Author Topic: 36 inches of glorious shadows!  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
36 inches of glorious shadows!
« on: June 06, 2002, 07:14:12 PM »
Hello all!  [hello]

I am so excited I simply have to share:

Early yesterday morning a wonderful thing arrived:  my new 36" tv and, wow, is it BIG!  You don't realize how puny your trusty 19" set is until you compare it to an eye-popping video image splashed across 36" (that's 3 feet! [wow] ).  

You can guess what I chose to watch first, right?  Watching DS on such a big screen made me feel like I was watching the show on a small movie screen instead of a tv.  Somehow the scenes had more impact.  I think the sound quality is better, too, as I once had the eerie feeling that Prof. Stokes was just behind me in the kitchen explaining his plan to defeat the Dream Curse.  Spooky!

I look forward to today's eye-popping installment!  Let's hope it won't give me nightmares.   ;D

Anyone else watching DS on a bigger tv, too, I wonder?  Anyone have a preference?  Or is a smaller screen more intimate perhaps?

P.S. Please don't misunderstand me here; I have no intention of competing in a "biggest tv contest".  I have been satisfied with my 19" tv for a long, long time.  However, I have secretly longed for a larger screen, and, by golly, it looks like I've got it!
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 36 inches of glorious shadows!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2002, 08:38:54 PM »
Oh dear, you have me beat. I will have to rush out and get further in debt this MOMENT in order to best you! Ha, ha, just kidding. I am happy enough with my 27 ". Not huge, not tiny.

I do hope that you will get the DVDS in order to really see the shows in all their possible glory. I am looking forward to doing that at same date. Not working right now, so it is NOT the time.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2002, 10:46:17 PM »
Do you mind my asking how much it cost? I would love to have a 36" TV but I can't realistically afford anything bigger than a 27", which is what I have now. Still, even that seems pretty big compared to the 19" I used to have.

If money were no object I'd run right out and buy one of those new digital TV's with the flat wide screen. I've seen them at Sears and they're awesome.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2002, 10:57:02 PM »
Cool happy Bat[coolb]

how is the picture?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2002, 11:06:51 PM »
Chris,

The tv cost $769, which, although not "cheap" by any means, appeared to be much less than I expected.  To tell you the truth, I was initially going to buy a Magnavox 36" for $599, but the Panasonic seemed to be a better buy in terms of picture quality.  Of course, I also got a tv stand and a 4 year service plan (which wasn't that much), so I did fork out a bit more than that.

The few times in the past that I did look at tv prices it seemed to me that anything over 27" was always around $1000 or more, which was more than I could afford.  

Needless to say, that trip to the UK I was thinking about will probably have to wait until 2003!  But those are the breaks, right?  ;D

Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

vampire675

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2002, 11:36:45 PM »
You are right, happybat!
I have a 35" RCA with a lot better sound system than my old 19".
It makes a world of difference when watching DS on SciFi Ch, as well as my DS video tapes.
  Have fun, live long & prosper!
   vampire675

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2002, 12:48:30 AM »
Early yesterday morning a wonderful thing arrived:  my new 36" tv and, wow, is it BIG!  You don't realize how puny your trusty 19" set is until you compare it to an eye-popping video image splashed across 36" (that's 3 feet!)

That's grand, Happybat! We have a 27-incher, and even that seems whopping compared to the 19-inch we had prior to that. A friend of mine has a 36-incher, though (with a monster sound system to boot), and we watched the director's cut of ALIENS on DVD. Holy shpit, it was almost like being in the theater.

I bet DS looks great.  ;D

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2002, 01:10:17 AM »
Hey all! About 6 years ago, my dad got sick of our 19 inch tv. So, he just went out and bought a 50 inch! It's wonderful, although it completely spoils me. Whenever I have to watch t.v. in the back bedroom, which is a 19 inch, it just seems so tiny. Dark Shadows is awesome that huge, it seems to take over the entire living room.

Peace,
Lindsey

P.S. My dad is always doing wierd things like that. Two years ago he went out saying he wanted to take a look at new cars and he came home with a 2000 Honda Civic. He did the same with the exercise bike. His most recent purchase was the cell phone, which he is obsessed with. He takes it everywhere and calls us about the wierdest things too. He called my mom saying he was eating potato soup. Yesterday, he called me while he was on a walk. He was like, "Well, I am two houses down right now." LOL
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2002, 03:59:56 AM »
Hey all! About 6 years ago, my dad got sick of our 19 inch tv. So, he just went out and bought a 50 inch! It's wonderful, although it completely spoils me. Whenever I have to watch t.v. in the back bedroom, which is a 19 inch, it just seems so tiny. Dark Shadows is awesome that huge, it seems to take over the entire living room.

Peace,
Lindsey

P.S. My dad is always doing wierd things like that. Two years ago he went out saying he wanted to take a look at new cars and he came home with a 2000 Honda Civic. He did the same with the exercise bike. His most recent purchase was the cell phone, which he is obsessed with. He takes it everywhere and calls us about the wierdest things too. He called my mom saying he was eating potato soup. Yesterday, he called me while he was on a walk. He was like, "Well, I am two houses down right now." LOL

my Dad is still like that! Lindsey men and their toys!

jennifer[peace]
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2002, 04:22:42 PM »

it was almost like being in the theater.

I bet DS looks great.  ;D

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

It does, Mark, it does!  My living room is not that big really (I live in an apartment, after all), which did make me momentarily question my sanity when the deed was done.  But I don't regret having spent what I did for it.  Last night I finally added the cable box and my miraculous 15 year old VCR (yes, I did say 15!) to the stand and programmed the remote.  Seeing 36" of Trek was also rather exciting!

And Kuanyin, next week I will finally experience DVD for the first time at a friend's house.  We will be watching "The Others", a terrific film that I have already seen once, but never on DVD.  Can't wait!  However, my ancient VCR works fine and I have no immediate plans to buy a DVD just yet, but someday maybe.   :D

Happybat

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2002, 11:06:04 AM »
WOW! Good for you HappyBat! It's nice to hear someone sharing their good news.  Okay, now we're all going to have to trek over to your place to watch our favorite show!  Lotsa luck!! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2002, 02:25:33 PM »
We've owned a 36-inch TV for quite some time now, but we also have a small living room, so I sometimes feel like I'm sitting in a movie theater--too close to the screen!

I wanted to share another memory with all of you.  When DS went from black and white to color (perhaps late 1967 or early '68), we still had a black and white TV.  While I longed to see the show in glorious color, it seemed like it wasn't going to happen, but then my mother's boyfriend at the time surprised us all with a new console color TV set!  

My first image was of gorgeous Carolyn, standing on the balcony overlooking Collinwood's foyer.  Her hair was so blonde, and she looked stunning!  I know many people find the B X W eps of DS evocative, but for me, color is still my favorite.  

Love, Robin