Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0543  (Read 1619 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0543
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0543
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:05:01 AM »
Carolyn's in a mess, and I would feel sorry for her if she hadn't created that mess herself pretty much singlehandedly.  She's had an eyewitness view of Adam's potential for violence, and in her position I would say, "Enough.  Time to turn Adam over to the police and hope that my Collins influence will keep me out of jail."  Instead she tells Adam it's wrong to kill.  It's nice to see Adam getting some instruction in ethics, but at this point it's a bit late.  Adam didn't ask her, "If it's wrong to kill, then how come Barnabas was going to kill me?  How come Harry was going to kill me?"  He's seen a lot of confusing things in his life.  Right now he's more than Carolyn can handle - as we can see from the fact that she didn't sit down with Adam and explain a few things to him when he tried to kiss her.  She just gave him the old "Can't we still be friends?" routine.  She needs Barnabas to tell her what a disaster that can turn into.

As for Harry...chauffeur?  Isn't somebody going to get suspicious when Harry never does any actual driving of the Collins cars?  Oh, well, maybe he'll drive Roger to work every day and Roger can sit in the back seat drinking brandy out of a flask and pretending that he's in a limousine.  By the way, I liked Craig Slocum better today than I did yesterday.

I hope to be cremated when I die, and watching Dark Shadows confirms me in this plan.  Golly, the dead never get a minute to themselves around Collinsport!  Except for Jason McGuire, and that's only because very few people know that he's dead.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:33:05 AM »
It's a shame that Carolyn wasn't taking the time to explain things more thoroughly to Adam. He was pretty confused by the whole thing. [ghost_huh] This was the first time Carolyn was able to stop Adam from killing someone. [milestone] Actually, I wouldn't blame Adam for killing Harry. It would have been self defense. Carolyn didn't even bother to explain that to him. [ghost_nowink]

Cassandra was a very willful woman. [ghost_mad] Unfortunately, Nicholas was much more powerful than her.  [ghost_sad] As much as she wanted the curse to continue, Nicholas would get his way. I found it refreshing that Cassandra was weak and controlled by Nicholas. [ghost_tongue2] I think this whole power thing with Cassandra/Angelique and Nicholas was the beginning of Angelique being a more sympathetic character. [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:47:15 AM »
I think most of the bad things that happen to people on television happen because one character just doesn't bother to explain something important to another character.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 07:33:37 AM »
I found it refreshing that Cassandra was weak and controlled by Nicholas.

I was just the opposite.  As much as I usually hated Angelique and wanted them to be able to "get" her, I really hated it when Nicholas was able to be so superior to her and "somewhat" control her. 

[spoiler]I really loved it when she finally managed to "get" HIM!![/spoiler]
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 06:50:42 PM »
Instead she tells Adam it's wrong to kill.  It's nice to see Adam getting some instruction in ethics, but at this point it's a bit late.  Adam didn't ask her, "If it's wrong to kill, then how come Barnabas was going to kill me?  How come Harry was going to kill me?"

Then Carolyn could tell him they were wrong.  What parent (or teacher) hasn't come across the situation where they are explaining that something is wrong to a child who answers, "But so-and-so does it"?  For parents that argument is irrelevant because it's their job to set moral standards for the child regardless of what her or his peers might be doing.  And Adam is nothing if not an over-sized child.  Hey, B & J and Carolyn, nobody says parenting is easy.

Who here, when you were growing up, has heard, "If Jenny/Tommy jumped off a cliff, would you do it too"?  I'd love to hear my mother say THAT to Adam, who has, you know, actually jumped off one.  [ghost_wink]

He's seen a lot of confusing things in his life.

Poor Adam.  Another crazy part in this situation is that Adam HAS killed someone.  (I know several here disagree over who is responsible for Sam's demise, but Adam believes himself responsible for his friend's death, and other characters on the show have often placed the blame squarely on Adam's big shoulders.)  But how does Carolyn deal with it?  Does she tell Adam that he has to turn himself into the police, confess to what he did, and accept punishment for it?  Does she or anyone else encourage him to talk about what happened, to express his remorse, or to apologize to Sam's loved ones?  No and no.  Instead, the lesson seems to be that killing another person is wrong, but if you do it we will hide you away, sneak you food, continue your education in private, and avoid talking about the incident as much as possible.

BTW, I don't think killing Harry could have been considered self-defense.  Once Adam completely disarmed him, harming him was not justified by the law since Adam was no longer in imminent danger, and it would not have been morally right to kill him either.

I hope to be cremated when I die, and watching Dark Shadows confirms me in this plan.  Golly, the dead never get a minute to themselves around Collinsport!  Except for Jason McGuire, and that's only because very few people know that he's dead.

Har!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »
Who here, when you were growing up, has heard, "If Jenny/Tommy jumped off a cliff, would you do it too"?  I'd love to hear my mother say THAT to Adam, who has, you know, actually jumped off one.  [ghost_wink]

I've never thought of that incident in those terms. I LOVE it! And can't you just see some poor mother in Collinsport trying to use that logic on her child and having them come back with, "But Adam jumped off a cliff, mom, and nothing bad happened to him, so I don't understand your point." Just how DOES mom come back after THAT one?!  [lghy]

Thank heavens Collinsport isn't by any means typical!  [b003]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 07:30:51 PM »
Oh, I'm sure jumping off that cliff hurt quite a bit..... oh, look, the ocean!  Pretty rocks!    It's coming at me very fast, to make friends with me.... OW!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »
Harry was a real creep in here. He deceives Adam into thinking he was Carolyn's 'friend' there to help him, then he threatens him with a knife and is determined to turn him over to the sheriff. I don't blame Adam for wanting to kill Harry. Legally, it would have been wrong, but basically speaking, Harry was just asking for it.

In additon to being a jerk, Harry was also stupid. That little knife of his was pathetic. I mean Harry had to have heard about Adam's super-human strength. I mean Joe Haskell hadn't been able to handle Adam with a large gun, so what made Harry think a pocketknife was going to do the trick?

I agree Carolyn really should have explained things a bit better to Adam. By telling Adam she didn't care what Harry was trying to do, it must have sounded like to him that it was okay for people to hurt him, to abuse him, but not all right for him to defend himself.

Cassandra/Angelique deserved to get pushed around by Nicholas. She's been playing around with other people, torturing them, tormenting them, that she needed to be put in her place. I do agree though that [spoiler] her stabbing him in the back by telling on him to Diabolos is great to watch and very satisfying. [/spoiler]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 06:49:36 AM »
Yea, Harry would have been a whole lot smarter in going to the police and bringing them back with him to arrest Adam. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 08:07:04 PM »
But where would the fun have been in that? It was much more fun to see Harry act like a jerk and then have to pay for it.  [ghost_wink]  (And we might be able to blame the water here, too.  [ghost_grin])

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »
I kept wondering why Angelique kept the tape player in the drawing room. What if someone
else came and heard it?

Who was running the house, Carolyn of Cassandra?

Hasn't it been Angelique's problem that she always wanted things to happen her way.  But
then so did Nicholas and the Devil, his boss.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate