Author Topic: A question about the Costume Gala  (Read 838 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
A question about the Costume Gala
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »
Who do you go as? How long do it last? Are there any prizes?

My real last name is Drew so I was thinking about going as Randall Drew but it will be a different Randall Drew, one from a different time band. I really don't care about prizes anyway. So are charaters from a timeline that wasn't part of the show out of the question? I doing it either way, I just wanted to know what you all thought about it.
May you die before you want too.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A question about the Costume Gala
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 01:33:26 AM »
Hi, bogrosi/Drew

The duration of the gala varies depending on how many people are involved.  Usually it runs for at least an hour (I've heard that the record was at the 1997 Fest when it was more like 3), but in recent years, the volunteers in charge of the event have tried to speed it up as much as possible.  Unfortunately, especially given that it's such a popular event for the fans, the gala is usually the last event of the day and always gets pushed back from its scheduled time because of the autograph sessions. (Hence, the pressure to wrap things up before midnight).

No prizes are given.  The most popular costumes I've seen are Pansy Faye, Josette, Barnabas, and permutations of Angelique.  There are also fans who simply dress up in period or fantastic costumes; some of them do claim to be original characters (Collins relatives, friends of Barnabas, people from parallel time) while others just model. 

Pretty much anything goes, as long as it's clean.  One woman performs clog and hula dances each year, which are entertaining even though they don't directly relate to DS.  Some people who sing or read poetry (including yours truly) don't dress in costume at all (this year is going to be an exception). Although the time limit for performances is supposed to be 3 mins or less, some acts do go on for much longer.  Usually, everything balances out; people who are in costume only will parade around the stage for a minute or less, freeing up an extra minute or two for somebody else with a short skit or a song.

I'm glad to hear that you've chosen to participate this year, and I look forward to meeting you!

ProfStokes

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: A question about the Costume Gala
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:07:34 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I look forward to meeting you and getting you to sign the preface for "The Physics of Dark Shadows". [ghost_smiley]
May you die before you want too.