Author Topic: Early songs in The Blue Whale  (Read 3009 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Early songs in The Blue Whale
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 05:05:52 AM »
TV shows then always depicted kids as listening and dancing to early-60s type surf-guitar-ish instrumentals all the way through the 60s, when that was hopelessly out of date by 1965 or so.    My latest thought on why they did that is that records with vocals would interfere with our hearing the dialogue.

Good point, also might have been that hack guitarists willing to lay down some surf were a dime a dozen in the 60s. I think the premiere of Doctor Who featured his grand-daughter or some other school kid with a transistor radio gyrating to some surf guitar  -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Early songs in The Blue Whale
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »
Good point, also might have been that hack guitarists willing to lay down some surf were a dime a dozen in the 60s. I think the premiere of Doctor Who featured his grand-daughter or some other school kid with a transistor radio gyrating to some surf guitar  -

Good point also-- all those guys who learned that style hoping to make a career from it must have had trouble working after the Beatles came.    Doctor Who: "An Unearthly Child"... that was 1963... wasn't surf guitar still hanging on?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor