Author Topic: Carolyn's Gravestone  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
Carolyn's Gravestone
« on: June 06, 2002, 05:31:42 AM »
Does it strick anyone else as a little odd that the headstone Carolyn sees in the dream with her name on it looks like one from the 19th century?  ::) You'd think that a more modern stone would be more believable, even as a prop in a dream. Or were they trying to convey a "classic" graveyard look that looks more like a Halloween prop?
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn's Gravestone
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2002, 03:48:05 PM »
They probably only had so much styrofoam left, not enough to create a modern headstone.  And, of course, if they REALLY wanted it to appear contemporary, it shoulda had a good spray of faded plastic flowers (along with at least one visible bird calling-card).

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2002, 04:32:53 PM »
More likely the cemetary is just like the one where my folks are buried....more rules and regulations about what you can and cannot do, than a convent school brochure.  

Since it's a very old cemetary it's probably on some "Historical List" and therefore all the headstones have to look like Abigail Adams could be buried there.  ::)

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2002, 04:35:39 PM »
They probably only had so much styrofoam left, not enough to create a modern headstone.
Gerard

LOL!  Yes, that is probably the reason.  Still, I think this was psychologically far scarier than anything else behind those other doors.  Seeing our own tombstones complete with a death dates reminds us of the one inevitable thing that most of us fear the most.  

When I see those doors I still think Monty Hall could have done a great parody of the Dream Curse:

"Now Miss Stoddard, for the grand prize, will you take what's behind door number one ... or door number three ...  or will you keep the money?   ;)
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2002, 08:14:54 PM »
I doubt too much thought went into it. The script called for a tombstone with Carolyn's name on it, and the prop guys made one.

Seeing our own tombstones complete with a death dates reminds us of the one inevitable thing that most of us fear the most.

And it's certainly scarier than stock footage of bats from National Geographic.

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2002, 10:00:40 PM »

LOL!  Yes, that is probably the reason.  Still, I think this was psychologically far scarier than anything else behind those other doors.  Seeing our own tombstones complete with a death dates reminds us of the one inevitable thing that most of us fear the most.  

I agree H.B. I think it was the psychology of the whole thing that was suppose to be scary. It if were my dream, I know it wouldn't matter what kind of headstone I saw,  just seeing one with my name on it would be enough just to give me the creeps. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2002, 10:43:12 PM »
I didn't think about the fact that the tombstone was so old-fashioned looking, but you're right, realistically it would have been a flat stone of shiny marble.

What I did wonder about was Carolyn's name: Carolyn Collins Stoddard. Is her middle name Collins? Did Elizabeth name her that so that Collins would be part of her name? Also, the date on the tombstone was July 15. I was under the impression these episodes originally aired in June, but perhaps it was actually July.  ?!?

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2002, 11:06:36 PM »

When I see those doors I still think Monty Hall could have done a great parody of the Dream Curse:

"Now Miss Stoddard, for the grand prize, will you take what's behind door number one ... or door number three ...  or will you keep the money?   ;)

I agree Happy Bat i also find it creepy to see your name on the headstone with the birthdate waiting for the
the death year. i know people do this and my great aunt at one of the family funerals showed us hers and said "I"m next" didn't bother her but gave me the creeps
for the rest of the day!
also noted the DOB for her (dec 8)wonder if it had any meaning!
my me it is my 3 nieces birthdays !

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2002, 02:54:16 AM »
What I did wonder about was Carolyn's name: Carolyn Collins Stoddard. Is her middle name Collins? Did Elizabeth name her that so that Collins would be part of her name?

Well, it didn't used to be uncommon for prominent families to include (or name) their children with family surnames.  I believe that it was an effort to keep alive or to honor a particular connection.  Or sometimes a way to indicate that hey, this isn't just some kid with the last name of Adams--this is John QUINCY Adams.  Not that the Adamses needed to be picky about their last name, but it's the first example that came to mind.

Also I suspect that by then Liz had discovered (if there had ever been any question) that Paul Stoddard wasn't much either in person or in family heritage, so this was her way of keeping Carolyn tied to the Collins family.

Luciaphil

P.S.  Gerard, I laughed for like five minutes at the styrofoam comment.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga