Author Topic: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!  (Read 20474 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 04:30:13 PM »
Thanks for those who clarified Mr. Frid's remarks about Grayson.  I recall Louis Edmonds telling me on one occasion when I was asking for stories about Grayson "a little bit of Grayson goes a long way" said very fondly and with a sly wink.  He then told a story about seeing her in Happy End with her arm in a cast because she had just broken it earlier that day.  In his dry way, he paid tribute to her incredible showmanship and professionalism.  I appreciated his candor.

I'd love to hear more about what Mr. Frid said about Thayer David.  On the one Dave Brown cassette I bought years ago, in one of the 1980s get-togethers Frid was recalling how Thayer was like everyone's uncle on the set, even though he was the same age as himself, Louis, et al.  He talked about how kind and encouraging Thayer was.  Alexandra in her foreword to one of the KLS pompress books shared that Thayer battled depression for years.  What an incredible man, and incredible artist, he was.

G.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
heres 1 of my pics from digital camera. i still need to get 35mm developed.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 05:52:23 PM »
I was there, and I did not feel that Jonathan was being disrespecful to Grayson.Someone in the audience asked him about her because he had talked about Thayer David.  Jonathan said, "she was a bit much" but he was referring to her acting style. I think he felt guilty saying that because he said, "I really shouldn't say this" He al;so said, We got along. and I respected her.

Thank you, Ronny G!  I think this account captures the moment perfectly.

Fantastic picture, Joe.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 06:13:50 PM »
Also, my husband (who was among the first time attendees, despite being a casual fan at best) had a ringside seat for what led to the fall.  Basically, what happened was, he backed up to sit on his stool, and didn't go far enough, he started to lower himself too soon.

That's not it either.  He was given a chair on Saturday but said he preferred the stool so that's what was provided for Sunday's presentation.  Unfortunately, it wasn't one of his best decisions.  He wanted to watch the video from an audience seat because his line of sight from the stage gave him too awkward a view of the screen, so he came down off the stool but didn't land correctly.  It was thankfully not a hard fall and he was helped to his feet, smiled and showed the audience he could walk fine, and then he moved down into the front row and his Reader's Theatre continued.

I noticed on several occasions (and I'm sure Nancy can attest to this) that he prefers his independence when moving about.  He's flying home-- across the country-- alone.  God bless him, and I think it's an accomplishment that fans can take to heart rather than one stage misstep!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »
heres another. they show up small here but if u click on the image u can enlarge.

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 06:31:12 PM »
I don't know what happened with Lara Parker's microphone but I would assume the audio crewmember had good reason to attempt to make an adjustment to it while she continued reading.   So her ad lib, "We can get to the moon..." seemed, to me at least, unprofessional and totally unnecessary.

The problem was that Jim Pierson, having no apparent clue how those mikes work - meaning that particular mike picks up best from the side rather than from the top as many mikes do - decided to change the position of Lara's mike in such a way that the audio could not be heard so the tech had to go up right after him and put the mike back where he originally had it.  Lara was just frustrated that she was interrupted by both Jim and the tech - Jim's fault, he should keep his hands off what he doesn't understand - and Lara made her comment as a way to break the tension.  I can understand her feelings at having one guy move something only to have another immediately come and move it right back to where it was, and should have been.
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 08:38:01 PM »
I wanted to say. I am glad that JF went on. What a performer. He got right back up and continued. Though he went off and
on the stage. He was even at his table for a bit, and he went to the banquat.  We all forget his age and his zest for life. Being
physically challanged I like my own independence also.  I am very glad he made the effort to come at all and fly across country.
Reports are hs is doing fine.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
  • Belonging heart, soul and neck to the vampire!
    • View Profile
    • The Collins Mausoleum fanzine online
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
Also, my husband (who was among the first time attendees, despite being a casual fan at best) had a ringside seat for what led to the fall.  Basically, what happened was, he backed up to sit on his stool, and didn't go far enough, he started to lower himself too soon.

That's not it either.  He was given a chair on Saturday but said he preferred the stool so that's what was provided for Sunday's presentation.  Unfortunately, it wasn't one of his best decisions.  He wanted to watch the video from an audience seat because his line of sight from the stage gave him too awkward a view of the screen, so he came down off the stool but didn't land correctly.  It was thankfully not a hard fall and he was helped to his feet, smiled and showed the audience he could walk fine, and then he moved down into the front row and his Reader's Theatre continued.

