Author Topic: Does a "Dark Shadows" game from 1968 have value?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Does a "Dark Shadows" game from 1968 have value?
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »
Check out the Ask the Collector column from the ocregister.com site and scroll down to the 6th question.

I guess a lot of DS fans really are fanatical when it comes to buying DS merchandise because I've seen the '68 DS game go for far more than its supposed listed value.  [ghost_smiley]

I have to admit that I'm actually a bigger fan of the DS game than I am of the Barnabas Collins DS game. Wearing the fangs might have been (and might still be) fun, but the game itself was pretty dull, which is no doubt why it's limited to ages 6 to 14, whereas the DS game is 8 to adult.

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Re: Does a "Dark Shadows" game from 1968 have value?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:43:53 AM »
Anything is possible as long as some fan is willing to pay for it.
Remember someone bought JF's old worn out slippers.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 04:46:45 AM »
There should be masters' tournaments staged at Fests, no matter how bad the games are.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:23:07 AM »
Midnite and I and a few friends were going to play the DS game in the lobby of the Westchester Marriott during the '04 Fest, but time just got away from us and it never happened. But maybe some year at some Fest...

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:36:53 AM »
Midnite and I and a few friends were going to play the DS game in the lobby of the Westchester Marriott during the '04 Fest, but time just got away from us and it never happened.
Because you couldn't be torn away from your Candyland tournament.  [ghost_grin]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 05:38:56 AM »
You've got it, MsCriseyde!  [ghost_grin]  (Though you promised not to tell.  [ghost_angry])

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:56:11 AM »
I used to like "Green Ghost", myself.   Anyone?   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:10:07 PM »
The Barnabas Collins game new and still sealed was going on ebay for about $200. Sellers of used versions always make the point about whether or not they contain the "original fangs." So I guess it's better to have fangs that were in some kid's mouth once than not.

Sally
Sally Collins

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »

OMG - I forgot that game even existed! But, yes, I played that. I have no idea what happened to the game, but I still have some of the ghost pieces around here somewhere.

And while were on the subject of childhood games, I should probably confess that I've never actually played Candyland - not in my life. I guess that's surprising to some because it was surprising to a friend that I admitted it to this past Christmas season while we were shopping and she bought an electronic version of the game for her niece. I was a Chutes and Ladders kind of boy.  [ghost_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 04:54:43 AM »
OMG - I forgot that game even existed! But, yes, I played that. I have no idea what happened to the game, but I still have some of the ghost pieces around here somewhere.

The board glowed in the dark, and you had to play in a dark room, or sometimes closet, in our case.  It was like a home version of those "haunted houses" where a neighborhood family would invite kids in and the whole house was done over for Halloween, with the kids blindfolded sometimes and asked to stick their hands into containers of mystery stuff which was meant to feel as disgusting or creepy as possible, when you didn't know what it was.   When you reached certain spots on the board, there were pockets of feathers or worms or whatever that you had to stick your hand into.

I loved Green Ghost.  I'd play it again.   The nice thing for me at my age, it has to played in the dark, so no compromising, embarrassing photos could ever be taken of me playing it at my age.   Wait, infrared photography is always a possibility....

I'm a bit off topic, but I'm done now.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »
I bought a DS board game and played it with my daughter.  She wanted to let her friends play, and I kind of cringed.  The two sides of my brain fought each other.  I forget which side controls logic, but that side said,"this game is too valuable to let kids play!  They're going to want to have drinks by it; they're not going to be careful with that paper board!" 

The emotional side said, "it's a game, a toy, FOR KIDS!  Let your daughter have fun with it!".  I told her I'd think about it. 

I took it to a copy shop and asked if they could laminate it.  They told me that they had a machine but would not do it for me. I'd have to do it myself.  They'd had bad experiences with this service; once you make a mistake, there's no turning back.   I wasn't too sure if that was what I wanted any way.  Collectibles are supposed to be in their original condition.  The game board is falling apart, but I've resisted repairing it. 

She suggested that she could copy it, full size for $3.  The only drawback, it would be in black and white.  I told her to go ahead, forgetting that you had to be able to distinguish between black and red.  We both agree that the game looks great in BW.  I had to shade in the red squares and I drew a line under the goblets and daggars to indicate their color. 

This might be an option for anyone who has resisted playing theirs or found that they worried about depreciating its value every time they use it. 

Now if we could get someone to reissue it with a redesigned board that's sturdier and and more accurately reflects DS....