Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0576  (Read 1749 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0576
« on: June 30, 2008, 06:28:49 PM »

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0576
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:05:11 PM »
Although Angelique wants to be human again, I think she enjoys being a vampire, simply for the control she holds over people.

Roger displayed a rare act of selflessness by offering Jeff a job. I thought it was very thoughtful, seeing as how they care for Vicki so much.

I enjoyed the reminiscing between Liz and Carolyn as Liz was going through her closet.

During Liz's dream, Roger sounded a lot like Joshua.

Why is Angelique still carrying on this curse with Liz? What has she to gain by distracting Liz?
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 07:08:17 AM »
Although Angelique wants to be human again, I think she enjoys being a vampire, simply for the control she holds over people.
Certainly she enjoys the control, but she knows many other ways to get control of people.

Roger displayed a rare act of selflessness by offering Jeff a job. I thought it was very thoughtful, seeing as how they care for Vicki so much.
Weird, wasn't it?  Roger's usual idea of thoughtfulness is letting somebody else share the brandy with him.  I was thinking, "The offer would have made more sense coming from Elizabeth, but I guess she isn't in today's episode."  And as soon as I thought that, we got Liz going through her wardrobe.  I suppose we can't expect her to take an interest in Vicky's future since she believes that she won't be around to see it.  Listen, just in case any of you have anything to do with it: When I die, IF I get buried instead of being cremated, please don't bury me in black.  Shocking pink, or maybe even lime green - but not black.

Why is Angelique still carrying on this curse with Liz? What has she to gain by distracting Liz?
Yeah, that's another thing that's weird.  It's not an unintended Cassandra leftover, because in Elizabeth's dream we saw Angelique dressed in a way that Elizabeth had not seen before, so Angelique is actively involved.  I'm surprised that Nicholas lets her carry on with it, but I daresay he doesn't know about it.

What's that machine in the Old House basement with the monitor that looks like a neon sign and dozens of dials?  Is it real, or is it something that the Dark Shadows crew just put together?  And what size generator would Julia need to operate all that equipment?  I assume the generator would run on gasoline.  How much would it take?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 07:03:46 PM »
yes,

i never understood either how elizabeth went from believing she was naomi collins to fearing being buried alive.both fears are on the same wavelength but i don't believe they ever explained this change.once angelique loses her powers i'm not sure either why this particular curse continues to play out.

i suspect it's just sloppiness on the part of the writers.unfortunately liz was not considered particularly important during this period in 1968(her screentime drastically reduced from 66/67)so rather than write a new storyline for liz they probably thought they could get a bit more mileage out of this for the few episodes a month the character appeared in while adam and company took over.

if i recall liz is restored to her former prominence during the quentin hauntings a few months later.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »
i never understood either how elizabeth went from believing she was naomi collins to fearing being buried alive.both fears are on the same wavelength but i don't believe they ever explained this change.

It may not have actually been a change. Check out this post
... in Ep #514 Liz exhibited signs of being terrified at the thought of being buried alive
for a possible explanation.

once angelique loses her powers i'm not sure either why this particular curse continues to play out.

We don't really know in terms of the storyline why it continues to play out, which might be a bit frustrating - but in real life terms there was a good reason: Joan Bennett wanted/needed time off, and the whole Cass/Ang puts a spell (or spells if one considers the Naomi spell different from the obsession with death spell) on Liz was devised to accommodate that by first sending Liz to Windcliff and then putting her into a supernaturally induced coma. As we've mentioned before, it's often the case that real life events intervened on the plotting of DS and caused certain scenarios to take place or not to take place. But then, DS isn't unique in that respect because it's pretty much the case with all soaps.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 05:01:01 PM »
On Doctor Who once, they wrote an entire episode where the Doctor is asleep in the corner of the room to accommodate the actor's need to be elsewhere.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 03:20:10 AM »
mysterious,

i haven't seen this storyline in quite some time but if i'm remembering correctly when liz was away at windcliff we did not see the character at all for several weeks(this,of course,being explained by joan bennett's need for time off)yet when liz was buried alive some months later we frequently saw her in the coffin unable to communicate(and whether entombed or not bennett would have needed to be on set for filming).

am i imagining this?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 03:56:07 AM »
Sometimes our minds definitely play tricks because Liz is only seen in her coffin in Eps #671 and #672, with #672 being the episode that sees her return to Collinwood.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »
I also was perplexed about why Elizabeth's fear of being buried alive didn't go away after Angelique lost her powers. I guess Joan Bennett's wanting/needing time off caused the DS writers to continue with this storyline, even though it was inconsistent. It's not the first inconsistency on DS, and not the last!  [winkg]

I was pleased when Roger was so nice to offer a job to Jeff for Vicki's sake. [thumb]  In the two years since Vicki arrived, Roger had grown quite fond of her.  It's too bad Jeff had to turn it down; of course, he couldn't tell them the reason.  [ghost_huh]

Jeff did a good job of feeling pain and eroticism all at once when Angelique bit him. I remember when I first watched DS as a young teenager, I used to think that it was romantic to be bitten by a vampire. It didn't seem dangerous at all. Part of me still feels that way now. [ghost_wink] Of course, when the vampire goes too far, death comes and another vampire is born. [vampire] But if the vampire bite is "gentle", it can be quite romantic and erotic. [love3]

I'm glad Angelique was taking steps to try to be the life force for Eve. She was a woman of action, and really had chutzpah!  [ghost_cheesy]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »
Of course, when the vampire goes too far, death comes and another vampire is born. [vampire] But if the vampire bite is "gentle", it can be quite romantic and erotic.
It's no wonder the song "Killing Me Softly with His Fangs" became an instant hit!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »
LOL, Lydia! [lghg] [ghost_cheesy]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 01:44:39 AM »
I didn't like the Angelique thing with Jeff Clark. It was just to much. Pretty soon Angelique is going to run out of men to attack.

But then she behaves the same way as a vampire as she did as a witch.

The curse souldn't have gone on. She lost her powers. Maybe Nicholas wanted it
to gone to keep Liz out of things. There will be a great blooper in the next episode.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate