Author Topic: Robservations 6/5/02 - #507/508 - Stokes Intervenes  (Read 1942 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 6/5/02 - #507/508 - Stokes Intervenes
« on: June 04, 2002, 08:32:18 PM »
507 - Carolyn dreams of hearing a knock at the door, but she refuses to answer it, arguing with herself about doing so. Willie told her the dream would start with a knock at the door. Go to the door, Carolyn, she tells herself, seemingly two separate people. No, says the other Carolyn, no further. Answer it! demands her other self, and she screams no, she will not. She falls on her bed, wakes up, and says, "I will not have that dream!"

Old House - Stokes picks up and examines a tchochka. Julia tells him she's desperate-he must stop the dreams. He says it sounds like the dreams are his fault, and she says that had occurred to her--he did bring Cassandra into the family. He admits he's fond of power, but not enough to make a man marry a woman. If Julia doesn't trust him. . .I don't know, I think I do. Decide, he advises, but in his defense, she came to him about the dreams. Because he was the only person she could think of who could help--she does trust him, and she's worried about the dreams coming so much closer to Barnabas. Whoever started it is determined Barnabas die. Something worse, amends Julia.
What's worse? asks Stokes, but she says hers was a pointless remark. Stokes feels nothing connected to Barnabas is pointless, and the more he studies the dream, the more he realizes that. Has he reached conclusions? she asks--thank heavens, because Willie is going through hell. Only one more person must have the dream, says Stokes, a woman, and that woman may make it possible for Barnabas never to have the dream. Julia is anxious to hear, but Stokes advises this doctor to have patience- she will know in good time, he must check out his findings. If one of his calculations is wrong, they'll have lost. He shows her a picture of Josette's portrait, which she says resembles Maggie Evans. Right, the love of the first Barnabas Collins, says Stokes. He wondered, when he met Maggie, why the dream curse began with her, and realized the witch has a sense of humor-to get at Barnabas, the witch began with Josette. But, points out Julia, not looking at Stokes, Maggie isn't Josette and this Barnabas isn't that one. They look the same, says Stokes, act the same-I must know personal facts about Barnabas to help him. Julia promises to try. First Maggie, then Jeff, but neither had a close relationship with Barnabas. Lang did, and then Julia. Was Barnabas going through a difficult period when Lang and Julia had the dream? Yes, says Julia, but not when Jeff or Maggie had the dream. Next came Mrs. Johnson and David, muses Stokes. Obviously, Barnabas' personal crisis had resolved itself, and the dream went to comparative strangers. But now, with Willie Loomis-yes, he is going through a difficult time, says Julia, who explains that she locked Willie in his room so he wouldn't tell Carolyn the dream. He MUST! bursts out Stokes, because the beckoner in Carolyn's dream will be Barnabas Collins! Then he must never tell her, says Julia. Stokes says I can be the beckoner in Carolyn's dream, not Barnabas-I'm willing to take a chance, and if it works--if I live-Barnabas Collins will be saved-will you take a chance with me? Yes, I think so, says Julia. Stokes orders Julia to bring Carolyn to the Old House immediately, then sits down in one of the chairs, thinking hard.

Carolyn is in consternation when she learns of this plan. She doesn't want to have that dream, she tells Stokes and Julia after joining them at the Old House. Stokes says she'll have it in a controlled situation.
Carolyn is still terrified; she saw how frantic Willie was when he told her the little he did, and David was the same. It's going to kill someone, she sobs--let Willie tell someone else. You must hear it, insists Stokes, you were in Willie's dream, as David was in Mrs. Johnson's. The dream is most curious, beginning with terrifying simplicity, but each new person who dreams it carries it one step further-until the final person, the person against whom the dream is directed-it ends in death, or something worse than death, as Julia said. You aren't the intended victim, says Stokes, Barnabas is. Carolyn asks Julia if she believes this, and Julia says yes. Carolyn wondersv why anyone would want Barnabas to die. Stokes says Julia thinks she knows, but he won't answer definitely until Carolyn has the dream. Upset, Carolyn asks why it always comes back to that-he makes it seem so important that she go through with it. It is, says Julia. Stokes assures Carolyn that if she agrees, they'll stay with her, and if there's thec slightest sign of danger, they'll wake her. Julia will monitor pulse and heartbeat. What about afterwards? asks Carolyn. As soon as you wake, you'll tell me your dream, says Stokes. What if you aren't my beckoner? asks Carolyn.  will be, promises Stokes, if you trust me. Carolyn stands, clasps her face, and walks a few steps away-she shouldn't have come here, she knew it was something about the dream--she has a feeling of dread. And she will until she experiences the rest of the dream, says Stokes. All right, says Carolyn, but now!--she has to get it over with. Stokes slaps his thigh with joy and tells Julia to take Carolyn to Willie Loomis. They walk off, Carolyn looking like she's heading for the death chamber. Stokes grins after them, sighing with pleasure.

Josette's room - Stokes tells Carolyn to look into his eyes. Keep looking. An eye sees out, but the images come in, too, and if you keep looking, you will see-what do you see? A door, says Carolyn. Exactly, says Stokes, describe the door. She says it's the door to this room. You're going to hear a knock at the door, says Stokes, but you won't be frightened-because I will be the person knocking--you will expect to see me in your dream, and you will--understood?--repeat it, orders Stokes, and Carolyn does. If for any reason I'm not, says Stokes, you will immediately awaken. Julia and Stokes lead the entranced Carolyn into Josette's bed, where she lies down. When he says the word, she will close her eyes and sleep, says Stokes.
Julia anxiously asks if it will work, and Stokes says they must hope so-he isn't fond of wasting time. Carolyn dreams. When the knock comes, she asks who it is, but there is no answer, so she glides over and finds Stokes. She asks what he wants, and he points. I don`t want to follow you, I don't care what you promised me! she says, but follows despite herself. She asks him to come with her, but he doesn't respond, and she goes in alone. She bangs on the door, begging him to let her out. Stokes' voice recites the "head of blazing light speech." Doors: Skull. Guillotine. Skeletal, laughing bride. Carolyn screams shrilly, loudly, after each horrific revelation.
Funeral music leads her to the next door, which contains her headstone: CAROLYN COLLINS STODDARD, BORN DEC 8, 1948, DIED JULY 15, 1968. "No!" cries Carolyn, and she awakens, screeching, "I saw my own gravestone!" "Tell me your dream!" demands Stokes.

Julia and Stokes walk downstairs, musing over how incredible it is, the relief Carolyn felt after telling him. Julia remembers it, too-once told, it's as if the dream never happened. Stokes is pleased with himself; the witch didn't count on his appearance, but that's all it took to accept himself into Carolyn's dream-Yankee impudence! He must stop congratulating himself, the work is only half done-all it takes is meditation and will, and he prides himself on both. When he was a boy, he used to envy St. George, because he found his dragon to battle. And now you've found yours, chuckles Julia. Yes, says Stokes, the occult is more interesting-and dangerous-than any medieval cave. "You will dream the dream-and you will see the witch," says Julia. I'll be disappointed if I don't, says Stokes. Why will she come? asks Julia, to which Stokes replies, "You've decided she's a woman. I rather counted on that myself, but then I'm a romantic--she will come because I've broken all the rules she laid down in her dream curse-I will speak and make my beckoner speak, I will say the riddle myself, and I will refuse to open her doors." Julia remarks that he makes it sound so simple, but Stokes says nothing is simple when two lives are at stake--for his own life is. Then you mustn't do it, insists Julia, touching Stokes' shoulder. If he doesn't, Barnabas will die, says Stokes. Julia is frightened, but he shushes her. "Now it will begin," he says, closing his eyes. He sleeps, and refuses to answer the furious knocking at the door.

NOTES: I LOVE Stokes! He is just so cool, collected and together, isn't he? I always enjoyed the way he handled this dream curse business, and the ep that follows is really wonderful. Now Angeliqque has a true adversary. Stokes is doing this for the sheer pleasure of the hunt; would he help if he knew he was championing a man who was only recently a vampire?

508 - In his dream, Stokes gets up from the chair, refusing to open the door unless the person knocking identifies himself/herself. The knocking continues, relentlessly. "Who is at the door?" asks Stokes insistently. It's the blind Sam Evans, a friend. They are linked together, says Sam. "By whom?" demands Stokes, hearing Cassandra's laughter. Stokes refuses to allow Sam to lead him, but Sam warns him he'll die if he goes alone. "I will not die. . .here," says Stokes. Sam tells Stokes not to touch the door, he isn't permitted in that room, and if he enters, he won't come out alive. Stokes enters anyway, saying the worst that will happen is having to hear the pitiful riddle. (Doncha love it?-painful for all of us!) Stokes himself recites the riddle, defiantly, and closes the door, telling Sam to lock it for himself. Stokes is in the room of doors, and says, "Work your wonders. I am here, without fear, without panic." The music begins, and he calls it charming, but it isn't sending him rushing to the door--he'll stay as long as he likes, he's quite comfortable. He hears footsteps. Stokes says, "Whoever you are, I am waiting for you. Come out!" A door opens. . .

Stokes finds himself face to face with Angelique, dressed in 1795 clothing. Cold and beautiful, she closes the door. She calls him Ben Stokes, and tells him that sending for her is the last thing he'll ever do. He says he isn't Ben Stokes, but he knows her-Angelique Collins. "You are Ben to me," says Ang, but Stokes says he's Timothy, and she does not have control over him. She orders him to look behind one of the doors, but he orders her to end the curse. She reminds him of what happens to Ben when he tells her what to do. Ben was ignorant, says Stokes. Ang threatens to make him as ignorant as Ben was. Only if I believe you can, counters Stokes, and I don't--she's out of her century, and he's secure in his. Why do you want to save Barnabas? asks Ang, and he answers: I loathe injustice. This sends Ang into gales of laughter, and he notes her amusement--he figured amusement would amuse her. Ang says that Barnabas is getting what he deserves, and Stokes is a fool-do you know about Barnabas? No, he replies. Then why are you interfering? She asks. It pleases Stokes that she realizes he is interfering. He admits he's more interested in her than Barnabas. Stokes deliberately keeps his eyes averted from hers. She orders him to look at her, and he does. What do you see? she asks. That you are beautiful, says Stokes, looking away-he doesn't trust her eyes. She asks for his hand, saying she doesn't believe he isn't Ben. His hand could tell her-she told his future many times. He opens his palm, and she draws a pitchfork on it. She orders him to go to the doors, look behind them-if he refuses, he will be left here for eternity, "a statue amidst the ruin". Stokes gazes at the pitchfork, seemingly entranced. He will go to the doors, she admonishes, forced to tell the dream, and he will have helped, not stopped, her. "Cassandra Collins!" he calls. She turns to face him and says she knows no one by that name. Go to the door, she demands. You are Cassandra, he accuses, and she tells him his heart is starting to beat faster. . .he is mute. . .he calls them her old tricks and asks if she doesn't have any new ones.
He won't allow her to harm him! You will die, she screams, and he agrees, but in his own bed of natural causes. He remembers the first day she came to his class, the day she introduced him to Roger-she has used him quite enough, and now that he knows who and what she is. . .Angelique disappears! Stokes calls to Cassandra. A door opens, and he hears her voice, "You have not won, Ben Stokes, you will not win, you will never win-NEVER!" And her laughter echoes as the door shuts.

Stokes awakens from his dream. Julia tells him his pulse changed at one point. He knows when-the footsteps started. She asks if he was successful, and he asks for a sherry. Yes, the curse is stopped, he says. "Thank God!" exults Julia. He feels no compulsion to tell the dream-the pattern is broken. He knows the witch is his former student, Cassandra. How did he know I suspected Cassandra? asks Julia, and Stokes responds, because she knows much much more than she will admit. He will ask no more questions, and feels gratified by the extent of his powers. She can't believe the dream is finished forever, and Stokes suggests she think of it as a war. How long does it take to regroup an army, re-think it? he asks. There's a knock at the door and Stokes goes to answer. It's Sam Evans, along with Joe, asking for Barnabas. Stokes introduces himself to them, and Sam introduces himself. Joe leads the blind Sam into the drawing room. Stokes surveys Sam, who asks if the professor sent for him. No, says Stokes. You did send for me, insists Sam, irritated at the way everyone is treating him like an old, blind fool. Stokes invites him to sit down. He and Joe were spending the evening together, says Sam, with Joe baby-sitting. "OK, Sam," says Joe--Maggie is in Bangor and Joe is keeping an eye on him.
Sam wishes he could see him, because he has a clear picture of Stokes. Sam suddenly heard Stokes' name, as if out of thin air, it came to him. He asked Joe if they knew anyone named Stokes, and Joe recalled Maggie mentioning him. Joe explains that Sam had the feeling he had to come here tonight--they didn't expect to find Stokes there, but Sam knew he had to come--he didn't know why until Stokes introduced himself. Does Stokes have something to tell him, asks Sam, and Julia interjects, "No, Sam, he hasn't." Sam insists Julia let him answer for himself, but Stokes' response matches Julia. Upset, Sam asks Stokes what kind of game he's playing--he isn't going crazy, too! Stokes calls it a coincidence-perhaps a man of his sensibilities has affinities to psychic coincidence. When he knocked, he had just awakened from a nap, had a dream--and even though he has never seen him before in his life, Sam was in his dream. Joe says it doesn't seem possible. Sam asks about the dream, but Stokes says just because he was in it, he doesn't need to know it--some force brought Sam here, a strange force. Tell me what force, demands Sam, but Timothy refuses--go home and forget he came here, he tells Sam.

Returning to the cottage, Sam tells Joe there was no satisfaction at all--something is going on there he doesn't understand. Joe assures Sam he doesn't think he's crazy; he doesn't know what to think, and how could Stokes dream about Sam without ever meeting him? Joe feels something weird is going on, and reminds Sam about the dream Maggie had a few weeks ago, that scared her to death. Sam asks Joe not to tell Maggie about this-no need to think her father has gone haywire. Joe wants to see Sam into the cottage, but the proud artist tells him sometimes a man wants to be alone, and that hasn't changed even though he's blind--what could happen here? Joe reminds Sam about the man who jumped from Widows' Hill, but Sam feels sure that guy must be dead. He tells Joe to go home-warning him if he doesn't leave him alone, he won't let him marry Maggie. Joe takes off and Sam unlocks the cottage door. He hears a door slam and calls, "Maggie, are you back?" A window is wide open, wind blowing the curtains. Sam calls to Joe, but there is no response. Sam notices the cold draft and wonders where it's coming from. He checks to make sure the door is closed, then finds the window open-wait--Joe closed that! He hears the door close again and demands, "Who's here?" He uses his white cane to navigate, nearly tripping, and opens a door and calls Maggie. Adam, his face a bloody mess, stands before the helpless, unseeing Sam, holding a large, glittering kitchen knife!
NOTES: This is a scene that really made me jump the first time, I wasn't expecting Adam to show up at all!

How courageous is Stokes? He faces down a witch, knowing his own life could be in jeopardy, yet he does it anyway, for the sheer sport of it. Of course, he doesn't want anything bad to happen to Barnabas, either. Interesting how Angelique keeps calling him Ben--surely she is aware this man is Ben's smarter, much more savvy ancestor, and what worked on Ben couldn't work on T. Stokes? It's going to be fun to see if he can continue to outwit her, because you KNOW her powers sent Sam there, and she isn't going to let up until she gets her way.

Love, Robin

Offline mfmdpt

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 6/5/02 - #507/508 - Stokes Intervenes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 08:34:05 AM »
Stokes enters anyway, saying the worst that will happen is having to hear the pitiful riddle. (Doncha love it?-painful for all of us!)

I've always thought the riddle was pretty inventive. I love how the last line, "And one door leads to the point of return," gets Julia into hot water when Stokes questions her about its possible meaning. That's a great scene.
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 08:35:22 PM »
Today's second episode is one of my favorites in the run of the show, and probably my favorite Stokes episode!  After sitting through endless repetitions of the dream curse, it was such a relief to finally see something new.  Thayer David was brilliant!  I absolutely loved the way that the professor handled both the dream and Angelique.  She always seems to wield so much power over everybody; at last here is someone who can resist her!

I can remember applauding the first time that I saw this episode.  Last year, I finally decided that I needed to have the MPI tape.  I couldn't wait for Wednesday, so I watched it over the weekend--twice.  ;D

Three cheers for Professor Stokes! [thumb] [hello] [hello] [hello]

ProfStokes

vampire675

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2002, 03:01:32 AM »
Still keeping count!

Dream Curse recipient #8-Carolyn Stoddard-episode 507-final door=her own headstone.
Prof. Stokes had hypnotically programmed her to only dream of him as her beckoner, instead of Barnabas.

Recipient #9-Prof. Tim Stokes-episode 508-thru willpower and meditation, he is able to break the cycle by making his beckoner speak, recites the riddle himself, and refuses to open any of the doors.

To me, Prof. Stokes is supremely confident in his ability to face the witch, that is until Sam Evans and Joe come knocking on the door and Sam asks him if there isn't something he wants to tell Sam. Can the dream curse be salvaged by Angelique/Cassandra?

Take care...vampire675

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2002, 05:24:05 AM »
Still keeping count!

Excellent synopsis, vampire675