Author Topic: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!  (Read 20472 times)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2008, 05:31:53 PM »
Just two things to add to this thread:

1) I LOVED the first skit by the Collinsport Players! Everyone was phenomenal, and the script was imaginative and creative. Of course, our Prof. Stokes was a standout to me, but the rest of the cast performed very well. It was, as Midnite said, a departure from the usual comedic stuff and quite welcome and enjoyable.

2) The banquet food was atrocious and inedible! In fact, two of my roommates got sick from it. I tried it but was unable to eat it. It was as if someone put the lasagna together with Elmer's Glue! I, too, wound up eating at the Daily Grill afterward, which ticked me off. As Prof. Stokes said, we spent too much money just to have bread and salad. Then again, there have been festivals where even the chicken dinner was inedible. Bottom line, really is, it's not about the food. It's about the fun and being with friends. While I'm not happy about throwing away money, so to speak, I won't forego next year's banquet. It's just too much fun! And hey! Maybe next year, AngeliqueWins and I will get to stake the traditional cheesecake. This year, there was this godawful fruit tart which was disgusting! I dont' know what the filling was, but it almost tasted rancid. Everyone at my table just nibbled at the fruit and threw the rest out. What a waste!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »
Even with Roger Davis's comments about his money and Don Briscoe (actually, I was more irked that he brought up Karlen's son), I thought he was better behaved than in some of his previous appearances.  In any event, I'm glad that he's still with us, and was able to attend the Festival.

Roger, Roger, Roger.  I am also glad he is recovering from his medical crisis, but based on the way he ticked off my close friend, I'd say he was as obnoxious as ever.  During Sunday's activities he went into the Daily Grill where of course he did not go unrecognized, and another friend noticed him snatching bread from off the bar (meant for someone else, I might add) so she offered him some of her fries which he took, but then he reached over her and put his hands (uninvited and unwelcome) into my friend's plate and grabbed the lettuce and tomato off of it.  Had he asked, she would feel very differently, but he caught her so by surprise that she didn't even have a chance to react.

I thought the performance of "the lost script" was a big disappointment. ... I was more impressed with Robert Rodan: his voice is still deep and resonant, and he read Adam's lines with the character's typical befuddlement and impatience.

I've listened to his voice as the conductor in the DS Reborn tape over and over and couldn't get that it was Rodan, but in the Lost Script enactment, I could hear both the conductor's voice and Adam's, if that makes sense.

But I still say that something can't be "lost" once you've found it, but I already harped on that well before the Fest, lol.

Jerry Lacy watched clips of all of his performances as Trask (but not Tony Peterson).

In that "Many Faces of Trask" segment, shouldn't there have been a clip of the butler?  JL is just so handsome, which apparently prompted one fan during his Q&A to tell him she wanted to hug him and smell him.  Security!!!  ( ;) j/k)

And speaking of security, you were really REALLY missed, Nancy Kersey.  To your replacement, if you are reading this, lighten up, dude.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »
Thanks to everyone for posting their observations of the Fest.  It's enjoyable reading about everyone's experiences.  Wish I could have made it. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline lee7189

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
Hello.  Long time fan first time festival attender here.  I missed a lot of events because I don't like to keep a strict schedule of activities when I'm on vacation - I keep it casual.  This did result in my missing a lot, though.  Just means I have to attend next year!

I recently viewed Jerry Lacy's interview on the Dark Shadows dvd's and became really entranced with him.  So very handsome!  I was very anxious and happily did get his autograph and a picture taken with him.

Another love of mine is John Karlen.  What a character!  Was fortunate enough to get his autograph but my camera was malfuntioning so no picture.  I absolutely loved seeing the clip of Willie in the dream curse.  Talk about over the top!  It was truly fantastic.  The audience roared and I had tears coming down my face.

I attended David Selby's event but didn't get his autograph or picture.  David still so very handsome.

I didn't get close to Jonathan Frid.  Wanted to respect his space.

I met, got autographs and pictures taken with the ladies.  Wow!  They are all so beautiful.

