Author Topic: kls' voiceovers  (Read 1306 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
kls' voiceovers
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:53:46 AM »
i was watching an episode where kathryn leigh scott recited the opening voiceover.for a second i didn't recognize her voice("...paging doctor get-a-life...").

anywho this has happened before.i think that perhaps miss scott spoke the voiceover using her own speaking voice rather than speaking as "maggie" who used a slightly higher,more girlish pitch.

has anyone notied this with her or other actors?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: kls' voiceovers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:07:28 AM »
I hadn't really thought too much about it until I read your post, mscbryk, but I have noticed it with Grayson Hall's voiceovers. Usually she's always worried or screaming "BAR-NUH-BAS" as Julia, but when she does the voiceovers her voice is much deeper, and less over-the-top dramatic. I'd suspect that upon closer examination we'd probably notice that for many of the actors who did voiceovers on the show--that their voiceover readings were in a deeper register of their voice than their regular character performances.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:16:11 AM »
It was marginally freaky hearing Jonathan Frid doing a voiceover.  It was almost completely unrecognizable!   Thayer David's are interesting, too... I think it's the only time we hear him just speaking as himself.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:08:22 AM »
Nancy Barrett's voice-overs are very somber and breathy, but often, so is Carolyn. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the actors who do the daily voice-overs (those openings definitely a great DS device in its own right, but that's another thread) are using their own natural voices or those of their characters - that is, after the "My name is Victoria Winters..." openings from the first year were dropped. Did Alexandra Moltke change her general delivery of the openings at all once she didn't have to start with "My name is..."? I'll have to listen and compare.

KLS' voiceovers were always captivating to me. She sounded as if she'd had experience reading stories out loud to younger children. I know she did a stint as a Playboy bunny; was she also a kindergarten teacher for a brief time?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »
I think of this thread every time I watch Dark Shadows these days.  All the actors speak with deeper voices during the voiceovers, as far as I can tell.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
i was watching an episode where kathryn leigh scott recited the opening voiceover.for a second i didn't recognize her voice("...paging doctor get-a-life...").

i personally think she (scott) did a few "my name is Victoria Winters..."  as well.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 04:24:17 AM »
Yep I was notcing just yesterday (watching 1968) KLS acting voice verus her voiceover and how different!! :)  It's more of the actor's bringing their narrative voices to the part instead of the characters voice.  IMHO [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/