Author Topic: Carolyn Gettin' Groovey! (Spoilers EP 2)  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Carolyn Gettin' Groovey! (Spoilers EP 2)
« on: July 22, 2008, 06:29:34 AM »
U guys have no idea how much I love the second ep of DS. [spoiler]had seen the clips of NB shaking and moving on the DS Music Video cassette and I loved it.  The song playing is "Back At The Blue Whale?"  Anyways NB is eithe scared to death or having a great time.  She looks like the latter. What a great introduction for a character!  I could watch that part of the episodes over and over.  And all the other people dancing.  So funny.  One guy looks like he is trying to do the jerk but it ain't workin out too well!! LOL[/spoiler]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn Gettin' Groovey! (Spoilers EP 2)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:55:03 PM »
My take is that Collinsport was never on the cutting edge of pop culture and the style of dancing the kids at the Blue Whale were doing was a few years past it's prime.   I've never been a person who had to be 'cutting edge' so the dancing was cool for me.  I remember dancing that way back in Junior High and going to what they called Friday Night Socials.  The chaperones at the dance were usually two off duty policemen (not in uniform) who were in charge of making sure that the kids didn't dance too close to one another. Ah, the memories of the doing the watusi, twist, cha-cha and rock and roll, etc.  We didn't have a lot of money for entertainment so we crammed 8 or 10 kids into a booth after the dance and everyone chipped in for a small cheese pizza!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:25:47 AM »
Speaking of Carolyn, now looking at the daily episode captures on Robservations, we have one of my two favorite Carolyns:  the 1995, driven-to-insanity 48-year-old Carolyn.  The makeup is superb along with her acting.  That scene where she eats the grapes while prattling on in madness is simply brilliant.  (My other favorite Carolyn is the PT1970 neo-alcoholic Carolyn Loomis.)

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:48:35 AM »
Gerard,
I love Crazy Carolyn as well and I loooooooove PT Carolyn.  I wish she would have been featured more. I really like PT time except when the "old timers" as Dan put it were gone.  It was okay for a while..but it was wearing me out towards the end.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:54:09 PM »
indeed carolyn gyrating at the blue whale was a great introduction to the character.it's an image that will be burned onto my retina forever.

i always loved the spoiled and petulant carolyn of the 1966 episodes and adored her catty,mean-spirited turn as vampire assistant in 1967.

but,as has been suggested here,my respect for nancy barrett as a great actress grew exponentially with the 1970 parallel-time storyline as well as the 1995 episodes.she was very moving in both sequences.

nancy said in one of the books that she had played eight characters by the time the series ended.i can only count six:carolyn,millicent,charity,pt-carolyn,leiticia(her only portrayal i disliked)and melanie.is she counting 1995 as being a separate character perhaps?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:05:03 AM »
Well techinically she was Charity but did play "PANSY" as well!  I cannot beleive you didn't like Leticia!  I loved her!!  But hey if we were all alike that would suck!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:13:49 AM »
i found leiticia to be somewhat campy and unsubtle and just sort of a knockoff of nancy's popular "pansity" character from 1897.

perhaps it's just that i'm not that fond of the 1840 storyline in general.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:24:52 AM »
Well, I loved Leticia (and 1840) and thought she was a great character...but I can hear what you're saying, mscbryk. She and Pansy did seem a bit too similar.

They both spoke with a English accent, they were both mentalists...[spoiler] and they both had a bit of murderous blood in them....though not so much with Leticia. She only tried to stab Gerard/Judah whereas Charity/Pansy tried to poison Beth, went after Quentin with a knife and then staked Barnabas (or rather his "twin"). At one time she let her daddy Gregory know she'd kill anyone and everyone that would keep her away from Quentin. [/spoiler]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:41:42 AM »
Pansity provided what I consider the funniest non-flub moment on the show ([spoiler]when she bumps her hips into Gregory's while singing! I love that bit so much, especially Jerry Lacy's reaction![/spoiler]), so I like her a lot for that alone. She does lose points for constantly singing that song, though.

Back on topic, I agree that, though kind of silly, the dance sequence in EP2 was a great introduction to Carolyn and let us know everything we needed to know about her relationship with Joe.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 04:21:42 AM »
I agree that, though kind of silly, the dance sequence in EP2 was a great introduction to Carolyn and let us know everything we needed to know about her relationship with Joe.

Silly? I thought it was slice of the 60's PRESERVED for all enternity! :)

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »
Silly, not because of the dances that they were doing (although according to some posters on this thread, those dances were rather dated for 1966), but because... well, I don't know. You have to admit that some of those guys had really goofy expressions on their faces. [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:45:22 PM »
She played Brutus Collins' wife Amanda (?) in one episode of PT 1841.  And in NoDS, she played a character who was never seen on the show.  If she was blurring the TV show and the movies together, that's at least eight--nine if you regard original Charity and possessed Charity as different people (which I would say they were).

G.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 04:14:04 PM »
From the interviews on my old VHS tapes, I recall Nancy saying she had tested out for Vicki but got the role of Carolyn instead and she was so happy she did. Carolyn was a "wild girl" whereas Vicki was a bit too on the sweet side for her.

I must say I too am glad that Nancy was cast as Carolyn too. And I did watch the way she was dancing in the second episode, it did seem like she was really enjoying herself.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 04:36:04 PM »
nancy said in one of the books that she had played eight characters by the time the series ended.i can only count six:carolyn,millicent,charity,pt-carolyn,leiticia(her only portrayal i disliked)and melanie.is she counting 1995 as being a separate character perhaps?

The way her roles are laid out in the DS Almanacs is: Carolyn Stoddard Hawkes (1966-1970), Millicent Collins Forbes (1795, 1796), Charity Trask (1897), Carolyn Loomis (1970PT), Carolyn Stoddard Hawkes aka Carolyn Fredericks (1995), Leticia Faye (1840), Melanie Collins Young (1841PT), Amanda Collins (1680PT, 1841PT). So, presumably that's also how she works it out to eight.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 11:51:55 PM »
Seeing as how 1995 Carolyn was the same person, just incredibly traumatized, she may count Charity and Pansity as two separate roles, as well.