I enjoyed the festival events that I did attend but by far the best part for me was the other fans.  I met so many wonderful people and look forward to seeing some or all of them at future festivals.  So many animated converstions about the show's characters, different timelines and parrallel time.  I would look over at my husband sitting there quietly (he's not a fan) and realize how bizarre this all must have sounded to an outsider.  It made me smile.  

Offline ZackGolem

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2008, 08:14:14 PM »
Did anyone go to the Big Finish panel? I'd be interested to know if they revealed anything about their new audio series that isn't already on their website. I loved the virtual Dark Shadows episode format of the first series. I'm less enthused about "dramatic readings". I'd like to know if there was any info about the casting/plots that might increase my interest.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »
Hi, ZackGolem,

Reply #81 might have what you're looking for.

Late edit: For plot info click:
Back in the Shadows Again

Welcome, lee7189!  Your account has the distinction of being the 1000th on DS Forums.   [ghost_grin]

Offline lee7189

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2008, 08:45:31 PM »
Thanks.  And Neat!

Offline JVjr

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2008, 09:10:59 PM »
Hi KajunDC, i agree, its a shame you didnt enjoy the fest. as much as you did, but it could be that after your first fest. experience, which was fabulous, this one may have just been a let down fest. I have been to over 20 of these fests., and have pretty much seen and heard everything as well. The thing i look forward to the most now is seeing all my friends i have made over those 20 + years of attending the fest. They all mean alot to me and to get to see them all and spend time with them once a year, keeps me going. The fest. also has something new for me to enjoy every year, and i like the fan events like the Players and the costume gala. I find it very interesting of all the new first time attenders. I should probably bring back the old Cheep Production Fan Videos for all the new attenders to watch, for future fests. My hope is that sometime soon we will make a new Cheep Production video for the long time attenders who have seen them already. So basically KajunDC, i am letting you know that not coming back to the fest. again may not be what you want. Please think about it. I missed this years fest., but am hoping to make next years fest. If anyone knows when the next fest. is, and where, please post it for me. Thanks, JVjr   

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »
Stuart Manning took the stage for the Big Finish panel and revealed that we will soon be hearing a new audio drama (maybe two) from our own Mark Rainey!  [clap2]  Stuart said that the next season of audio dramas has already gone into production and should be available by the end of the year.

That's wonderful news!  I'm so glad they have Mark onboard for the audio dramas.   

I still need to pick up the two stories with KLS and Alec Newman.  Has anyone listened to those yet?
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
Missed you, JVjr!!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2008, 10:45:59 PM »
That's wonderful news!  I'm so glad they have Mark onboard for the audio dramas.

It upsets me very little, as well.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2008, 12:48:45 AM »
Did anyone go to the Big Finish panel? I'd be interested to know if they revealed anything about their new audio series that isn't already on their website.
I did remember something else, ZackGolem.  When asked about the possibility of recording "Labyrinth of Souls," Stuart mentioned what a great villain Count Petofi was and that they had actually hoped to use him in Season 1 of the audio series.  He didn't say for sure that the character would reappear in the next batch of dramas, but that was the impression I got...  [ghost_wink]

ProfStokes

Offline verusselle

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2008, 12:56:08 AM »
Welcome, lee7189!  Your account has the distinction of being the 1000th on DS Forums.   [ghost_grin]

Just curious how this can be the 1000th account when the total members count displayed on the home page is currently 878, as of this posting.  Are there account holders who are not considered to be members?

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »
This seems like a fairly peaceful forum most of the time. I find it hard to believe that 122 of its users had their accounts deleted at some point.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2008, 01:20:53 AM »
Actually, the vast majority of those 122 accounts were never approved. As we mentioned back when Jonathan Frid registered, potential members go through a vetting process before being approved and a percentage just don't make it. (Does that mean that no one with less than honorable intentions ever manages to slip by? No. But be assured that we do indeed catch onto them because they inevitably trip themselves up in spite of themselves.  [ghost_smiley])