Author Topic: The neighborhood saint  (Read 1087 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The neighborhood saint
« on: June 08, 2002, 08:07:27 AM »
Isn't it wonderful the effect blindness has had on Sam? It has taken the local drunk who is regularly nasty and emotionally abusive to his daughter (whose perkiness would grate on me too, give him that) and turned him in a kindly, tolerant dogooder. Geez, if we had only known what to do to him sooner!

Oh, and this is another topic completely BUT, watching this part of the show over again as confirmed for me what I suspected before. Professor Stokes KNOWS about Barnabas. It doesn't matter that he was never confided in, he knew and Julia/Barney knew he knew. I am really appreciating the subtlety of their relationship.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: The neighborhood saint
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2002, 06:48:36 PM »
Oh, EXCELLENT observation, Kuanyin!

Sam Evans had the typical "Artiste" personality....."everyone out of my way...can't you see I'm being creative here!?".....and I thought he was a royal pain in the arse.

But Saint Sam is even worse.  He should be throwing things and swearing a blue streak at his misfortune....he should be at the Old House, all day, every day, like the Albatross of antiquity, calling down retribution and doom on the head of Barnabas Collins.

But no....he's in the Cottage (sigh...I love that cottage) playing Florence Nightingale to "The Creature".  Bad writers!....Bad!....to turn a long term character's persona upside down, just so you could hit us over the head with a reference to the original 1930's movies. ::)

Raineypark  
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2002, 08:25:53 PM »

I loved Sam's flubbing of lines during the black & white kinescope episode, telling Adam that "it's nice to be taken care of instead of being taken care of all the time..."

And after Adam leaves and Sam is talking with Prof. Stokes.

SAM: I think Adam is in trouble.

(long, awkward pause)

A VOICE OFFSTAGE: Terrible trouble.

SAM: Terrible trouble.

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2002, 09:15:59 AM »
I had to laugh when I heard Sam teaching Adam all about the paintbrush and implying that he (Adam) could be his (Sam's) eyes and together they could make a fortune!! :o   And another thing, where is Maggie? Why would she leave her own father, who is now handicapped all alone at home?  [hdscrt]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2002, 01:18:07 AM »
(W)here is Maggie? Why would she leave her own father, who is now handicapped all alone at home?

I believe it was explained that she is in Bangor and that's why Joe was looking in on Sam.  But they never explained what she was doing there.

(taking a deep breath) Ahhh...smells like plot device.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2002, 09:11:36 AM »

I believe it was explained that she is in Bangor and that's why Joe was looking in on Sam.  But they never explained what she was doing there.

(taking a deep breath) Ahhh...smells like plot device.

Thanks Scout75,   I must have missed that.   Wait until Maggie gets back and finds out who really was looking after Sam, (Adam)  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2002, 10:40:32 PM »
[IrishAccent]  St. Sam the Holy Martyr[/IrishAccent]really is an odd change of pace for our favorite Collinsport artist.  But if he offers Adam a cigar and spills hot soup in his lap I can't be held responsible for my uncontrolled laughter.  Is it me or are they starting to resemble Gene Hackman and Peter Boyle a little too much at times? [silly]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad