Author Topic: "Angelique's Descent"  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Daphne

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
"Angelique's Descent"
« on: May 29, 2002, 06:16:37 PM »
Has anyone read "Angelique's Descent"?? I just finished it <all 515 pages! WOW didn't take me that long tho, cuz I couldn't put it down>, and I thought it was reeeeeeeeally good. It was so twisted!  :o  My mouth kept dropping open while I was reading it, and then I'd just start randomly screaming. LOL But it was really, really, really good!! For the first time, I look at 1795 and I think, "AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Poor Angelique!!!!" And now I hate Barnabus even more!! GRRRRRR! He's right up there competing with Nathan for Swine-of-the-Year! But then I have to remind myself that it's only a book, and DS is only a tv show, and I calm down.....*phew*....  I think Lara Parker is one of my new favorite authors now! I hope she writes another book, cuz I'd def read it! hehehe  ;D 8)

~Daphne
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: "Angelique's Descent"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2002, 09:48:50 PM »
I really enjoyed the novel, especially the historical sweep of it.  What I found particularly interesting was how Lara Parker presented Angelique in situations beyond her control, compelling her to do the things she did, just as the 1795/96 flashback on the series made one far more sympathetic to Barnabas, as he was the victim of circumstances as well.  

As I read the novel, when I came upon those moments dramatizing possible escapes for Angelique, I actually hoped she would succeed, even though I knew full well she would fail (otherwise, she wouldn't have become what she was).

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2002, 09:55:09 PM »
I enjoyed the book Daphne but i did like Mark's book better! 8)
I got the feeling with Angelique "Hey he dumped you MOVE ON!"though! ?!?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2002, 11:00:16 PM »
I always felt Lara Parker's take on what happened in Martinique was wrong, skewed toward Angelique (not that I'd expect less).  I never felt Barnabas told Ang he loved her or asked her to marry him.  All that took place between them was a physical affair that she took to be more than it was.

Barnabas wasn't that much of a cad.  It was accepted for men of his station to have affairs with women of hers, like it or not, and he was merely doing what the men of his era did.  He felt she surely should have known that once he was engaged, their affair would have to end, especially since she was Josette's maid!  I felt Barnabas was being quite honorable, given that Angelique essentially offered to remain his mistress after he was married, and he refused.  

Love, Robin  

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2002, 01:08:41 AM »
I enjoyed the book Daphne but i did like Mark's book better!

Just so's y'all know, I did not pay Jennifer anything for this endorsement.

((Hey Jennifer, you forgot to send me your mailing address for the check. Do you take Paypal?))

[shadow=blue,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

;D

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2002, 02:24:45 AM »
Mark, you're a hoot.  

I LOVED your book, it was wonderful.

Now where's MY check?

Love, Robin

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2002, 02:51:15 AM »

Just so's y'all know, I did not pay Jennifer anything for this endorsement.

((Hey Jennifer, you forgot to send me your mailing address for the check. Do you take Paypal?))

[shadow=blue,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Well, we all know who's gonna get the part of Victoria Winters in the movie adaptation of Mark's book, don't we?  Mmm-hmm.

By the way, Mark, I have a copy of it as well, so the next time you're having some french fries from McDonalds, just remember who made that purchase possible!

Gerard
;D

Offline elizabeth

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2002, 03:27:14 AM »
I fell so horrible.  :'(  :'( I did not like the book. But I did not finish it and plan to go back and finish it.  :)  :) I got up to the part  where Barnabas first meets Angelique,  they were both children .   It seemed to me that all it was about was Angelique getting dressed up and worshiped as a god or something.   But it seems like it does get better and I will go back to it.   Thanks for all the info on the book,  I am looking forward to give it another chance.
I must go to my room and rest.

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2002, 03:44:46 AM »
I fell so horrible.  :'(  :'( I did not like the book. But I did not finish it and plan to go back and finish it.  :)  :) I got up to the part  where Barnabas first meets Angelique,  they were both children .   It seemed to me that all it was about was Angelique getting dressed up and worshiped as a god or something.   But it seems like it does get better and I will go back to it.   Thanks for all the info on the book,  I am looking forward to give it another chance.

LOL....the beginning, I thought, was interesting, but I find all that stuff about god-worshipping and polytheistic stuff REALLY REALLY interesting, so maybe that's why. Erzulie! LOL Got me wondering if it was all true, and I think it is. How horrid! >.<;;   But it the more you read the less it revolves around that, although that's the basic foundation upon which the character was built, so that effects everything she does...but I guess that goes w/o saying, cuz that's true 4 everyone!  :-X

jennifer wrote:
I enjoyed the book Daphne but i did like Mark's book better!   8)

HEHE I plan 2 read that one next! As soon as I get some $$$  ;D

ROBINV wrote:
I always felt Lara Parker's take on what happened in Martinique was wrong, skewed toward Angelique (not that I'd expect less).  I never felt Barnabas told Ang he loved her or asked her to marry him.  All that took place between them was a physical affair that she took to be more than it was.

I never thought their relationship 2 b that indepth either. I could see him telling her he loved her, but obviously not meaning it....I didn't ever imagine he would propose to her. If he had, and I were her, and I found out he were marrying Josette, he would have been a dead man in like THREE SECONDS. But I guess you kinda can't contradict Lara Parker.....she is Angelique, rite? ;) But parts of it I thought were REALLY twisted......like Andre.

....do I put book spoilers?? LOL anyway.....

I was like ".......so they're half sisters!?????? WWWWHHHHOOOOAAAAAAA!!!!" Interweavings I'd just never thought of. That's y I liked it so much, because it was such a twisted way to fit everything 2gether, and all these ideas I'd never even thought about.  ;D ;D Books give me a buzz or something!! Whoooo....
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2002, 05:05:59 AM »
Well, we all know who's gonna get the part of Victoria Winters in the movie adaptation of Mark's book, don't we?  Mmm-hmm.

Heehee Mark I'll send you my address pronto!
and Gerard I',m trying to understand Should i grow my hair long?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2002, 06:27:04 AM »

Heehee Mark I'll send you my address pronto!
and Gerard I',m trying to understand Should i grow my hair long?

So, Jennifer, yer gonna give Gerard some competition for the part? ;)

--M

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2002, 06:51:55 AM »
I totally enjoyed Mark and Beth's book!  One of those that I toted EVERYWHERE, just couldn't put down!  And what is even better is that it introduced me to other novels/anthologies by Mark and Beth!  I encourage all of you to go to amazon.com and check out other books by Stephen Mark Rainey and Elizabeth Massie!  They are all super! A special treat for Buffy fans (as if you didn't already know ;)) Beth wrote one of the Buffy books The Power Of Persuasion.

And Mark....instead of paypal....if the book is made into a movie....I think my Vicki portrayal in Tarrytown should count as my audition! ::) ::) LOL

but seriously folks......
[/color]

Read Mark and Beth's Books!!! [read][/size][/color]

[shadow=purple,left,300]Always, Minja [read][/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2002, 04:05:58 PM »

So, Jennifer, yer gonna give Gerard some competition for the part? ;)

--M

Hey a contest! I'd rather be TLATKLS though!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2002, 07:29:13 AM »

Don't feel too bad.  I loved Mark and Elizabeth's book, but unfortunately I didn't feel the same about Angelique's Descent.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga