Author Topic: "lemon or cream?"  (Read 3465 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
"lemon or cream?"
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:00:58 PM »
i was watching some early 1968 episodes.

there was a scene in which maggie evans comes to collinwood to see vicki and is greeted at the door by the new mrs.roger collins...who is of course duly stunned by miss evans' resemblance to her former mistress.

so anyways maggie enters the foyer(daintily removing white kid gloves mind you!),is briefly made uncomfortable by cassandra's incessant staring(you know that look),is then joined by vicki and the two retreat to the drawing room.cut to commercial...

when we return vicki is pouring tea.she inquires to a distracted maggie if she'd like "lemon or cream?" with her tea.
because,you know,here are these two refined young ladies with bows in their hair sipping cream tea.one of whom had quite recently spent several weeks enslaved by a vampire,the other sent two hundred years into the past where she was hanged for witchcraft,meanwhile there's a witch skulking around just outside the drawing room doors who wants to drive them both insane with a dream.

this scene reminded me of why i love this show.dan curtis and the writers made a wise move in tethering all of this insanity to the day-to-day lives of an upper class family and their friends and servants.it's what makes it so distinctive.it could have easily devolved into a 'monster show'(and it sometimes came close)but with scenes like this it comes very close to the top without ever truly going over it.

"lemon or cream miss evans?" "cream and thank you miss winters." love it!

i also was paying some attention to the shoes of all three ladies during this exchange.as usual it was a low,squat heel with a squared-off toe.the kind of shoe that makes some here seeth with rage(wink*midnite).but are they really that bad?i wasn't around so the fashions hold a certain novelty for me but are the shoes really that ugly?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: "lemon or cream?"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:09:17 PM »
"lemon or cream miss evans?" "cream and thank you miss winters." love it!

It could almost come out of a Jane Austen novel. And as we all know, without tea we're truly savages. [ghost_grin]

I actually prefer milk in my tea - but that's the englishman in me...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:23:54 AM »
Did Maggie ever go back to working at the coffeeshop after the fuss about her kidnapping died down?  Maybe it felt pretty good to her to be served by somebody else.

As for the shoes...unlike Midnite, I'm OK with squat heels.  High heels look uncomfortable, and flats aren't flattering to the legs.  I myself wear flats - when I can't get away with running shoes, that is - because even low heels are too much trouble.  Except at weddings.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:19:36 PM »
i also was paying some attention to the shoes of all three ladies during this exchange.as usual it was a low,squat heel with a squared-off toe.the kind of shoe that makes some here seeth with rage(wink*midnite).but are they really that bad?i wasn't around so the fashions hold a certain novelty for me but are the shoes really that ugly?

Well, I wouldn't have been caught dead in Vicki's shoes.

I remember the square toes and chunky heels being fashionable, and I like Maggie's shoes in that scene-- shiny with a slightly higher heel and very stylish for 1968.  The plain white was conservative compared to the bright colors and adornments we wore back then, but how often were we dropping by the mansion for tea?  If you were like me, not too often.  Okay, never.

I grew up in a beach town so we also wore sandals a lot.

Granted, Vicki didn't wear loud colors, but if she had to wear plain pumps, how about red patents with that navy dress, or a combination of red and blue?  Anything but black, and a heel that's not less than an inch, please.  But my guess is the goal was to avoid unwanted attention as much as possible, as Alexandra occasionally had the misfortune of standing with legs apart.  Sorry.

I can't remember Cassandra's shoes in that scene.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »
Can you imagine running across the sets in heals?? I personally can't wear high heels.
I am a waffle stompers and sketters or clogs.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »
I guess it is different of Vicki to be pouring tea, instead of brandy or burbon.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 04:14:57 AM »
And besides, it's questionable whether straight brandy and lemon would go all that well together.  [sour]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »
Lemon curry?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »
It would be so appropriate as a female guest to be served tea or coffee in the drawing room.  I'm sure Vicki was called upon to serve tea to the guests on occasion and she probably felt special being asked to do so by Liz.   [ghost_happy]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 09:30:47 PM »
Granted, Vicki didn't wear loud colors, but if she had to wear plain pumps, how about red patents with that navy dress, or a combination of red and blue?
If you believe Carson on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, red shoes are for children and whores. I like to point that out to my mother and my sister whenever they wear them.  [ghost_cheesy]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »
Umm - should you really be publicly admitting that your mother and sister are whores?  [ghost_huh]

(Well, IF we believe Carson.  [ghost_cheesy])

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »
It would be so appropriate as a female guest to be served tea or coffee in the drawing room.  I'm sure Vicki was called upon to serve tea to the guests on occasion and she probably felt special being asked to do so by Liz.   [ghost_happy]

as outrageous as the show became plotwise it was nothing if not always observant of the social niceties.

i always like scenes between alexandra and kathryn.they seemed like real friends.

back to those shoes...it was invariably that squat heel.the show's costumers ignored some of the more outre' fashions of the late 1960's like textured stockings and white 'go-go' boots.it was always a sheer worn with that shoe.in this way the girls were a bit 'square'.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »
in this way the girls were a bit 'square'.

Or one could simply look at it as they were always classically attired as opposed to falling for the latest fashion craze.  [ghost_wink]

(And at least Maggie had the good sense to only wear that quilted thing in the privacy of her cottage.  [ghost_grin])

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
so true mysterious...

i've always been appreciative of the show's costuming(tweed suits,ugly shoes and all).as i opened this post that maggie arrived in kid gloves was so creamy.

but i do think that as an afternoon drama,with advertisers of such housewife friendly products as toothpaste and laundry detergent,the producers made a decision to attire the girls like proper young ladies rather than 'hippies' or members of the counter culture percolating at the time.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 10:58:13 PM »
Umm - should you really be publicly admitting that your mother and sister are whores?  [ghost_huh]

(Well, IF we believe Carson.  [ghost_cheesy])
If the shoe fits . . .  . People who can't take as well as dish out sarcastic humor and insults have no place in our family.[ghost_wink]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)