Author Topic: Convincing someone to watch DS!  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Convincing someone to watch DS!
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:22:36 AM »
 [ghost_azn] Okay.  So my brother and his boyfriend have watched Season 1 of the 1991 version.  So I told them that could basically stop us from watching the first 400 and something episodes. They just don't want to commit to 1225.  I know I will have to explain a few things...but it could serve as a sequel to the 1991 show.  I think that is why I took to the original.  I was hungry for more DS.  So it was like watching a continuation for me.  I started watching the original DS and I started with after 1795, cause I had just seen it all rehashed on 1991.  I however went back later and watched the first 400 and something ep's and equally loved as well.

What are some good points I came make about how great DS can be and convince him.  My brother is on board, so we wanna try and get his significant other there.   He complains he has a hard time getting into "OLD" shows.  One good thing though, (the boyfriend)  He loves Grayson. Any definitive Grayson ep's one would recommend , please do.  Thanks ;)   Any suggestions are welcome. I know him well and I think he would be on board if he gave it a shot.  It's getting him there. Some people are predjuice against old shows.  I have never understand that.  DS went off in 1971 and I was born in 1977, but I still appreciate the show and LOVE it.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

David

Re: Convincing someone to watch DS!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:49:44 AM »
 [ghost_grin]

I always find that tying someone up & putting clamps on their eyes a'la Clockwork Orange is a great way to get them to watch!

Seriously, though, tell them both to put the show in it's historic context.
In the 1960s, no other soap had special effects or period episodes~~DS was YEARS ahead of it's time.

OK, sometimes it look a little cheesy by today's standards, but even by 2008 standards, storylines like 1795, 1897
and the 1967 intro of Barnabas have some magnificent
writing and really terrific character acting.

Enjoy watching!

David

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:10:03 AM »
over the years i have tried with limited success to get friends and coworkers into the show.

because the storyline is relatively easy to follow i usually start them with the 1967 episodes(as opposed to something much more convoluted like 1897).even like-minded friends claim to "enjoy" these episodes and certainly get a kick out of the datedness of it but that's generally it.they don't or can't commit to more.

i think the massive volume of episodes and the show's serialized format make it hard to view casually.the episodes don't really stand on their own if you don't understand the context.it has to be followed regularly and watched sequentially for it to make sense.not everyone wants to make that kind of commitment...and i can understand that.there is no other show i would ever want to sit through over 1200 episodes of.just watching it through once took me over five years and there are still episodes i haven't seen.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:21:09 AM »
I have learned through years of experience if someone doesn't want to watch the same show/shows or movies that you do, and if they're really so gung-ho about it, you just can't convince them to give it a chance. [ghost_azn]

No one in my family other than my mom has ever seen a single episode of DS despite my occasional "Why not give it a try?" remarks. My mom used to be a DS fan when it was first on the air but even she isn't into it very much anymore. Alas, I am the only DS fanatic in my family. Ah, well. [ghost_mellow]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:41:07 AM »
Considering how often people say that they're alone in their love for DS among their friends and family, I guess I'm really lucky that almost everyone I know watches or at least watched the show and either continues to do so or remembers it fondly. Actually, I recently discovered that a colleague that I do volunteer work with on the advisory committees at a local school graduated from Salve Regina University, lived in Carey Mansion, and is still a big fan. Let me tell you, we were already good friends, but learning that bonded me with her even more so than we already were.  [ghost_smiley]  And she has great Carey Mansion stories. Maybe one day I'll convince her to join the forum to share them firsthand.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:56:17 AM »
If someone only likes new shows, and allows bad special effects to get in the way of drama, he or she is shallow.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 07:11:40 AM »
Agreed. I may make the occasional crack about how DS's SFX look now (particularly what I like to call simply "Angelique's Floatin' Head"), but I can appreciate it as being revolutionary for TV in 1967.

Though it is in my profile, I've been wary of discussing my age here before, as I thought it might attach a negative stigma to me (I'm a long-time member of a forum that has many very ageist members, and I rarely visit their public boards now because of said ageism), but I feel a bit more comfortable discussing it now that the (fantastic) community here has seemingly accepted me so much, so here we go.

I'm 14. That's not a typo, and I'm not kidding; I was born 28 years after the original and 3 after the revival. My mother was a big fan when the show first aired, and the reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel were morning staples in the house, though I was too young to fully appreciate them. She'd told me a bit about the show and I decided I wanted to get in on it, so I offered the suggestion of signing up for Netflix to get the series, which we did, along with buying a few collections.

Where my age comes into play here is the fact that my friends are around the same age as me, so the majority of them have never even heard of Dark Shadows. Most of them have proven themselves mature enough to accept older movies and TV shows, but I've had horrible luck convincing them to watch Buffy (not that it's an "older" TV show by any stretch of the imagination), which is only 144 episodes long, as opposed to DS's 1,225, so I haven't even bothered to attempt luring them into DS. The only thing I've ever been successfully able to bait someone into was the anime series Death Note, which is only 37 episodes long, plus I had the help of a friend who was also a fan (who, coincidentally, hooked me on it, despite the fact that I generally dislike anime).

In addition to this, my already scornful grandparents seem to think even less of me than they did before ever since I started watching DS, even flat-out telling me that I shouldn't watch the show. They have a big thing against fiction dealing with the supernatural in a non-religious context, and have simply refused to watch even the first storylines with no supernatural elements. But I don't really care what they think. I enjoy the show, and if they have a problem with it, well, that's just too bad.

So I basically live in a situation where convincing anyone to watch DS is impossible. In the case of your brother and his partner, I'd say that it's probably impossible to get them into it. Some people just can't be convinced to get into something, and when that something has over a thousand episodes, the likelihood of them being convinced is even lower. My best (and only) advice is to make sure it's always playing on your TV whenever you have either of them over. With any luck, they'll get hooked on something they see in that time.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 10:45:27 AM »
Oh, yes, a 14-year-old who loves DS, and thinks, and expresses himnself well in actual sentences and everything... there's a real stigma against that here!     How dare you presume to join us here!     

I'll just add that viewers trying out the show don't have to commit to watching the entire run.    That's intimidating, it sounds like a job.    People sample one episode of something, then maybe catch a couple more.... I showed a friend an 1897 episode, the one where the Hand and Evan Hanley encounter each other.    He called it "hokey".     I think some people these days need a sort of light jokiness going most of the time and if things are played straight, they don't like it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
I'm an 'old timer'  [ghost_cheesy] in age but still work 'watching' the show into various situations where I have the opportunity to do so.  I work in a call-center that tracks credit card fraud and if I speak to someone from Maine or the New England I almost always mention the show and drop the big hint that there are dvd's of the episodes available.  Some people are pretty enthusiastic and want more details and others just stifle a yawn.

I was at a library once where I used to live checking out some DS videos and the librarian said she remembered the show and it not being really scarry at all. I guess some people just don't get it  [ghost_tongue]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:03:18 PM »
Maybe my friends are weird, but I've gotten 3 seperate people into the show by watching a good episode while they happen to be over, and they subsequently ask me to borrow DVD sets, or specifically ask me to turn it on when we are watching tv.

In particular, I've found that if you watch the episode where Barnabas is released from the coffin with someone, this will get him or her at least moderately interested. Even the most casual watcher must wonder "how the hell did he get chained in the coffin?". Well, as long as they have some level of appreciation for horror/scifi stories ... Of course I don't tell them it will be a LONG time before you find the answer to that question...
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »
Oh, yes, a 14-year-old who loves DS, and thinks, and expresses himself well in actual sentences and everything... there's a real stigma against that here!     How dare you presume to join us here!

[ghost_cheesy] As I said, the only forum I've really frequented in the past had lots of members who thought that if you were under 18, you were automatically an idiot and that your opinion meant nothing. I didn't know what to expect from this forum, so I've been cautious about mentioning my age in the past, but I've been accepted quite fully, as the members here have proved to apparently be about 50 IQ points higher than the people on said other forum, so I'm pleased with that.

I did think that simply having the show on would be the best way to lure someone in.

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 03:42:33 PM »
My wife was never a DS fan. She has never liked the idea of my staying up late watching television. In our bedroom we only have basic cable. So she suggested that I watch my Dark Shadows DVDs, DS: The Beginning series. So now I watch my favorite nightcap TV show before going to sleep and she lays there and watches it with me. I can't tell if she's getting into it or not yet.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

David

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]

Hey Goober:

you are far more sophisticated & eloquent than I was at 14~~you're even moe eloquent than I am now at 52!
To hell with the judgemental bastards~~glad you're here!

David

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 03:55:25 PM »
I agree we need the young fans to carry on the DS tradition when us old farts fade away. [ghost_wub]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »
Heh, I'll be considered a 14-year-old old fart when the movie comes out. I'll likely spend most of my time complaining about how *pulls out cane and uses old man voice* "there's no Dark Shadows but the original, and there's no Barnabas but Jonathan Frid, you whippersnappers with your Tim Burton and your Johnny Depp!"

you are far more sophisticated & eloquent than I was at 14~~you're even moe eloquent than I am now at 52!
To hell with the judgemental bastards~~glad you're here!
Thank you very much, David! I really appreciate that.

I was at a library once where I used to live checking out some DS videos and the librarian said she remembered the show and it not being really scarry at all. I guess some people just don't get it  [ghost_tongue]

No, apparently they don't, if they thought that the point of the show was terror. It was a show about people more than it was about horror.