Author Topic: Barnabas and Sabrina Stuart  (Read 2373 times)

IluvBarnabas

Barnabas and Sabrina Stuart
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:29:51 AM »
SPOILER ALERT:

Nearing the end of the Leviathan storyline, Barnabas attacks Sabrina Stuart....she is under his power. Then he goes to Parallel Time...by the time he comes back to the regular time, she is long gone with Chris and Amy.

That always surprised me because once a victim is under the power of a vampire, they are totally in the vampire's thrall...going to them because they are "needed." Sabrina shouldn't have wanted to have gone anywhere....one would have expected her to have been waiting for Barnabas to return no matter how long he was gone.

One could make the argument that when Barnabas went into Parallel Time, his hold over Sabrina might have vanished or at least weakened, but he was still a vampire no matter where he was.

Any thoughts?

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas and Sabrina Stuart
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:21:13 AM »
I never thought about this before, but I would assume that once he's in Parallel Time, he obviously doesn't exist in "our" time any more.  If he doesn't exist, he can't have any powers over anyone.
Josette

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »
I never thought about this before, but I would assume that once he's in Parallel Time, he obviously doesn't exist in "our" time any more.  If he doesn't exist, he can't have any powers over anyone.

That is what I'm thinking. Maybe when Barnabas went to Parallel time, he lost his control over Sabrina.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:04:38 PM »
Or maybe it's possible that once a vampire "loses interest" in someone, they also lose interest.  Since he no longer had "need" of Sabrina, that psychic link was broken. 

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »
Hi Gerard,

First, a thank you for your many witty posts here.  I've lost track of how many times you've lightened an otherwise dreary day with your hysterically dry sense of humor!

Consistency is the last thing I have learned to expect on DS, but I do recall that Angelique (probably the most vicious of all DS' vampires) lost interest in Joe Haskell once Nicholas gave her permission to "visit" Barnabas (as a child, I was always intrigued by this particular euphemism on DS).  Poor Joe still craved the kiss of Ange's fangs, and we all know what her response was. 

So, I would tend to agree with other fans that once Barnabas was in Parallel Time, his power over Sabrina was either broken altogether, or weakened sufficiently that Chris was able to talk her into leaving town with himself and Amy.  I would imagine that Quentin gave them some help, practical as well as financial, given his avuncular interest in Chris towards the end of the Leviathans story.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »
Thanks Gothic!

I always wondered why, since Angie had power of Joe, and she know longer was interested in - ahem - "dating" him, and he kept pestering her, she just didn't use her vamping powers to make him leave her alone if not just forget about her.  Maybe vampires are limited in how they can use their powers.  I keep thinking of that hysterical scene in the Leslie Neilson Dracula spoof movie where he's trying to get Lucy (was it Lucy or Mina?) to do his will from a distance, but with her in her room was her maid and he kept getting his controlling "signals" crossed.  "Stand up!  No, not you - you!  You sit down.  No, you not you; you stand up!  Okay, okay, let's start over!  Now everyone sit down!"

Gerard

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »
LOL! I love that bit!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
I found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vULYUy4buw&feature=related

You know, I just can't help picturing that happening when Barnabas was stalking Maggie and Vicki was staying to keep an eye on her.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »
The controlled personality of the victim seems to depend on the personality, agenda, and attitude of the vampire.    I suppose they exercise as much or as little control as they want.   Carolyn in 1967 was mean, single-minded and calculating, Beth in 1897 was nearly uncontrolled.    I'd think that leaving our 'universe' (going to PT) would make the hold on Sabrina nonexistant, but what about when he comes back?    If a vampire leaves someone alone for years, does he/she "heal"?

Basically if Barnabas doesn't need a particular victim, it's close to her/him not being one, I guess.    Laura's hold seems to be permanent even after her 'death' but vampires are different.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:49:44 PM »
I would also tend to agree that when Barnabas "vanished" into PT, his hold over Sabrina vanished. Of course, she could've always left to go look for Barnabas, and Chris and Amy went along for the ride for whatever reason.

The power a vampire has over their victim, in the DS world anyway, I think has a lot to do with what the vampires intentions are for the victim. If the vamp bites the vic because they need a servant, than the vic will be practically a slave to the vamp's will--just like Willie was at first. If the vamp just needs a quick bite to eat, then the vic will have some loyalty to the vamp, but will not throw themselves in front of the train to get to the vamp, unless, of course, the vamp is summoning their victim. And if the vamp bites the vic in order to keep them quiet and place them under control to prevent them from spoiling some secret, then its a mix of the two.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 03:59:29 AM »
I always thought that if the vampire does not attach the victim for a extended period of time, the wounds close up and the spell is ended. There was one particular case, I can't remember which epsidode, where removing someone from the control of a vampire was a matter of removing the bite marks from their neck.

So if that's the case, Barnabas' extended abscence could be the reason ...
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 05:08:18 AM »
It could be an interesting story, though, if a victim were bitten just once, and never sees the vampire again for the rest of the vivtim's lifetime, and then she/he has to deal with being in an inbetween state for all that time, in a strange limbo.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 06:23:35 PM »
A belated welcome to the Forums, Garth Blackwood!

SPOILER for 1970 --

Didn't Sebastian Shaw, who was Roxanne's slave, basically will himself out from under her power?  She attacked his beloved Maggie, he got peeved, and the next thing you know he is poised over her coffin with a gun, intent on destroying her.

Maybe psychics are more resilient?  [ghost_wink]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 02:20:35 PM »
SPOILER for 1970 --
Maybe psychics are more resilient?  [ghost_wink]

and psychos..... [ghost_tongue2]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »
Totally a side issue, but I think any really tall person on DS seems to be a potential psycho to me, instinctively, because the sets are so cramped that I half-expect those actors to get stir-crazy.   I'm only moderately tall, but I feel a bit claustrophobic watching Quentin (or Pennock characters) getting worked up about something, without sufficient room to let off steam.