Author Topic: Early songs in The Blue Whale  (Read 3008 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Early songs in The Blue Whale
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »
In the first year of the show many of the songs heard in the Blue Whale were not by Robert Cobert. Can you all remember the titles and/artist who did them? I just found "What do you do with a drunken sailor" at i-tunes and downloaded it. That made me want to see how many of those early I can find. So I'd be greatful for any help that you all can give.
May you die before you want too.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Early songs in The Blue Whale
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
There was an instrumental version of a Beatles song in the background at the Blue Whale in one of the early episodes.  The tune might have been 'Yesterday' but I'm not sure.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

David

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:06:58 PM »
I recall hearing The Love Theme From A Man & A Woman (actual hit singles version) and an instrumental of Willow Weep For Me, a tune recorded by Sinatra, Billie Holiday, & many others.

Did I also hear The Windmills of Your Mind?

David

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:11:08 PM »
Thanks for your responses. I found versions of each of those, put them together with Blue Whale songs from the soundtrack and a few others to create a "Blue Whale" album on my i-pod. If we should get together in somebody's room for a brandy at the fest I'll have the music. [ghost_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
There was an instrumental version of a Beatles song in the background at the Blue Whale in one of the early episodes.  The tune might have been 'Yesterday' but I'm not sure.

Also "Michelle."

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 06:45:28 AM »
Believe it or not but the song that is included in the DS 30th anniversary CD, track 15 titled "Joanna" is the "Love Theme From A Man And A Woman" as preformed by Bob Cobert.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »
I take it that these songs aren't subject to the copyright law, which has cause several TV shows to changes songs for their DVD release, or is it just the original version of the song that law applies to?

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:53:27 PM »
I wished they would have played songs from "The Doors" and "Jefferson Airplane" at the Blue Whale.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
I take it that these songs aren't subject to the copyright law, which has cause several TV shows to changes songs for their DVD release, or is it just the original version of the song that law applies to?

When the show was made has alot to do with it. No one thought DS would ever be seen after it's original air date. It something that wasn't addressed at the time for the most part. Now evertime a show is rerun the stars get paid. Most stars from "classic TV" get nothing for reruns. I don't know when this changed but I think the same kinda thing happened with music. I think back then when they paid to use a song for a show it was believe that the show would only be seen once and reruns/video were never addressed.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »
Since Collinsport was a very secluded, off the beaten track type of town, the pace would be slower and new pop culture would take a little longer time to get a foothold in town.  In looking at Carolyn and the other kids dancing at the Blue Whale in the beginning, the style of dancing seemed somewhat dated and not very up to date.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:33:18 AM »
Believe it or not but the song that is included in the DS 30th anniversary CD, track 15 titled "Joanna" is the "Love Theme From A Man And A Woman" as preformed by Bob Cobert.

Actually, it's not. "Joanna" is an original Cobert composition, which evolved into the love theme for Night of Dark Shadows. (I can't recall off the top of my head, but it seems to me that it might be one of those that Cobert originally composed for a different movie altogether -- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, perhaps? I'm sure someone here has that information right at the forefront of his or her brain.) The theme from A Man and a Woman was composed by Francis Lai. Numerous artists have recorded it, but I don't think Cobert is one of them. At any rate, the Man and a Woman theme isn't on the 30th anniversary CD.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 01:59:19 AM »
Actually, it's not. "Joanna" is an original Cobert composition, which evolved into the love theme for Night of Dark Shadows. (I can't recall off the top of my head, but it seems to me that it might be one of those that Cobert originally composed for a different movie altogether -- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, perhaps? I'm sure someone here has that information right at the forefront of his or her brain.)

"Joanna" was written for the series so that is the piece's original name, and then it was reorchestrated for NoDS and renamed "Love Theme From Night of Dark Shadows."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 02:43:14 AM »
I wished they had played songs from "The Doors" and "Jefferson Airplane" at the Blue Whale.

TV shows then always depicted kids as listening and dancing to early-60s type surf-guitar-ish instrumentals all the way through the 60s, when that was hopelessly out of date by 1965 or so.    My latest thought on why they did that is that records with vocals would interfere with our hearing the dialogue.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »
I loved how Vicki's theme from 1966 was re-orchestrated (with cheesy lounge arrangements) for the flip side of the "Ode to Angelique" 45 and retitled ... "Missy" (!!)

I just imagine an enraged Carolyn Stoddard confronting Vicki as she's returned from another evening of burgers and intrigue at the Blue Whale with Burke Devlin, jabbing her finger at Miss Winters and snarling, "Just who do you think you ARE ... MISSY???"

Ah, one of those scenes we can imagine and recall the lines by Keats: 

Heard melodies are sweet
but those unheard are sweeter still!

cheers, G.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 08:19:40 PM »
"Joanna" is an original Cobert composition, which evolved into the love theme for Night of Dark Shadows. ... The theme from A Man and a Woman was composed by Francis Lai. Numerous artists have recorded it, but I don't think Cobert is one of them. At any rate, the Man and a Woman theme isn't on the 30th anniversary CD.

OK they may not be the same song but they are extremely close. Maybe he was inspired by "The Theme From A Man and A Woman. Either way I like them both.