Author Topic: The DS Novel That Wasn't...The Labyrinth of Souls, pt 2  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
The DS Novel That Wasn't...The Labyrinth of Souls, pt 2
« on: June 02, 2002, 10:43:00 AM »
OK, for those who've been waiting with bated breath (or not), here's the next chapter of Dark Shadows: The Labyrinth. For the moment, part 1 is still up, but I'll have to be removing it shortly since my Web space is just about at its limit.

http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth02.htm

Hope you enjoy.

[shadow=red,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: The DS Novel That Wasn't...The Labyrinth of Souls, pt 2
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2002, 05:10:18 PM »
Thanks Mark can't wait for chapter 3 :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2002, 09:03:52 PM »
I must compliment you on the mood that you set with Carolyn being summoned by Barnabas, her entrance at the Old House and their macabre dance of death and rejuvenation.  It was eerie!!

Nice touch with the liquid candles--I remember those on our Xmas trees.  Tarrytown struck a note as well since I went to nursing school in Valhalla which is right next door.  

Great job all around. Waiting for Chapter 3.

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2002, 10:11:46 PM »
I'm printing off each chapter and I'm gonna wait until all the chapters which have been completed are on-line and printed off before I read them.  I shall do so only then because such a joyous endeavor can only be done with a Skyy Blue martini (Skyy vodka with caracao poured sipped from a really neat art deco martini glass that I have).  Two chapters now printed off, waiting for number three, neatly stacked.

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2002, 12:00:49 AM »
I'm printing off each chapter and I'm gonna wait until all the chapters which have been completed are on-line and printed off before I read them.  I shall do so only then because such a joyous endeavor can only be done with a Skyy Blue martini (Skyy vodka with caracao poured sipped from a really neat art deco martini glass that I have).  Two chapters now printed off, waiting for number three, neatly stacked.

Wow Gerard such discipline! I can't wait that long
Yes i never open my Christmas presents on Christmas
always days before too!

jennifer
i love the sound of that drink!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2002, 12:15:50 AM »

Gerard -- You shall receive the final installment only when you have forked over one of those drinks for the author's pleasure. You done flung a craving on me. ;)

[shadow=maroon,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2002, 12:31:06 AM »

Gerard -- You shall receive the final installment only when you have forked over one of those drinks for the author's pleasure. You done flung a craving on me. ;)

I can also make a fantastic gin martini (Bombay, of course, kept in the freezer), Mark.  Very, very dry.  You wave the vermouth over it and allow the fumes to just glance against the sides of the glass - Roger Collins couldn't do it better.  Of course, I shall pour you one of those ONLY when you've totally completed the novel.  Until then, you'll hafta make do with Gatorade.  Now hurry up with that third chapter - my art deco glass is begging for use, and you'll be able to enjoy one of my Skyy Blues.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2002, 07:39:20 PM »
Loved EVERYTHING in your 2 chapters, Mark!  We've heard promises of a new novel centering on Quentin for so long, so thank you for giving us one at last!  It's also good to see Julia figuring prominently, at least so far; it's hard to imagine anything happening at Collinwood during that time period without her involvement.

Looking forward to more! :D

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2002, 07:46:23 PM »

I can also make a fantastic gin martini (Bombay, of course, kept in the freezer), Mark.  Very, very dry.  You wave the vermouth over it and allow the fumes to just glance against the sides of the glass - Roger Collins couldn't do it better.  Of course, I shall pour you one of those ONLY when you've totally completed the novel.  Until then, you'll hafta make do with Gatorade.  Now hurry up with that third chapter - my art deco glass is begging for use, and you'll be able to enjoy one of my Skyy Blues.

Gerard

Calling Dr Bombay ;D ;D ;D

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2002, 10:16:38 PM »
Sensational, Mark!  Again, thanks for sharing it with us.

Franimal

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2002, 11:14:29 PM »
This is fantastic!  Can't wait for chapter 3.  Thanks for sharing this with us.  

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2002, 03:17:42 AM »
Mark
I read both chapters today (at work) I am so naughty!!! ;D
I loved the mood and the pace you have set. MORE!!!!
Who are these shirts who rejected this book!!!! Lets gang up on them and have some one put the bite on them....
Keep it up!
Say will you be at the Fest? and if so will you autograph your book Dream of the Dark for me? :-*
Ldyanne!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2002, 06:11:48 AM »
I read both chapters today (at work) I am so naughty!!!  I loved the mood and the pace you have set. MORE!!!! Who are these shirts who rejected this book!!!! Lets gang up on them and have some one put the bite on them.... Keep it up! Say will you be at the Fest? and if so will you autograph your book Dream of the Dark for me?

Yep, yer naughty, Ldyanne. Keep it up. ;)

This novel was not rejected; the DS book series itself was cancelled by HarperCollins, and no other publisher made a commitment to pick it up (with the possible exception of Tor, but even that has so far failed to produce any results). The editor at Harper knew about the proposal for Labyrinth, and since we worked well together on Dreams of the Dark, there's every possibility this one would have been accepted. But that became a moot point when Harper was bought out, the DS series (and several others) cancelled, and the editor moved elsewhere.

If time allows, I might one day complete Labyrinth as a work of fan fiction, but I have to put priority on paying projects, since writing is, in a very real sense, a job. Fortunately, it's not my only source of income, or I would be starving ;D; but time being such a limited commodity, it's business first, fun second. The best thing about writing part-time is that the two often go together.

Alas, no festival for me this year. Now that the young'un is out of college and paying her own bills (mostly), Peg and I are planning to go on a cruise to the Bahamas and Mexico later in the year. That's going to eat up the travel budget for quite some time. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. ;)

Hoping to get to the fest and/or Tarrytown next year, though.

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2002, 04:43:50 PM »
I'm printing this out to read as well.  The refreshment suggestions to go along with reading sound very appealing!  I'm enjoying this story so much that I've ordered a copy of Dreams of the Dark.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2002, 08:37:31 PM »
Mark:

These chapters are wonderful work.  Really quite good. I thought the second one was just a bit better than the first because the mood was so sustained and focused.  The first one dragged a bit for the first 4 pages (forgive my bluntness--I'm rapidly turning into a crotchety old New England curmudgeon).  Great writing for Julia, btw, and that's not a compliment I pass out readily.

Too bad the series was canceled.  You've really got me wondering just where this story would have led.  Haven't a clue at the moment! Thanks for sharing the bit that did get written.  That's such a generous gesture on your part.  I figure since you are putting these up on the Net, it means it's highly unlikely you will ever write anymore.

I hope you and your wife enjoy your cruise.  It sounds very romantic.

Best wishes,

Steve