Author Topic: Online articles in FANGORIA, CINESCAPE  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Online articles in FANGORIA, CINESCAPE
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2002, 02:21:24 AM »

Vlad,

I just posted this excerpt on another thread as this kind of thing about Frid was being discussed - why his career hit a wall after DS ended. 

Thanks -- I did notice that thread after posting my comments here.  Frid doesn't shrink from speaking his mind, does he?  I admire his integrity and his resistance to "selling" himself.  It must take strength to do that.  What the world deems as success in the end may be only dross.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Nancy

Re: Online articles in FANGORIA, CINESCAPEe
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2002, 05:24:49 AM »

Thanks -- I did notice that thread after posting my comments here.  Frid doesn't shrink from speaking his mind, does he?  I admire his integrity and his resistance to "selling" himself.  It must take strength to do that.  What the world deems as success in the end may be only dross.

It also depends on if you have a family to feed.  Sometimes you have to make professional choices that are more lucrative but less satisfying to fulfill those obligations.  Frid admits he didn't have that issue so he could be more particular about what he would and would not do.  I don't find it surprising that he would prefer to not act at all as opposed do doing material he did not like.  Very early in the 1980s Frid outlined plans to do a lecture tour and other more academic things since his original goal was to be a drama professor.  The one-man shows provided him with the perfect solution to his professional dilemma: he wanted to work but under his own terms.
To me, that's success. I'm sure many of us would love to be able to do that.

Nancy

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Online articles in FANGORIA, CINESCAPE
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2002, 08:11:14 AM »
I enjoyed reading the articles, they were good. I used to buy Fangoria and Cinescape a lot when I was a teenager. The first issue I bought of Fangoria in 1980 had Jack Nicholson from "The Shining" on the cover. I noticed a picture of him from "The Shining" too when I clicked on the linked. What a trip!  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan