Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0579  (Read 2326 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0579
« on: July 03, 2008, 08:21:43 PM »

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0579
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »
Julia was extremely irritated with Jeff for snooping in her book.

When Jeff went to eavesdrop on Julia's and Vicki's conversation, I'm surprised Barnabas, being the gentleman he is, didn't try to stop him.

Barnabas and Stokes are both possessed of a strong will and are accustomed to being obeyed. Barnabas was trying to get Stokes to tell him where Carolyn hid Adam, and Stokes refused to be badgered in to revealing it.  [ghost_cool]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »
Julia was extremely irritated with Jeff for snooping in her book.
Yes, I thought Julia overreacted.

Today's cast included nobody from yesterday's cast.  As I understand it, at the end of each day's taping there would be a read-through of the following day's script.  I'm imagining today's cast coming in at the end of the taping of yesterday's episode, and yesterday's cast telling them all about the trials and tribulations of taping that episode, and then leaving, and today's cast settling down for the read-through.  Shift turnover of a sort.  Very likely I have it all wrong.

Julia and Jeff are very vague about the preparations needed for the experiment.  There's some wiring that Jeff's supposed to get done.  I'm betting that Willie would do a far better job on wiring, but Willie's off watching Nicholas Blair's house - and grumbling every step of the way, too, I'll bet.  And the body needs to be prepared - but how?  Nobody says.  If the writers had any idea, they would throw in some impressive sounding words, but they're as much in the dark as we are.

The other times I've watched this storyline, I have accepted without question that Jeff couldn't tell Vicky about the Experiment.  Today I suddenly - or finally - thought: Vicky's right!  Jeff should trust her!  For heaven's sake, it's not as if any of it is his fault.  Hmm...a pause while I consider that last statement.  It seems intuitively wrong ever to absolve Jeff Clark of all blame.  Let's just leave it that Jeff himself doesn't believe that any of the Adam mess is his fault, so why shouldn't he tell Vicky about it?  He probably doesn't want to frighten her with the threat to her life.  We're supposed to sympathize with that attitude, but I don't think Vicky would.  The writers keep pushing Jeff and Vicky as the couple we're supposed to root for, but they just don't fit together.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »
I think they were all supposed to keep it all from Vicki, because Adam wanted them to.   Jeff was Barn/Julia's assistant, following their conditions.    Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't see Jeff as being primarily afraid of being blamed personally.    He was in fact risking and inviting blame from Vicki every moment he refrained from telling her, and he knew that, I think.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 12:55:04 AM »
adam couldn't harm vicki if she wasn't around...

she dodged one bullet when she was released following the kidnapping but everyone knew she was in danger.

how hard would it have been for barnabas or julia or jeff or professor stokes to just say "look vicki things are a bit 'hot' right now.why not leave collinsport for a few weeks."?

having her wandering around like a sitting duck at collinwood didn't make any sense.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 04:55:31 PM »
how hard would it have been for barnabas or julia or jeff or professor stokes to just say "look vicki things are a bit 'hot' right now.why not leave collinsport for a few weeks."?

having her wandering around like a sitting duck at collinwood didn't make any sense.

Well, Stokes tried to scare her into leaving town when she was next in line to suffer the dream curse, but Jeff (what a bonehead) managed to talk her into staying at the Evans cottage instead so they wouldn't be apart.  I imagine she would ignore the Professor again now-- refusing to go so she could be close to Jeff, who flat out told her in this ep that he wasn't budging for at least a week.  Maybe Julia or Barnabas should have at least tried, but I doubt anyone could have talked Vicki into leaving Collinsport at this point unless Jeff went with her.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 09:29:55 AM »
It seems to me that Jeff could have thought up a convincing lie to appease Vicki. He could have told her he was planning a big surprise for her which took a lot of planning, and if he told her what it was, it would spoil the surprise. [winkg]

The writers keep pushing Jeff and Vicky as the couple we're supposed to root for, but they just don't fit together.
Well, I disagree with you, Lydia. I like Jeff and Vicki together. [ghost_smiley]

It was fun to watch Prof. Stokes and Barnabas' conversation about Adam. [ghost_cheesy] They were both very determined, and would only say so much to each other. [ghost_wink] I think it's unfortunate that Stokes didn't find out the whole story about the connection between Barnabas and Adam. [ghost_huh] Stokes could have been more helpful to them. It's strange, because Stokes knew everything except about Barnabas' "affliction".  [ghost_wacko]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 09:40:11 PM »
I wonder if Stokes knew Dave Woodard at all.    On TV, people forgive past transgressions if you're the "hero", but that's pretty unrealistic.    Now that I've seen BC drift aimlessly into being a protagonist during 1968, rather than its being a conscious reformation due to some epiphany, or something, I'm not sure I'm on Barnabas's side myself.

When I see Willie mourning seemingly-buried Barnabas, and he practically weeps at the injustice of it, I have to think this is the most extreme case of Stockholm Syndrome ever.   I want to like Barnabas again but can't find my way back.

Jeff-Vicki would have been fine, if Jeff hadn't inexplicably had a fundamentally different personality than Peter.   They had to keep us guessing, so no Peter personality earlier on, but he could have become Peter-like a bit after finding out.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 03:26:06 AM »
I think that Julia was proud of herself about the experiment. Just think that she was a woman and was able to do the experiment. Almost what she came to Collinsport for. Wanting to find the link between life and death.

If that was the famous notebook then Barnabas' secret is in there.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
If that was the famous notebook then Barnabas' secret is in there.
I figure Julia went to Woolworth's and bought a dozen at a time.

You had quite a Dark Shadows orgy this weekend, lori54!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »
Hang in there, Magnus. If nothing else, then the Chris Jennings saga ought to help you rediscover Barnabas' positive qualities.

I still like Barnabas in 1968, despite the fact he does still do things that make me want to smack him really hard now and then.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 02:52:09 AM »

That is the time that I have to catch up. During the week I spend most of my time working.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 04:51:59 AM »

Man, what would that look like... my brain is boggling...
New game!   Assemble the ultimate DS orgy!   Who gets in and why?   Who does what to whom?   Are there fabulous prizes to be won?   Whoever has the best ideas gets to throw the event!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 01:26:48 AM »
Just that I get caught up.  Also be voting for TV Vote final Weekend. Lets just see how far I can go.

Now a DS orgy. Vampires, Witches, Werewolves, Man Made Monsters, what goes on in all the rooms in Collinwood.  [ghost_shocked]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 04:49:59 AM »
This show is remarkably inconsistent in its portrayal of how vampire bites affect people.   Maggie, Willie and Julia, for instance, acted as if they could barely drag themselves out of bed when that happened to them, while Jeff seems to be just full of vim and vigor.  In addition, where are the bite marks on Jeff's neck?  Here he runs around for the entire episode with his collar wide open. displaying no telltale sign that he's ever been bitten by a vampire.