Author Topic: Beware of Windows SP3  (Read 4786 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Beware of Windows SP3
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »
I don't think this was discussed here as my search utilizing the search engine here on this topic proved negative.

Please be aware of the problems associated with downloading the Microsoft Windows Service Pack 3 update. After I downloaded it last night I was instructed to reboot and subsequently I was unable to start my windows running. Yeah no computer. I later learned from the techs at HP that they are aware of the issues with this update so much that the tech person I spoke to did not even attempt to download the upgrade. I strongly recommend you research this before you download the update because if I did I would have come across this article. I have IE7 and Windows XP edition.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207800691

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of Windows SP3
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:08:54 AM »
As everyone knows by now (probably only too well [ghost_wink]), I HATE Microsoft and Windows with a passion - but I installed SP3 on my computer last week without any problems whatsoever. Go figure. But then, it really does matter what type of hardware one has in one's computer. I guess I just lucked out for a change that the SP3 upgrade liked all of my hardware. That most certainly hasn't always been the case in the past...

Thanks for posting the warning, jimbo.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 04:01:00 AM »
Wow, I must be really lucky too.  I installed SP3 last weekend and haven't experienced a single problem.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 04:16:42 AM »
Wow Midnite and MB you are certainly very fortunate not to have experienced what I went through yesterday-screaming at the computer like a madman-not knowing what the heck just happened-being placed on hold by HP forever and then I was talked into renewing my warranty just to have them assist me in restarting my windows-I swear that there must be some conspiracy between Microsoft and HP. jk Now I can laugh about it and have a drink or two.

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:35:11 AM »
I just finished installing SP3.  So far, so good.  I am always nervous whenever an update like this occurs.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »
I may be the last soul on earth to get SP3, but my automatic updates finally put it on my computer today. So far (fingers crossed), no issues at all, and some MS programs do run faster -- MS Word and Front Page, if nothing else -- as advertised. Hoping for the best here...

I too am always nervous about updates, as I (like a hundred thousand others who use Zone Alarm) was knocked off the internet by a recent Windows update.

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:26:35 AM »
I did not download SP3 until my computer guru gave me the OK.  He had gotten the update two weeks before it was released to everyone else.  97% of the download went fine until the registry update, then everything went wrong.  He said it was another example of Microsoft releasing something before they work all the kinks out.  Once the registry issue was resolved, he told me to go ahead and download SP3.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 01:30:19 AM »
I may be the last soul on earth to get SP3, but my automatic updates finally put it on my computer today.

For what it's worth, I still have Windows '98.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:24:06 AM »
We still have Windows 98 at the office.  We cannot run a particular DOS program on XP or Vista.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »
I've been wary about downloading MS SP3, but I have to manually close out of a box that comes up prompting me to install it every time I startup my computer.  That is really annoying.  I still don't know what to do - it seems like there is always going to be someone who has problems with any new upgrade.

My other question is whether to upgrade my Mozilla Firefox to version 3.0.  Currently I have 2.0 or 2. something.  I did a search on the Internet and found several horror stories ... people having to go back to an earlier version. One thing the 3.0 version did for someone was that plugins didn't work (I don't really understand what those are anyway), and they had to update IE because it wouldn;t work. with Mozilla 3.0.  A lot of headaches for some people.

[hall2_undecided]
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 04:07:14 AM »
I was mistaken about what message I get every time I start up my computer.  It's not for SP3, which I think I did install.  It's for Dell Support Center 2.0.  From what I've read about it, I don't think it would be of much use to me, and there are some nefarious aspects to it.  But there's no way to get rid of that prompt window permanently.

What is annoying me now from Microfsoft is a prompt to install "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification."  That sounds completely useless to me ... but there's no way to get rid of the notification unless I install the damn thing.

Any thoughts on "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification", Mozilla 3.0, or Dell Support Center 2.0?

Thanks,

Philippe
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:46:44 AM »
My computer is a 2003 Sony with Windows XP. The other day I started to download the SP3 and when I realized how long it was going to take, I canceled the download. I'm glad I did, because now I don't trust it.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »
Will SP3 work on a computer that uses XP??  Will it automatically dl to a computer?  I am happy with XP.....does anyone recommend I dl it?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 02:11:34 PM »
I have Windows XP. I tried to download SP3 twice. Both times, it did to me what it did to Jimbo. I had to call a computer geek friend of mine in order to get my computer back. It would not reboot. I then had to do a system restore. I will not be downloading it. The reason I tried it a second time was, my friend assured me it should be OK, that he had downloaded it with no problems and that it was "important" to do so. When the second download [ghost_mad] [ghost_mad] resulted in disaster yet again, I decided I didn't care how important it was supposed to be. After all, is it more important to have a working computer, or more important to do an update that just won't work?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
adamsgirl I feel your pain and Taeylor Collins I wish you the best of luck. Yes it should work because I also have XP. I think if you are going to attempt this download I recommend that you temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus protection or whatever that may block the download and certainly save any important emails or files (not that I am a computer geek in the wildest imagination). Now I hear there is an IE8 that is available to install. I think I will pass on that download; IE7 is good enough although I am getting a lot of those ignoring hanging applications where the screen freezes and you have to get out of IE7 but that is another issue.