Author Topic: Characters Ages. I need a little help here.  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Characters Ages. I need a little help here.
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 01:11:30 AM »
Lara Parker is also writing a novel about Elizabeth and Quentin in the 1920s. If she has Elizabeth as a young adult in that novel, that throws Elizabeth's 1917 birth into question. [ghost_wacko]

I started to write, as a hobby, an epic novel about the Collins family from 1918 (the end of WWI and the beginning of the influenza epidemic) through 1949 called Occasion of Sin.  I placed Elizabeth as being born in 1917 as the series stated.  I got through almost 200 pages of it (and that only took us to 1932 before I stopped since the HarperCollins series had ended).  I included even Carl Collins (since it took place before Barnabas returned to the past and, welll, you know), among many other characters, including Jamison and Norah.  I was in contact with Denise Nickerson at the time and asked her advice on how I was developing her character and she was very supportive.

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »
I would love to know more about the young Elizabeth and Roger and their development. Roger commented once about being fearful of Collinwood as a young boy.  Liz would have been about 28/29 when Carolyn was born if the family bible is to be believed. Liz was groomed for leadership of the family businesses by her father because apparently Roger was a problem.  It's interesting that David was heir apparent to take over Collins Enterprises instead of Carolyn. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »
I have a hard time buying Elizabeth as 18 years older than Roger. But hey, I have a hard time buying Barnabas as 12 years older than Sarah, too.

Bennett was 13 years older than Louis Edmonds.
Julia99

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2008, 07:18:17 PM »
Additionally a problem with Jeremiah and Laura is that in 1795 there is no mention of his having been married before....so maybe the person who had the idea Barnabas may have met Laura when he was 10 but maybe she was not married to Jeremiah might make sense, if say in reality Jeremiah was a couple of years older than Barnabas, which might be the case, they could have ALMOST been the same ages...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 03:07:33 AM »
i can certainly buy carolyn as "17" when the series began.

in the early episodes she very much played the character like a teenager.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.