Author Topic: Latest Windows Update an Internet Killer?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Latest Windows Update an Internet Killer?
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:21:27 AM »
The latest Windows update (7/8; I have Windows XP) apparently kills my internet connection. Update loaded automatically; I restarted the computer. Internet gone. Reset the machine several times, no joy. Did a system restore, for (taking it back t o7/6), and internet works fine. Updated Windows again. Internet comes up dead as a doornail. Repeated the process two more times with the exact same results. Finally, I turned off auto updates and left it that way. Anyone else, particularly XP users, having internet troubles after the latest Windows update?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Windows Update an Internet Killer?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:23:52 AM »
And to think Bill Gates became one of the wealthiest multi-billionaires in the world peddling this crap.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:32:32 AM »
Bobubas' avatar/personal text says it all, Gerard.  [ghost_wink]

I haven't installed the new update yet (I have automatic updates shut off - there's no way I want Microsoft installing updates without my knowledge!). But when I do get around to it, I'll weigh in...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:24:22 AM »
Bobubas is so right, MB!

Hey Mark, can you tell us computer-disabled folk (especially when it comes to microcrap) how, if we run into the same problems, we can do a "system restore" and how to block "auto updates?"  Naturally, I went to the help feature for microcrap and it wasn't the least bit helpful.  Nothing is explained, and what little there is is all written in geekese (why can't these people learn how to speak in English the way normal people do?).

Gerard

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:25:16 AM »
Installed today's updates on an XP Professional machine and haven't had any problems, but I also don't have SP3 installed on this particular machine.

I would check for driver updates for the network card, but my guess is you already did that.  [ghost_wink]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:39:42 AM »
I have to ask: How are you speaking to us now with any internet??  [ghost_shocked]
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 03:51:07 AM »
I got internet back by using the System Restore function to restore the computer to its configuration of 7/6 -- before the update. Then I turned off the auto updates so it wouldn't update and muck up the works again.

To do a system restore, from the Start Menu, you go to Accessories > System Tools > System Restore; it will show you a calendar, and then you select the date to which you want to restore your operating system files (it doesn't affect user files, such as MS Word documents -- thank God). From there, it's automatic.

You control the Auto Updates from the Control Panel > MS Security Center. Just enable them or disable them.

Looks like my wife's computer updated without a problem. It appears to be something specific to mine.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 07:16:23 AM »
THANK YOU, MARK!!!!

I downloaded and installed the update earlier this evening.  I often don't let it restart the computer right away, as I'm usually busy with other things.  Tonight a storm was starting, so I shut it down.  When I turned it back on, I couldn't get connected.

I spent at least an hour on the phone with Verizon support, and she had me try all sorts of things and finally determined that it was the Zone Alarm, and apparently there had been other instances of that today.  So, she gave me a number for Zone Alarm, and I figured there would probably be a charge for their support.

Meanwhile, tonight, I was taking a chance at using the Internet, and every time I reached a place where I'd be on the same page for a while, I'd turn the Zone Alarm back on, hoping that the short times that it was off in between wouldn't be dangerous!!

That turned out to be quite fortunate, as I found your post, did the restore, and ALL'S WELL!!!

I think I'll contact Verizon and let them know it's the Windows Update.
Josette

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 07:27:13 AM »
Have not installed it yet. However, my computer has for some reason stopped making System Restore points very often, so I'm praying that it doesn't affect me.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »
Thank you, Mark!  See?  Now why don't these computer companies hire people like you to write up instructions, directions and such stuff?  You do it in English!

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »
I installed the update (on XP Professional, SP3, IE 7) and everything is still working fine. But I can definitely sympathize with the people who are having problems because last year Microsoft issued an update that completely screwed my HDTV card - and it was more than month before the manufacturer could issue a new driver to fix the problem. But then, Microsoft could care less if one of their updates breaks another vendor's hardware/software. Actually, some people go so far as to strongly suspect that they do it on purpose whenever they break software when/if there's a Microsoft alternative (like, say, Office vs. WordPerfect) that they think people should be using.  [ghost_mad]  And by "some people" I'm not talking paranoid conspiracy theorists on the Internet - I'm talking professionals who write for the various computer magazines/journals...

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »
I'm not a big conspiracy theorist or anything, but I tend to believe that Microsoft and other companies do intentionally screw up competing products. Apple is a little better, but not much, and aside from that, I'm too hooked on The Sims, Morrowind, and Half-Life to consider using a non-Windows OS. [ghost_mad] I also only have basic knowledge of computers, so Boot Camp isn't an option.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 11:49:55 PM »
Sure enough, here's the answer. Microsoft Update Kills Zone Alarm.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/microsoft-update-kills

I suspect this one will be dealt with relatively quickly, since the number of ZA users is prodigious.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 12:17:14 AM »
Thankfully, the update did not kill my computer's internet access, as I use McAfee for my internet security.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 09:39:33 PM »
Well, my internet hasn't been killed, but my virus protection randomly turns itself off and back on since the update.