My husband saw what he saw.  He had a perfect angle to see from, we were in the second row on the left, in the middle of the row.  That's how he fell.  Nothing to do with chair or stool (that said, I agree with you the change from chair to stool was not the best thing for JF to do).

I noticed on several occasions (and I'm sure Nancy can attest to this) that he prefers his independence when moving about.  He's flying home-- across the country-- alone.  God bless him, and I think it's an accomplishment that fans can take to heart rather than one stage misstep!

He certainly does, but there were a couple of times he did accept help this particular occasion.  Are you sure Mark wasn't going to be with him, though?  If JF did fly it alone, I'm really proud of him, since I think it's been several years since he's flown anywhere.

I wanted to say. I am glad that JF went on. What a performer. He got right back up and continued. Though he went off and
on the stage. He was even at his table for a bit, and he went to the banquat.  ...

I wasn't aware he had been at his table, that's GREAT. 

Julie  :)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 09:33:01 PM »
Other than JF's fall, I loved everything about the fest and this was my second.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 09:42:12 PM »
Sorry, 4everfridean, my point was that it was the move from his seated spot that got him into trouble.  Didn't mean to offend, and how funny is it that we had the same seats on opposite sides of the aisle?  It's like the PT mirror image slide in Frank Borzellieri's presentation.  [ghost_cheesy]

Are you sure Mark wasn't going to be with him, though?  If JF did fly it alone, I'm really proud of him, since I think it's been several years since he's flown anywhere.

Exactly, he hadn't flown since the 90s!  I'm sure; Mark left Sunday night (babies don't wait ;)) so it fell on Pierson to take JF to the airport.

Hi again, borgosi!!

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 11:50:55 PM »
Just read through everyone's thoughts here and I'll add my observations.  As a loyal GH fan, JF's comments were not unexpected and not unflattering.  Yes, Grayson was a bit much and over the top.  Not news.  But the manner in which he said such was not derrogatory.  He included himself in that obrservation as well and made due note of the nature of the soaps.  He respected her and complimented her in the very scene he had just shown with himself, Grayson, and Thayer. 

As for JF, he was well yesterday when I spoke to him before leaving the Fest.  He was not injured in the fall as he kept telling us.  As he stated, "I just let it happen."  Smart move.  He was well attended to for those who wondered.  And yes, he was flying back solo today.  Direct flight.  First class.  Driver waiting to take him home. 

I will add a couple of personal notes here.  It was nice to meet those of you who stopped by the Frid table and introduced yourselves. 

It was great to visit again, Midnite.  I'm glad we had time to spend together this year.  I'm especially glad that you got to speak with Laura.  Old times.   

Gothick, the responses in the great hall to GH were as resounding as ever.  You would be proud since it wasn't just the JList making theselves known.   [ghost_wink]

Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 11:57:50 PM »
Sounds like everyone has some interesting views on the fest! I really wish I could have been there to see it.  As far as GH I think she was "over the top" but that was the beauty of her. She put all she could into her character and seemed to enjoy it with immense pleasure. Good for her.  She never did anything low key and she made her characters stand out and be notice. I think sometimes that can put others on guard and some just don't like that. Doesn't mean they don't like the person.  I can't wait for next year!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 02:23:01 AM »
It was great to visit again, Midnite.  I'm glad we had time to spend together this year.  I'm especially glad that you got to speak with Laura.  Old times.

Me too.  *hugs*

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 02:35:43 AM »
I just wonder what was going through "the legion's" head's when JF said whatever he said.  I would really like know what exactly was said.  Maybe I am jumping to conclusions.  I find myself very protective of GH. 

I don't understand your upset.  In the audiotape interview with Grayson Hall made shortly after DS went off the air, she referred to JF as "a dumb actor."  I don't consider that flattering though I think that had more to do with her not understanding why he did not capitalize on his fame the way other actors would have.
Nancy

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 02:58:06 AM »
I don't understand your upset.  In the audiotape interview with Grayson Hall made shortly after DS went off the air, she referred to JF as "a dumb actor."  I don't consider that flattering though I think that had more to do with her not understanding why he did not capitalize on his fame the way other actors would have.
I have never heard the interview SO I cannot really comment on it.   I wish just upset because people were saying he dissed GH personally.  I didn't mind that he didn't like her acting style fine.  One poster though made it seem he was saying he didn't like "HER".  Its just misunderstandings and some people's interpretation of what he said at the fest. I aplogize for jumping to conclusions!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/