Author Topic: The Festivials--My Concern--Plus Warm Wishes!  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
The Festivials--My Concern--Plus Warm Wishes!
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:47:19 AM »
I really really want to go to the fest in 2009.  It makes me a bit nervous though.   I found "most" people in fandom wonderful, however I have heard it through the grapevine it can be clicky too!  I just was wondering if everyone is very welcoming and cool at the fest.  I plan on making 2009 my year, unless the fest goes away.  Which I very much doubt since JD has acquired rights to the movie.  I have one DS friend who I talk with on the phone all the time.  We will met for the first time.  I am sure I will be a bit nervous.  But I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts.  My friend told me her and her friends have fun and just do there thing and don't worry about anyone else.  :)  Thanks for your comments in advance.

One other note.  I hope I don't post yall to death.  I am new to the boards and I have a lot of time of my hands due to a injury that is keeping me out of work. 

For those going.  You guys be safe.  Have a great time.  And enjoy a moment of DS for me this year. 

As always
Take Care
Taeylor
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: The Festivials--My Concern--Plus Warm Wishes!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 05:57:54 AM »
I forgot to add.  I wish they would ask some of the 1991 stars to do the Fest.  I wish I could have been at those fests with them.  YOU gotta remember for me the remake was special.  It was my first "TASTE" of DS.  I mean I will be appeased seeing the originals.  It would just be a nice mix.  I would love to see Alec Newman possibly there as well or some of them from the pilot of DS 2004!! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 06:01:17 AM »
I've found the lengthy registration/autograph/banquet lines to be a great bonding experience.  [ghost_wink] There's not much more to do for several hours on end besides talk to and get to know the folks around you. While it is so that there are groups of old friends that tend to cluster together during the Fests, I've not found these groups to be exclusionary.  Besides, with each Fest comes an influx of first-timers who don't have set groups and are probably also looking to meet new people. Most of the fans I ever met at Festivals were enthusiastic, nice people. Plus, now that you've been posting at dsboards for a while, you'll have a built-in group of friends for when you are able to attend a Festival. :)

I understand from friends who attended the Fests in those days that the 1991 actors did participate in Festivals in the early 1990s. I don't know if the issue now is that they have not been invited back (as I understand it, everyone involved with DS is welcome to come to the Fests, but it may have to be at their own expense) or that they're too busy with their other projects to attend.

ProfStokes

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:21:29 AM »
Actually Lysette Anthony did.  Julianna McCarthy.  Micheal Cavanaugh.  Adrian Paul. Veronica Lauren. all did back in 1991.  I have the details in TWODS.  Lara Parker and Lystte Anthony did a panel together.  Would have love to have seen that.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
It's usually a very friendly, warm group, and the actors are always thrilled when new people show up.

I've made some great friends at the Fests.

The dealer's room in NY tends to be a bit better, but both are very very limited.  I'm told the glory days of the 80s were pretty terrific.  Tons of dealers, dozens of tables selling their individual fanzines, and original stills were plentiful and inexpensive.  These days it tends to be easy to get things like the MPI table, but there are usually a few dealers who sell CD-Rs of radio appearances and interviews with the cast which are great fun, and table selling the old tie in novels and period magazines.  Should be a table of stills as well, plus KLS's Pomegranate table, where you can snap up some of the books you don't have (Movie Book, cough cough  [ghost_wink]) and have KLS sign em.  Ask if she can give you a deal if you buy a few of them, and you may be in luck.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
I've been to two fests--06 and 07--and both were great experiences for me where I met people from this board (hi retzev!!!) and talked with tons of others who may or may not be on this board. The actors are all very open and welcoming, some certainly more than others (usually those who aren't exhausted from huge lines, and thusly have some extra time to sit and chat), and will talk to you for quite some time if they're free.

During my first fest, John Karlen moved from table to table to table at the banquet, talking to everyone (the actors usually sit with people they know or are familiar with at the banquet) and having a great time. Also, at the same fest, my mom and I split up to get autographs and stuff in different lines, and when my mom went to Jerry Lacy's line and asked him to sign my book, he asked if I was unable to attend. When she told him that I was there, but we had split up to get autographs, he told her to make sure she brought me by to meet him later. That was nice, to be sure, but when I went by later and purchased one of his photos, I asked him to make it out to "Brandon". He looked up and smiled, and seeing my mother, said "Well, I'm glad you got a chance to come by the table," then proceeded to have a short conversation with me, even though there was a line. (The other stars do the same, which can make the autograph lines horribly long sometimes).

The only downfall to the fests are the lines, but, as someone mentioned earlier, they are a great place to get to know people and make new friends. The banquet line, the registration line, and the autograph lines (if you hit them at peak times) can last for HOURS on end, but if you don't mind waiting and standing, they're great.

I'm sure you'll have a great time when you get to go, and I'm hoping to go again next year as well since I was unable to make it this year.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 08:41:09 AM »
anyone not able to attend the festival should install and add me to yahoo messenger. JAYTEEVIDEO@YAHOO.COM i may show some footage of this weekends festival thru my webcam. it wont be live but when i get home at night i may be able to do so. i live in hollywood so i plan to drive back and forth from burbank each day of the festival. be warned that it will probably be late at night and for those on the east coast, the wee hours of the morning but if there is enuf interest i might do more showings after the festival is over during next week at more convevient times. i also sell many past festivals and other ds cons dating back to the early 80s. for samples visit my youtube page at  www.youtube.com/user/jayteevideo  i have to search but i even think i have that panel with the 2 angeliques mentioned in a previous post. see you at the festival and/or on yahoo messenger!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
Enjoy! It's always been a great experience for me. I agree with Prof Stokes on the registration line. Even though it can be a long few hours it can also be well spent catching up with old friends and making new ones.  I am already missing evryone and hope it is a fun filled weekend. Next year !!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:33:50 AM »
[ghost_wink] Again guys.  Hope y'all have so so so much fun.  As I know you will.  I am brimming with excitement for next year.  Hopefully it will all work out and I can attend the festivities.  My DS fund is started and I hope they announce next year's right after this one is over.  For those who go..please give us all a report!! [ghost_grin] [ghost_smiley] [ghost_happy]

I am gonna try to make a week of it. I wanna see as much of NYC as I can.  ANOTHER LIFE DREAM for me.  I am from the country but have always felt very out of place.  LOL  So seeing Madonna in Nov. of 2008 and coming to the DS FEST and NYC next year and also meeting a DS friend I have communicated with for about twelve years just through emails and phone.  That will be the best treat! Sorry to ramble.

CHEERS!!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »
I've been to several of the fests and enjoyed each one of them and when it was time to go home, I always felt sad and wanted the whole 'festival' feeling to continue.  I think the most fun I had was at the fest in Tarrytown when a group of us went up to Lyndhurst where they filmed the DS movies.  We walked around the grounds imagining how it must have been when the actors where there in the same places we were at.  It was cool being at the glass domed building where Maggie and Willie were at and we tried to see into the pool area where Carolyn tried to entice David in so that she could bite him.  I have met some real nice people at the fest and have kept up communications with them after we returned home.  Of special delight for me was seeing the upstairs window where Carlotta was looking out and walking along the same path that Barnabas and Maggie walked when he was finally able to see daylight again.  It was all good.  I have such wonderful memories of all the fests that I've attended and you have so much to look forward to when you finally attend your first.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 03:15:15 PM »
Despite being totally unsmooth when meeting people in public for the first time (and I'd like to especially apologize to Midnite and mscbryk for seeking me out at the Fest last summer and I was too shy to say anything other than Hi) everyone I've met at the Fests has been incredibly friendly and really helpful. I'm involved in a lot of fandoms and I have to say that the DS fandom is the most open and non-elite I've encountered. You can only have a good time at the Fests!

If I manage to get to the Fest next summer (and if it's in NY I will!) I'd love to meet you too!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 09:55:41 PM »
...DS fandom is the most open and non-elite...

Truth.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 01:33:08 AM »
I remember being at a Fest, I think it was in Tarrytown, where people came up to me and asked everything under the sun. Yeah. That was the year that John Karlen called me a Hillbilly because I put ketchup on my eggs. I'll never live that one down. But anyway, and for some reason, newcomers thought that I was a Fest exec and that I had the score. I met up with a very nice lady and her daughter in an elevator who asked me about stuff and blah, blah, blah...
They were so happy to be there and I directed them to the source. Nice feeling on my part. Because I've had the experience and happy occcurence to get to know my fave DS actor, and heard JK sing on the grounds of Tarrytown, well - it just breaks my everlovin' heart that I won't see that SOB this year.
And he is an SOB. But he and I have a lot in common.
Anyway, the best to all of you that are fortunate enough to attend this year's Fest.
Anybody out there - tell Pop that Niki and i love him and am thinking of him and we're making Polish stuffed cabbage.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 02:01:35 AM »
Don't worry about that kind of junk. I've met and kept a whole lot of freinds thru DS.
And, yes, I am enviios ofl those going to the Fest this year
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 03:16:57 AM »
Find Bobubas and ask him to make you a mudslide. You will be happy all weekend long.