Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0545  (Read 1808 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0545
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0545
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 09:46:29 AM »
It's great to see Roger again.  I wish we had seen more of him.

When Nicholas arrived at Collinwood, he told Cassandra to get on with the job of re-cursing Barnabas.  And now he has changed his mind and tells her to get rid of her obsession with re-cursing Barnabas.  It's a good thing, however, that Cassandra didn't point out to Nicholas that he was as changeable as the wind, because he would have surely taken great pleasure in devising for her some punishment for sassing him.

And does Cassandra really think she'll be able to keep Nicholas from knowing that it was she who whacked Adam?  Yes, of course she does, nitwit that she is.

We have finally arrived at the point where Nicholas starts corrupting Adam.  And Adam was certainly ripe for the corrupting!  I've done some thinking about the teaching of ethics to children since Adam was brought to life - although "thinking" may be the wrong word, because I did not have any useful thoughts.  I guess the real problem is that there was so little time.  When you raise a child (something I've never done), you have several years to teach him about right and wrong, and how to deal with various types of people, but with Adam there was a window of only a few weeks.  And now Nicholas is closing that window.

The interaction between Nicholas and Carolyn was interesting.  Although Nicholas had angered Carolyn, he then did her a favor, and came across as a perfect gentleman.  It's the thin end of the wedge.  Give Nicholas time, and he'll have Carolyn eating out of his hand and saying, "You're right, I don't need my soul...what do you think I could get for it on Ebay?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 03:40:07 AM »
I think creating confusion in the other person's mind might be a key strategy in winning that person over.    Maybe it works to keep presenting contradictory information about yourself, so that the other person's critical faculties get confused and can't resolve the confusion, and unconsciously throw up their hands in frustration, and give up.    No judgment can be made.   

Nick seems so sure of himself, though, that Carolyn unconsciously turns to him to judge himself, for her.    She trusts him, because she doesn't trust herself so much, at least not after Nicholas's tactics.   I don't remember at all if this is what happens in the storyline;  I'm just thinking out loud here, about how the nastier people amongst us might influence others.   

I really think that some mild form of actual hypnotism might be going on every day, in everyday personal interactions.    We think of "hypnotism" as some sort of mysterious magic spell, or something, but it may be going on all the time, in subtle hidden ways, without our realizing it, not even those performing it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »
But if Nicholas is hypnotizing Carolyn in subtle, little-known ways, wouldn't that be [gasp!] cheating?

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:55:37 AM »
I repeat, it sure is neat that Nicholas can "appear" anyplace he wants! Adam turned around to get a book, and there was Nicholas! [shkdg]

Nicholas was very good at manipulating people and persuading them to think the way he wanted them to. I think there was a bit of hypnotism involved! [winkg]

This was the beginning of Adam's becoming obnoxious. It's a shame that Nicholas corrupted him. [ghost_angry]

It was sweet of Adam to come to Carolyn's room to tell her about Nicholas. (By the way, I love Carolyn's nightgown and robe!) [ghost_happy]

When Carolyn told Adam that she would handle Nicholas, for a moment, I feared for her life. [ghost_shocked] She didn't know who she was dealing with. Nicholas was a very dangerous and powerful man. I'm relieved that Nicholas didn't do anything to her except talk in his charming way. [whew]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
But if Nicholas is hypnotizing Carolyn in subtle, little-known ways, wouldn't that be [gasp!] cheating?

Yes, he might actually be lowering himself to the kind of cheating that regular humans do amongst themselves every day... he might consider that too banal....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 02:25:29 AM »
(By the way, I love Carolyn's nightgown and robe!) [ghost_happy]

Me too!   [ghost_happy]

Everytime I watch Roger and Cassandra in their scenes here, I want so much for him to ask, "What in blazes are you doing in my ex-wife's clothes?!"

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:08:01 AM »
Everytime I watch Roger and Cassandra in their scenes here, I want so much for him to ask, "What in blazes are you doing in my ex-wife's clothes?!"

[ghost_cheesy] [lghy] [laughing1] [lol2] [lol3] [ghost_grin]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 07:43:55 PM »
Whoa! I never noticed that about Laura and Cassandra wearing the same nightgown before.  [ghost_blink]

Roger not only marries two women with supernatural powers but also with the same taste in clothes apparently. I love it.

If Roger ever married again, I like to think he'd ask his future wife if she had a black nightgown and robe that he should know about....in additon to any 'unusual' gifts, so to speak. [ghost_tongue2]

I think the reason Nicholas was quite the charmer with Carolyn was she hasn't really done anything to make him mad. Plus she is Adam's protector, and if Nicholas wants to get on with Adam, he can't afford to alienate Carolyn, the woman Adam loves.

How dumb of Cassandra to think Nicholas would NOT find out she was the one who killed Adam, simply because she used an axe and not her powers. Of course Nicholas would know she did it! I guess she's just so anxious to return the vampire curse to Barnabas she isn't thinking clearly.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 08:12:18 PM »
I think that knowing for an absolute fact that she has no control drives her so nuts that she can't think straight.   It's an intolerab;e thought.   Some situations fill one's head with exclamation points to the point where thinking is impossible.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 12:08:09 AM »
I don't think she brought the ax into the room.  I wonder why Harry didn't use that
on Adam or the other way around.  I know that I am being technical here, but have
you ever wondered why everything that was needed was always at hand.

They also keep many swords around the house on the wall.  The same swords that are
on the wall in the drawing room, are also in the hallway.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:26:10 AM »
Yes, I wondered about that axe, too.  Maybe there was some witchcraft there.