Author Topic: Dream curse question  (Read 1537 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dream curse question
« on: June 04, 2002, 11:53:09 PM »
I just love how Julia was so blase about explaining it to Willie. Oh yes, it is a dream curse, we've all been having it. As though, it was quite commonplace. Is the dream curse concept an original idea? It is one of the few themes which I am not familiar with from other sources.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dream curse question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 03:27:25 AM »
I believe Midnite spoke about a similar curse (not exactly a dream curse, but one that carried from one person to another) in an old b/w movie -- l hope I have this right -- "Curse of the Demon."  I saw the movie for the first time on AMC not long ago -- was intrigued when I read a synopsis of it because of a personal interest in (Nordic) runes, which this curse made use of.  It was based on a story called "Casting the Runes," I think.  I didn't think of the DS dream curse when I was watching it, but there are similarities.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 05:27:57 AM »
While I was in Portland, I picked up a compilation of Benson's ghost stories (thanks to the thread that mentioned them earlier) and got to read "The Room in the Tower" which Rainey rightly attributed as having similarities to the dream curse.  Great story.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 05:35:22 AM »
Luciaphil, I'm so glad you managed to find "The Collected Ghost Stories".....and that you enjoyed "The Room in the Tower".

Personally, I found "The Thing in the Hall" the creepiest of the bunch.  Hmmmmm, I just might go re-read it now.... ;)

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2002, 09:00:07 AM »
Is the dream curse concept an original idea? It is one of the few themes which I am not familiar with from other sources.

According to the DS Almanac's list of literary sources for DS, the inspiration for the Dream Curse is a 1968 story called "The Dream Deceivers."  I've never read it, I've never heard of it, and since the author is unknown I'm afraid I can't tell you much more.  Maybe somebody else (one of our librarians, perhaps) will be able to provide more information.

ProfStokes

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2002, 07:02:56 PM »
According to the DS Almanac's list of literary sources for DS, the inspiration for the Dream Curse is a 1968 story called "The Dream Deceivers."  I've never read it, I've never heard of it, and since the author is unknown I'm afraid I can't tell you much more.  Maybe somebody else (one of our librarians, perhaps) will be able to provide more information.

Okay, I had to take up that challenge. I have searched every source that we have at LAPL (short story index back to 1949, in house extensive short story index, card catalog, even the Internet) and can find no short story with that title. I did find a 1985 documentary film by that title but nothing else. Also, if the story was written in 1968, it had to be very new when the dream curse aired on DS. Didn't the writers of DS mostly take from stuff that would have been in public domain? Much as I admire KLS, I do have to say that she has been known to get her facts wrong  :o  so maybe this information is not entirely correct? Luciaphil, you're good at this, maybe you can find a short story called "Dream Deceivers."  :D

Bette  [read]
Life works if you let it

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2002, 07:39:09 PM »

Okay, I had to take up that challenge. I have searched every source that we have at LAPL (short story index back to 1949, in house extensive short story index, card catalog, even the Internet) and can find no short story with that title. I did find a 1985 documentary film by that title but nothing else. Also, if the story was written in 1968, it had to be very new when the dream curse aired on DS. Didn't the writers of DS mostly take from stuff that would have been in public domain? Much as I admire KLS, I do have to say that she has been known to get her facts wrong  :o so maybe this information is not entirely correct? Luciaphil, you're good at this, maybe you can find a short story called "Dream Deceivers."   :D

[blshy] Thank you, Bette, but I'm not having much better luck than you are.  Nothing in WorldCat.  Nothing in the Short Story indexes we have via the public library here.  Can't find it via a Google search (although lots of hits for the film you mentioned.  And nothing in any of the pertinent databases at my school (and God knows, we have a lot of databases).

Do we know that it's a short story for certain?

I don't know that they would have worried too much about copyright violation for a literary work--I know the soaps today still do flagrant ripoffs of stories (AW even ripped off Damon Runyon, who would still have been under copyright protection) and I have yet to see any credit given to the original sources.

Wondering if this is a story that would have been published in a pulp magazine, which would explain why we can't find it now . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2002, 10:52:52 PM »

Do we know that it's a short story for certain?

No, we don't.  :-/ I assumed that it was, but on the list, ("Shadows Sources") everything is italicized--both things that I know to be short stories (e.g. "The Pit and the Pendulum") and titles that are definitely novels. (e.g. Rebecca.)  I thought that it would be less likely to have a novel whose author was unknown than a short story, so I referred to it as a story.

I commend you, Bette and Luciaphil, on your research! [hello]

ProfStokes

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2002, 11:07:50 PM »
If the Almanac states that the author of "Dream Deceivers" was unkown, was it possible that it was a story that someone sent to Dan Curtis unsolicited?  

But then, once it was used, surely that person would have shown up demanding compensation.  That would have been the case WHEREVER it came from, wouldn't it....so how on earth can they credit a story, and then say they don't know who wrote it?  Hmmmmmmmm.......

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2002, 11:45:40 PM »
hey good work trying to find the source to all of you
(I love our librarians here in town Lovely very helpful
people) but whatever it is from sorry they copied it
one of my least favorite things from the show!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2002, 11:47:52 PM »
Luciaphil, I'm so glad you managed to find "The Collected Ghost Stories".....and that you enjoyed "The Room in the Tower".

Personally, I found "The Thing in the Hall" the creepiest of the bunch.  Hmmmmm, I just might go re-read it now.... ;)

Raineypark

Now you two have me interested will have to look for those myself!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV