Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0588  (Read 1814 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0588
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0588
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:47:27 PM »
I realize they had to do a flashback so we the viewers could understand that Maggie's memory was returning, but I think they were also trying to remind us that Barnabas hasn't always been so nice. Perhaps they were getting bored with the human barnabas and wanted to return to barnabas being the villain, at least temporarily.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »
I thought this was exactly when they were trying to put bad Barnabas behind them... I was surprised they did this in the storyline.  It just made their redefinition of Barnabas that much harder.   Imagine if Woodard had been seriously dredged up.... good Barnabas would have been destroyed as an idea.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:02:48 AM »
Sunny brought up a good point about the writers wanting to revert Barnabas back to his evil ways, more or less. That's exactly what they did with him during the Leviathan story, but viewer response to evil Barnabas was not what the writers had hoped for.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:11:07 AM »
I think their reponse to the fans was too simple-minded: "Let's make him bad again".   A completely possessed character isn't compelling... it isn't his fault, he's not "evil", he's a victim of evil, and we're deprived of seeing any hint of the real Barnabas we've grown to like and feel attached to.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
I'm enjoying with the contrast we're seeing between 1967 Barnabas and 1968 Barnabas.  Barnabas's 1967 plan to turn Maggie into Josette seems a lot creepier to me now that we've seen him as a sane and sympathetic man.  Of course, part of the creepiness comes the fact that the 1968 version of 1967 Barnabas has enough eye make-up to sink a battleship, whereas in 1967 they were doing their best to make Barnabas look like an ordinary human being.  And I want to know: did Jonathan Frid groan when he read in the script that he was going to have to do another bite?

Nicholas has Carolyn prepped for the surgery.  Does he really intend for this to happen?  He had such happy dreams of bringing in Lucretia Borgia or Elizabeth What's-Her-Face for the life force.  What happened?  I know he promised Adam that Carolyn would be used, but couldn't he have had one of those two lethal ladies possess Carolyn for the duration of the Experiment?  Maybe he was caught off-guard by the plan to use Maggie, and hasn't had time to think it all through - but usually he's so good at thinking on his feet!

Josette's music box music is very effective.  I truly believe that it could have the magic effect that it has.  I remember talking about it in the Watching Project last year, and not understanding exactly what the deal was with it.  I still don't.  But I still love it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »
Of course, part of the creepiness comes the fact that the 1968 version of 1967 Barnabas has enough eye make-up to sink a battleship, whereas in 1967 they were doing their best to make Barnabas look like an ordinary human being.

Though believe it or not they sometimes use the same sort of heavy eye makeup in 1967 when Barnabas is in full-on vamp mode. One ep that comes to mind is Ep #230, which, perhaps not coincidentally also takes place in the cemetery/mausoleum just as Ep #588 does:

Ep #230

Ep #588

Also, the makeup for Ep #248, in which the flashback scene from Ep #588 originally took place, is similar (at least with the dark lines from the corner of Barn's eye and along his undereye):

Ep #248

What is really odd is that they go back to the heavy eye makeup during Barn's Pepe Le Pu phase of Leviathans, yet no one ever mentions the change in his appearance. I guess anyone who isn't in the know and[spoiler]isn't aware that he's become a vampire again[/spoiler]just figures he's experimenting with eye makeup and strange highlights, but they're too polite to draw attention to it by talking/asking about it.  [lghy]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 11:09:38 PM »
I really really liked these ep's and enjoyed the flashbacks. :)  It was nice to see Maggie remember and see 'EVIL' Barney in his old ways.
I TOO noticed when he returned under the influence of the Levithans he had the heavy eyeliner makeup.   
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:13:37 AM »
Those scenes between Maggie and Willie, when Maggie was remembering about Barnabas and Willie was pleading with her to forget, and then Maggie said, "I know what Barnabas is!" were very dramatic and emotional! [ghost_mad] It was thrilling to watch! [ghost_shocked] Kudos to KLS and JK for their wonderful performances. [clap2]

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Nicholas hypnotizing Carolyn. [ghost_grin]  He was so cool when he hypnotized someone. [bigok]  I love Nicholas' big grin! [ghost_cheesy] This was two episodes in a row when Nicholas hypnotized someone.
Does that merit a milestone? Just in case... [milestone]

----- Sally ----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 06:27:33 AM »
I think their repines to the fans was too simple-minded: "Let's make him bad again".   A completely possessed character isn't compelling... it isn't his fault, he's not "evil", he's a victim of evil, and we're deprived of seeing any hint of the real Barnabas we've grown to like and feel attached to.   

OFF TOPIC A BIT: I agree!! This pretty much sums up the whole problem with the storyline.  Which is really a shame cause I think the LEVIATHANS could have been absolutely BRILLANT if written correctly!!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 04:18:01 AM »
I liked the flashback but I think that I like the Black and White better, they seem a lot darker. This we just had the worry that Barnabas was going to be found out. Of course Barnabas couldn't find happiness.

Maggie did forget one thing in her dream and that was Sam's pipe.

This was an excellent job for everyone.  I think that they were trying to get everyones attention to keep them watching now that they were back at school. They had to keep the kids hooked.

Again why would Adam let Carolyn be used for something dangerous.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »
I loved this storyline. Wilile should just tell her the truth. It would make it much easier on him and his realtionship with Maggie. I am not really sure why Willie wouldn't. You think Willie could see this as his chance to get away from Barnabas.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 01:52:02 AM »
Wilile should just tell her the truth. It would make it much easier on him and his realtionship with Maggie. I am not really sure why Willie wouldn't. You think Willie could see this as his chance to get away from Barnabas.

Getting away from Barnabas would be fine, except Maggie wanted to go to the authorities to tell the police about Barnabas. I doubt Willie would be able to convince her to let bygone be bygones and forget what Barnabas did to her.

I know it doesn't make sense, considering their past history, but Willie did NOT want anything to happen to Barnabas. Strange, I know, considering how badly Barnabas treated him in the past. I really think the writers should have shown more scenes of Barnabas treating Willie a lot better.