Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0499  (Read 977 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0499
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:46:47 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0499
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »
Once again Tony Peterson has me under his spell, as Cassandra has him under hers.  He doesn't make promises that he can't keep, and he doesn't make excuses for himself.

Suddenly the relationship between Tony and Carolyn is supposed to have been potentially serious.  I just don't see it.  She was the rich girl with the rich tastes, and he was the regular guy.  The idea seems to be that he would have been good for her - but what was he going to get in return that would be worth his effort?  Whatever it was, it wouldn't have been enough.  And what's this story Carolyn's telling about her perpetual bad luck with men?  Joe would have married her.  She was the one who messed up that relationship.

I have very little visual memory, but I do have this idea that Angelique's dress in the portrait is supposed to be brown, whereas after Sam aged the subject, the dress was green.  Very mysterious.  Also worth noting: the back of the original portrait is white, whereas the back of the aged portrait is brown.  Careless.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
Back then I'm sure they thought the viewers would not noticed the screw ups.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
I don't think they thought that; my impression is that they were trying very hard to avoid screw-ups - but a certain amount of them was unavoidable, given the pace of creating the show.

But if the color of the dress in the portrait changed color, that is an interesting error.  They have a portrait of a young woman in a brown dress.  For this episode, they need a portrait just like it, but with the woman old instead of young.  One assumes that somebody referred to the old portrait while creating the new one.  So if such an obvious mistake was made (and my visual memory is bad enough so that I'm still looking for confirmation from somebody else that there was in fact such a mistake) then how did it come about?  All I can figure is that the original was being used for taping on the show, so they took a photocopy - black and white, of course - of it and sent it along to the person who was to create the aged portrait.  And for some reason that person thought the dress was green instead of brown.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »
I suppose if anyone had color photocopies a network would, but I remember black and white photocopying only becoming available at our library in 1971 or so.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »
Poor Sam, that was really mean of Cassandra for her to take away his sight like that. Still, she did give him a chance to return the portrait without her having to use her powers....she should have let him see again once she got the portrait and left the cottage though.

Even though Barnabas meant no harm to Sam, he really should have known better to involve him in his plot to get rid of Angelique. I can't believe that only an artist would have the power to age it....I think anyone would have been able to age the portrait.

Wasn't Carolyn being a bit of a hypocrite making such a big deal about Tony not giving her a logical explanation about him and Cassandra being together when such a short time ago she had been unable to do the same thing when he saw her and Barnabas "smooching" through the window of the Old House?
Seems to me Carolyn should have been a bit more understanding.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »
That was particularly cruel of Cassandra to make Sam blind, and not restore his sight when she got her painting back! I really hate her! [snow_mad] The makeup job on her was pretty good; but it sorta reminded me of the makeup used on Quentin in 1897 - I thought that any minute it would peel off!  [snow_laugh] It was also rather strange to see her gorgeous legs under that coat, when she was supposed to be an incredibly old lady. [snow_cheesy]

I agree that Carolyn should have been more understanding of Tony. [snow_undecided] It's a shame that Cassandra was ruining their relationship. [snow_sad] Tony was such a stand-up guy; he wouldn't make a promise that he wasn't sure he could keep.  [snow_smiley]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]