ~ who liked Davy Jones but would have been more likely to have rushed the stage for Micky Dolenz! (Those Brady Bunch parodies were great BTW).
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2002, 07:33:00 PM »
Hi Steve,

I haved lived only 10 minutes away from Disneyland for over 27 years, and I know people that have worked at the park for years. Please tell your friend that I can assure him that Grayson's voice was never used at all on the actual attraction.  The Haunted Mansion opened on August 16th 1969, but the outside facade of the house was at the park since 1964. That is probably why you remember it being there in 1968. But at that time it was empty!  It stood empty for 5 years while Disney worked with his Imaginering company to get the attraction going.  It was planned as a walkthrough originally, (Like the Pirates ride!) and when that didn't work, they had to build the actual ride in a concealed building behind the mansion, and under the railroad tracks.  Disney who had been planning the ride since 1964,  got sidetracked in order to work on the Pirates of the Carribean. Which opened 6 months after he died in Dec 1966.  

As for today, (2002) the HM ride is 98% accurate to how it looked on opening day in 1969. Nothing that drastic has been changed. There never was a gypsy fortune teller in there. Your friend is probably thinking of the seance scene. That character is called Madame Leota. The voice and face in the crystal ball is that of Eleoner Audley, who did lots of voice work  for Disney animated movies.  All of the Disney attraction recordings were recorded in Califorinia, in a Burbank recording studio. At that time Grayson was in NY doing DS, so I doubt she would have been able to do it even if they had asked her. That would have been wonderful though to know that if she had done it, her voice would still be a major part of that ride today, long after her passing!  When she did the HM album in 1964, she had just finished "That Darn Cat" for Disney and was easily available.

Steve I hope you will get a chance to go to Disneyland and the wonderful HM ride, if you come to the FESTIVAL at the end of the month.
By the way, my user name doombuggy is named after the HM vehicles that take you to the spirit world in the ride!  :)   DS Forever!

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2002, 07:42:59 PM »
Hi Bette!  :)

Well, I never really considered Madame Leota, (who's face is in the attraction seance scene) a gypsy fortune teller. But I guess you are right on that one, you could probably call her that. When I think of a gypsy fortune teller, I instantly think of Grayson's wonderful 1897 Magda, or Maria Ouspenskaya, who played Maleva in the 1941 film the WOLFMAN.  The woman in the crystal ball does not look gypsy-like to me. Kind of like Cleo on the TV commercials!  

But Eleaner Audley has always been the face an voice in the mansion since opening day in 1969.  I would have loved it to have been Grayson though.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2002, 10:42:21 PM »

Hey Brian loved those Monkees! also loved the scene in the new brady bunch movie when all the teachers

jennifer

Me Too Jennifer, and I'd be right up there with you. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2002, 10:47:28 PM »
Hi to you too doombuggy  [hello]

I love the origin of your username. You really are an expert on Disneyland. I think that I assumed the face in the crystal ball was a gypsy because that is what I was looking for at the time, and there is no other evidence of gypsies in the HM.

Thanks also for telling us who the main voice of the HM belongs to. Every time that I go I think that he sounds just like Orson Welles and wondered if Orson could possibly have recorded it. Now I have my answer. :D

Hope to meet you at the Fest this year. I could use your advice as to whether there is anything special to do at the California Adventure. I have heard that it's fairly ordinary compared to Disneyland.

Speaking of meeting--Midnite, will this crowd be hanging out around the bar again this year? I have been assigned to have an extra rum and coke in Nicky's honor.  [beer]

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2002, 12:27:17 AM »
Speaking of meeting--Midnite, will this crowd be hanging out around the bar again this year? I have been assigned to have an extra rum and coke in Nicky's honor. [beer]

Aren't we always?  ;)

Also, PatrickM from the SciFi boards plans to reserve a meeting room for his Florida fan group and has invited the dsboards crowd too (and Dominion folk and chatters and Newsgroup users as well).  He has done this for all the most recent west coast Fests, and it's a good way to meet up with net friends we might otherwise miss and provides an opportunity for a group photo for anyone interested.  Anyway, it'll most likely be on the Saturday morning of the  Fest; I can post the info on this board as it gets closer and on the Festival bulletin board too located near the registration area.

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2002, 01:18:13 AM »
Hi Bette!

Thank you for your kind welcome.  This is a great board.  ;D

As for which park to choose, unless you like dull amusement park roller coaster rides, and standing in hot outdoor attractions, I DO NOT recommend the new CA Adventure Park. It is mostly a shopping plaza outdoor mall, and not worth the $34.00 ticket.  Absolutely, I  suggest the original, main park for your entertainment needs.  You will have the most fun on,  (And not in any order) Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Honey I shrunk the Audience and Splash Mountain!   You should use the FAST PASS too if the lines are too long.  They are available outside the attractions and it will hold your place in line while you go do other things!  
;)  Hot tip!  You might try taking your ticket over to the new CA Adventure park, and seeing if they let you in.  I've had friends who were given a day pass when I was there, and they let them in to both parks when they showed their tickets to the attendant!!  

Yes, I guess Paul Frees does sound a little like Orson Welles.  I think Mr. Frees is a little more humorous and campy in his tone though. Orson is always so serious.

I always wished that Jonathan Frid, with his superb vocal tones would have been a good narrator for the mansion. And to have Grayson as the voice of the fortune teller, how awesome that would be!