Author Topic: And in this corner... Prof. Stokes  (Read 1604 times)

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
And in this corner... Prof. Stokes
« on: June 06, 2002, 07:47:41 PM »
Though the current storyline is my least favorite, I really enjoyed the battle between Angelique and Prof. Stokes in the dream.  I always loved the character of Prof. Stokes, and wished Julia and Barn were more up front with him on things.

He never seemed like the type who would run to the police immediately and tell on Barn.  I think he would have done everything possible to help.  And like I said before, he did always seem to know more about what is going on than he let on.

Round 1 goes to Prof. Stokes.  On to round 2.

deron

Offline Lindsey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: And in this corner... Prof. Stokes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2002, 01:32:22 AM »
I find it hilarious how all the other characters are trying to stop the curse to save Barnabas, but Stokes does it for the thrill of the hunt. Of course, he also cares about Barnabas, but his main reason is he actually does it for FUN! All the other characters are terrified to face Angelique/Cassandra, and for him, it is a sport. Professor Stokes rocks! Lol

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2002, 02:17:51 AM »
He did put his life on the line for Barnabas so I think they can trust him.  I don't know if the reverse is true though.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2002, 02:43:48 AM »
I loved Stokes from the first time I saw him flipping over an occasional table in front of a startled Barnabas, talking about alcoholic cabinetmakers.

But if that had not done it for me, the confrontation for the dream curse would have.  Heck, just hearing him comment about that really rather poorly written rhyme was a total gem ;)

As far as Barnabas and his "secret," I always thought that Stokes knew a lot more than what he let on.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2002, 06:41:18 AM »
*claps*  I was amazed that someone actually overcame Angelique.  :o *gasp* That's amazing. After she glared at him with those KILLER eyes of hers, too! >.< They made *ME* scared!! But wasn't it kinda...eh....stupid for her 2 appear so that he could recognize her? I guess maybe she didn't think he was more powerful than she was. I would have appeared as Julia, and then Stokes would think Julia was the witch. Or if not, it woulda been great seeing Grayson Hall imitating Angelique, fluttering her eyelashes and blinking 20,000 times in a second, and then prying her eyelids up and glaring at him -_- *cracks herself up* teehehe
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2002, 08:17:50 AM »
I always felt the Professor Stokes knew alot more than he cared to say. He was a smart brilliant man so he must of known something was going on with Barnabas that wasn't "quite normal." Perhaps, at the same time, he also felt that some things were better left unsaid so to speak.
I loved how he stood up to Angelique/Cassandra during the dream curse thing. He was so sure of himself and that in itself infuriated her.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2002, 12:13:15 PM »
I always admired Stokes' savvy, intellgence and chutzpah.  The guy had cojones the size of bowling balls.  I think he was one of the most complex and fascinating characters on DS.

Love, Robin

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2002, 09:00:03 PM »
What amazes me is what a fine actor Thayer David is.  This is already his third character in the series, and he portrays each and every one in such a unique way that they don't even look like each other.

Gerard

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2002, 10:10:44 PM »
Prof. Stokes has always been one of my favorite characters.  His participation in the dream curse is the one bright spot in this storyline.  Thayer David made Stokes a fascinating, complex character.  I wonder if his portrayal influenced the writers, because his dialogue is simply inspired, and really captures the essence of the character!  Then again, I've always wondered if David ad-libbed any of his lines.  ;)    

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2002, 11:54:53 PM »
What amazes me is what a fine actor Thayer David is.  This is already his third character in the series, and he portrays each and every one in such a unique way that they don't even look like each other.

Gerard

I agree. I think I actually prefer Ben Stokes to the Professor, but only just slightly. But you are right - you do not think of Ben and his descendant as being the same person - not even as being played by the same actor, the difference is that distinct.

Along with what MikeS said, I wonder if Thayer David reworked his own dialogue and how much. Either the writers were terribly fond of writing for Professor Stokes or else David took up the slack and fixed his lines himself.

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2002, 06:04:50 AM »
Thayer David made Stokes a fascinating, complex character.  I wonder if his portrayal influenced the writers, because his dialogue is simply inspired, and really captures the essence of the character!

I agree, MikeS.  His portrayal of the learned professor may have influenced the writers during the 1968 storyline, but

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

his inspiration seems to have been forgotten during the 1840 storyline (he, like Barnabas and Julia, was a time-traveler from the present), for although he did arrive in 1840, the writers gave him precious little to say or do.  Pity.  ?!?

Ben

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2002, 07:13:49 PM »

I agree, MikeS.  His portrayal of the learned professor may have influenced the writers during the 1968 storyline, but

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

his inspiration seems to have been forgotten during the 1840 storyline (he, like Barnabas and Julia, was a time-traveler from the present), for although he did arrive in 1840, the writers gave him precious little to say or do.  Pity.  ?!?

Ben

I agree Ben . .what was his arrival in 1840 about?  First off Julia was so glad to see someone she knew after Ben died and then . ..Eliot doesn't do anything. . .pops in and out, says he's off to do something, which we never see the results of. . .he's around when Julia disappears too, isn't he . . ?? All we see is Barnabas lamenting her loss. . but where's Eliot to try and help find her?  Strange writing choice they made there.  .very strange. . .
Julia99

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2002, 12:17:33 AM »
I agree Ben . .what was his arrival in 1840 about?  First off Julia was so glad to see someone she knew after Ben died and then . ..Eliot doesn't do anything. . .pops in and out, says he's off to do something, which we never see the results of. . .he's around when Julia disappears too, isn't he . . ?? All we see is Barnabas lamenting her loss. . but where's Eliot to try and help find her?  Strange writing choice they made there.  .very strange. . .

SPOILER.....

I didn't understand his presence there either. He wasn't even in the 1841PT, was he?? I don't remember him. Just that awwwful LOCKED ROOM.... >:( The ending to 1840 was soooooooo sad tho! With Desmond wondering if they ever made it home, chopping down the stairs...awwwww   :'( I have the MPI tapes from that, cuz it was sooo sad :::feels the need 2 go watch them:::

~
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2002, 03:51:41 AM »
I agree Ben . .what was his arrival in 1840 about?  First off Julia was so glad to see someone she knew after Ben died and then . ..Eliot doesn't do anything. . .pops in and out, says he's off to do something, which we never see the results of. . .he's around when Julia disappears too, isn't he . . ?? All we see is Barnabas lamenting her loss. . but where's Eliot to try and help find her?  Strange writing choice they made there.  .very strange. . .

Actually, the good Professor doesn't arrive until after Julia has disappeared and been found. In fact, he arrives just in time for Barn's disappearance, which is relatively near the end of 1840 as I recall. I certainly do agree that he didn't have much to do once he did arrive. I wish they had developed that angle more fully.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2002, 05:53:59 AM »
agree with above in fact i feel he was the best actor on the show !His range was all reaching! Gerard said
he doesn't even look the same! It's so true! I also think of Sandor and Count P! and as for ET everyone should have someone like him to try to solve their problems!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV