Author Topic: Meeting Ben Cross  (Read 717 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Meeting Ben Cross
« on: June 08, 2002, 12:17:19 AM »
I just got back from seeing the latest London West End production of "Art", which currently stars Ben Cross (1991 Barnabas).

For those who don't know, it's a three-hander play about three friends torn in their relationship when one buys a white canvas at an exorbitant price, drawing conflicting opinions.  I've seen a couple of productions of it, but this one is -- unbiased opinion, honestly -- the best by a long way, with excellent performances and timing.  

Afterwards, I went to the stage door to get signatures.  I was a bit apprehensive, as I get the impression "Dark Shadows" was a somewhat inauspicious career entry from Cross' POV, especially as one of the pics I had was the most OTT fanging shot imaginable.  However, he signed very graciously and chatted graciously enough, though clearly, perhaps unsurprisingly, had nothing much to say of the series.  He looked very well, having not aged much, aside from a few flecks of grey

The production runs until the end of July and is a great play anyway, so I recommend any UK fans get along and see it.  It's at the Whitehall Theatre, and the Box Office number is 0207 369 1735 -- if you quote "Inside Soap" magazine when booking, you can get tickets for £9.00 rather than the usual £18.00.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting Ben Cross
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2002, 06:51:01 AM »
Sounds marvelous, Stuart!  And I loved reading that you handed him a fanged picture to sign.  Count me among the fans of his Barnabas portrayal, except for the snarly thing they kept making him do, poor guy.

One auction item from a Fest that I would've loved to acquire was his onyx ring from the series.  But unfortunately hubby never would've understood why it was worth $2,000. ;)

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting Ben Cross
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2002, 08:31:57 AM »
I was supprised to hear that Ben Cross was in ART. I saw it on Broadway with Alan Alda and Victor Garber with my dad. I had no idea what it was about but LOVED it and I wish I could see it again. Which part did Ben play?
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."