Author Topic: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!  (Read 20475 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2008, 06:09:23 PM »
They look great.  I am not overtly fond of "older" women with really really blonde hair like Kathryn's but its her hair not mine I just think on "older" women it makes them look washed out. I like her best with dark hair or a more honey blond would be nicer.   IMHO!  Nonetheless thanks for the great pic :)

Taeylor Taeylor. .so young. .  [ghost_tongue] keeping up the hair color can turn into a full time job after a while. .that is generally why older women go blonde, e.g. KLS or Barbara Walters.  .to keep the darker color you have to dye it every 2-3 weeks and wheeze with the toxic fumes!

Dying tips from J99!
Julia99

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2008, 06:14:54 PM »
another pic: Jerry Lacy.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »
I feel slightly disheartened at the moment.  I just wonder what was going through "the legion's" head's when JF said whatever he said.  I would really like know what exactly was said.  Maybe I am jumping to conclusions.  I find myself very protective of GH. 

I was not there this year but I saw the video clip of the Q/A.  Grayson is tough enough to take it no worries.  There is plenty of evidence, Oscar nom not withstanding, that she was capable of subtle, quiet performances as well as Absolute OVER THE TOP and that versatility is why many love her. 

J99
Julia99

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2008, 09:03:21 PM »
She was an intense actress and sometimes that leads to overacting.  Sometimes.  But the chemistry between GH and JF throughout the series was part of what made the series hum.

I would have to say that all of them "overacted" on the show, but that was part of the appeal.  As stage actors the majority of the troupe were used to having to project themselves to the back rows of stage theatres.  On camera, that comes across as "over the top."  But had they played the show as as most TV shows are acted, it would certainly not have stood out the way it did.  I credit the show's success much more to the stage acting presentations and uniqueness of it as opposed to the supernatural aspects.
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »
First of all, it's OK to disagree with Selby's politics.
Be that as it may, hearing Selby's politics~~or Chris Pennock's homeless advocacy~~is far more intersting than hearing the same DS anecdotes again & again.
Both men gave us more insight into who they really are as people.

RE: Kathryn & Lara: both women are in their mid 60s & look incredible.

This implies that Marie is not a clean person, and that's clearly not the case.
Obviously it is okay to either agree or disagree with another's politics.  However, that was not what this weekend was about.  If I wanted a political rally, there are many more, much better educated sources to hear from on both sides of the aisle.  Besides I paid for a DS convention and as someone who had never seen Selby live before, I was interested in his DS, Falcon Crest and career comments.  The performance would have been fine without trying to tell us that David "knows" who Abe would have supported in this presidential race over 140 years after his death.  Some may be that gullible but not all of us.   [ghost_wink]

Yes, KLS and Lara are in their 70's and they do look very beautiful, as I said.  My point was where they looked to be around 50 last year, they definitely looked much closer to their actual ages this year.  I was simply surprised by the change that can occur in 11 short months.  I did not say, or imply, that they are falling apart.

I said Marie looked great so I don't see where you get your implication.  She was the one who pointed out the fact that she wore the exact same outfit as at last year's fest and I was simply making a humorous remark about her own comment.

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »
I myself lost about 50 pounds last summer and it was hell...but it was worth it!!  I feel better all around.
Congratulations Taeylor!

I weighed 280lbs almost five years ago and, thanks to the birth of my beautiful daughter, I got motivated to lose 115 lbs in 7 months and have kept it off ever since, even through Hurricane Katrina where we lost our house.  We have been back in our new house, had to start over from scratch for the last 1.5 years.  (I live just north of Lake Ponchartrain north of New Orleans.)  No dangerous surgery - just a very healthy diet and plenty of exercise.  And it definitely makes life much better.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2008, 09:48:01 PM »
Taeylor Taeylor. .so young. .  [ghost_tongue] keeping up the hair color can turn into a full time job after a while. .that is generally why older women go blonde, e.g. KLS or Barbara Walters.  .to keep the darker color you have to dye it every 2-3 weeks and wheeze with the toxic fumes!

Well I am also a Professional Colorist so I pretty much know how hard it is to keep grey hair dark.  I still think it looks bad on older women. I think it makes them look OLDER and washed out.  Just my opinion though!!  [ghost_tongue] [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
Well LP's college roommate at Vassar was Jane Fonda. .you do the math.

When asked about working with Peter Fonda, lara stated she was 3 years older than he.  So if you can find Peter's age, simply add 3 years and you'll have Lara's.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2008, 09:51:09 PM »
Yes, KLS and Lara are in their 70's and they do look very beautiful, as I said.

Actually Lara is 71 and KLS is 63 according to IMDB! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2008, 09:56:04 PM »
The only other comment I have concerning Frid was, I didn't feel he was well-served by those who should have been looking out for him.

I might take offense to that if it were true during the course of the actual fest weekend.  But since I know personally how well JF was attended, I would have to make an assumption that these events occurred after the group left on Monday morning as I too witnessed several people swooping in like vultures.  I can assure you that members of the team were in his company as he came and went, during mealtimes, and out and about for coffee.  However, there were times he wished to be left to his own devices to study or review.  It's a request we could honor as ultimately, he calls the shots.  Members of the team were at his disposal in all venues during our stay. 

Oh, and I loved the comments from this post about the food.  I too would take rubber chicken.  Gag.

Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2008, 10:08:05 PM »
I didn't get enough time to modify my post.  I am Professional Colorist, however I changed career paths a few years ago and focus on makeup mostly now! :) Which I have been meaning to do a DS makeup post.  I have the same hair color as Miss Hall.  :)  However at 30 I am already notcing a few gray hairs.   [ghost_wacko] OVER IT!!   

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »
Wow, congratulations to both of you on your weight loss!

The performance would have been fine without trying to tell us that David "knows" who Abe would have supported in this presidential race over 140 years after his death.  Some may be that gullible but not all of us.   [ghost_wink]

My recollection of what was said about Lincoln and the current race is that David Selby was discussing a scene in the later chapters of his book in which Lincoln and Charles are drinking beer in a cafe, and the former gets to the subject of when things are going to get better.  At this point, Selby made the comment that one "could make a very good case from Abraham Lincoln for Barack Obama," and it's at this point that he also brings up his respect for John McCain.  I can't say I recall any presumption that Lincoln (a Republican) would support either candidate.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:05 PM »
I'm looking around for a full account of Darren Gross' NoDS restoration panel.  I remember seeing a note by MB to post any accounts of this in an already existing topic which I seem unable to locate.

I did see that Kousin Kajun (sorry, couldn't resist) reported briefly about the restoration.  What I'm looking for is more about what Darren said and something about the newly restored sequence he debuted at the Festival. 

I do hope that Darren's presentation wasn't bumped this year.  That's the kind of thing that tends to have me reaching for that little doll and those sharp black pins...

G.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »
I might take offense to that if it were true during the course of the actual fest weekend.  But since I know personally how well JF was attended, I would have to make an assumption that these events occurred after the group left on Monday morning as I too witnessed several people swooping in like vultures.  I can assure you that members of the team were in his company as he came and went, during mealtimes, and out and about for coffee.  However, there were times he wished to be left to his own devices to study or review.  It's a request we could honor as ultimately, he calls the shots.  Members of the team were at his disposal in all venues during our stay.

I meant no offense, Dawn. I was just commenting on what I observed, not having the full story. I can imagine Mr. Frid is quite independent, so I understand what you're saying. Too, I did see him a few times on Monday, but he was with Jim Pierson most of those times. I'm grateful he came at all this year and appreciate what went into that tremendously.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2008, 12:26:31 AM »
darrens discussion was not bumped but full of technical problems trying to get the dvd player to work. we almost didnt see the restored scene with sound untill somebody hooked up a portable dvd player and it worked. once again as with the depp movie project panel(?)not much was said that we didnt already hear before.