Author Topic: Do You Recall Which Theatres You First Saw HODS and NODS?  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Recall Which Theatres You First Saw HODS and NODS?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »
Welcome, Master Tad Collins!  Your secret is safe with us.   [ghost_grin]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
I also first saw HODS and NODS as a double feature on TBS in the 80s.  I was really excited to finally be able to watch them.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Master Tad Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »
Welcome, Master Tad Collins!  Your secret is safe with us.   [ghost_grin]

Thanks Midnite. I promise we're on only during breaks... [ghost_embarrassed]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »
Welcome, Master Tad!!  How nice that you can share this with a co-worker!!
Josette

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
Welcome, Master Tad Collins!  I won't tell your boss if you won't tell mine...though I imagine my boss's response would be, "You ought to see this web site that I found!"

I still haven't seen either HODS or NODS.

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »
OK, everyone is coming clean now about accessing this site while at work. I refuse to admit it, really I do... In the meantime, I saw NODS for the first time at a DS festival. I saw HODS on TV in the early 80s.
Sally
Sally Collins

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 05:33:52 PM »
I saw HoDS at the 220 Drive-in Theater, in Martinsville, VA, on its first run (I saw countless monster movies at this drive-in, long since plowed under). At the same drive-in, I saw NoDS when it came out. In 1973, the movies came to the Rives Theater as a weekend double-feature, and at the matinee I attended, the theater was so full of noisy kids that you couldn't hear a word of dialogue in either film. Partway through NoDS, the management ran a reel that showed a stern-faced gentleman in a suit exhorting the audience to be quiet ("This is what -you- sound like," he says, to the backdrop of a bunch of screaming kids), but to no avail. Several youngsters I knew were in the audience, so I made a point of hating their freaking guts for the rest of the way through high school. I eventually decided to forgive them their trespasses, but that doesn't mean I'd ever go to a movie with any of them.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 01:15:07 AM »
Another topic answered late!   

Commisserations to David on the loss of the Marlboro theater. Thank goodness for that site you provided the link to -- I've found a few of our late great local movie palaces on there as well.

I saw both movies at a real old movie palace: The Loew's Paradise on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx.   It was built in the 20s, with all the marble, decorations and ornamentation of that era.  It also doubled as a vaudeville house. Fortunately, after being chopped into a triplex, then shuttered for at least the last ten years, it has finally reopened,fully restored. Who cares that its now BOXING that's held there -- its a classic movie palace that now has a new lease on life!

I don't remember a lot about seeing the movies, except that both times I walked there with my grandmother. HODS didn't thrill me (and doesn't to this day) because Julia was changed into such a lovesick moron.

NODS I remember,and after knowing now about two different versions released, I KNOW I must have seen the more adult of the two. I remember sitting there with my reserved English grandmother (born 1900) and squirming in embarrassment over the VERY LONG (longer than I remember,and with more dialog than I remember from seeing the vhs release) scene in bed where Quentin is mauling Tracy.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 02:01:26 AM »
Of course, there were no DS theater screenings for someone my age and in my location. I halfway watched a VHS of NoDS from a local video rental place a few years ago and I saw HoDS via digital rental on Amazon Unbox.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 03:02:03 AM »
For anyone here who has not seen HoDS, it is on youtube - the entire movie.  It is in, of course, segments, so when one segment is done you have to click on to the next.  At least you get to see it.  I re-watched the original version of Dawn of the Dead, the one made in the late seventies, that way.  That was the first time since I originally saw it when it came out in movie theaters.  I really enjoyed it, because when I moved to Pittsburgh, PA in the mid-eighties, I often went to the mall where it had been filmed.  (DotD, not HoDS, although a DS movie set in a mall would be interesting, to say the least).

Gerard  (Who's right now reading Stephen King's Cell, a novel about how cellphones have turned users into murderous zombies, ala night-of-the-living-dead, which I'm also immensely enjoying because I absolutely, positively hate and detest cellphones; I had one and when the contract ran out I got rid of it and have never looked back and am doing just fine without one.  [Stephen King has stated he also hates them and doesn't have one - so there.  {Grrrrllllllloowwww!  - a murderous phone-crazy, as they're called in the novel, coming after you!}])

David

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 03:08:35 AM »
I  think watching HODS on You Tube would be OK, as long as the print was good.
The chapter interuptions would be no different than watching commercial television.

David
who can no longer do business without his cell phone

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 04:15:02 AM »
The clarity is actually very good, David!  If someone has one of those wide-screen computer screens, it's fantastic.  I downloaded the scene where Barnabas arrives at Collinwood just for the heck of it.  And get rid of that cellphone!  My hatred for them climaxed when I was at the movies (I think it was Cloverfield) while, trying to enjoy the movie, suddenly - FLASH! - someone opened their cellphone to check whatever the heck they needed in their addictive obsession to check.  Minutes later - FLASH! - another one did it.  And the another one.  And then another one.  Fed up, I shouted as loud as I could:  "If you people don't have a life beyond those intrusive boxes, then stay at home."  I got a round of applause for it.  Afterwards, I asked if the manager was in.  He was and I told him he needs to ban anyone from bringing those annoying gadgets into the theater.  He said cellphone use is already prohibited and people are instructed to shut off the ringers.  I said it's not enough - they can't help but keep checking them every 42 seconds and it disrupts us who paid money to see a movie.  "Good point," he said.  Maybe I've started something.

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 04:25:33 AM »
I saw both at the Capitol Theater (and when I saw NODS, I got to see HODS again, since they ran as a double-feature - remember when they still had double features? - the one for HODS was a western).

I never got to experince DOUBLE FEATURES until GRINDHOUSE last year and I loved it the movies and the double feature feel.  It was just so fun and great to see a double feature.  I saw NODS and HODS on tv for the first time.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

David

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 04:26:06 AM »
 [ghost_smiley]

OMG, Gerard!
You are so right about cell phones in theatres.
I do shut mine off at the movies!

David

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 04:28:26 AM »
Also welcome Breebell and Master Tad!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/