Author Topic: Lets talk about the dumbest things the writers ever did.  (Read 16575 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Lets talk about the dumbest things the writers ever did.
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 10:40:19 PM »
Well, in the show Gabriel and Edith's children have been shipped off to boarding school. They're never shown, and hardly ever mentioned. In the 30th Anniversary of the DS Almanac, it says that Gabriel and Edith have three children, only one of whom married (all of whom are labeled as "Unknown" including the married one's spouse). The married child has Edward, Judith, Carl, and Quentin as children. So, it's possible, I would assume, that the "Thaddeus Collins" that David mentions, COULD be one of Gabriel's children.

Their ages would've been a bit wonky, but it would've worked because back then they had children at a young age.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2008, 05:39:52 AM »
There's a topic from last year that may interest you.  It begins here:
i'm doing 1840...finally
Thaddeus enters the discussion at the bottom of p. 3.

Hey thanks Midnite. I checked it out and it answered most of my questions.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2008, 05:41:50 AM »
In the 30th Anniversary of the DS Almanac, it says that Gabriel and Edith have three children, only one of whom married (all of whom are labeled as "Unknown" including the married one's spouse).

Would you might know if that 30th Anniversary DS Almanac is still avaliable?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2008, 06:29:51 AM »
The 30th Anniversary version of the Almanac is supposedly out of print. However, used and even new copies can be found for sale on places like Amazon.com:

The Dark Shadows Almanac: 30th Anniversary Tribute (Paperback)

Dark Shadows Almanac: 30th Anniversary Tribute (Hardcover)

along with the later Millennium Edition:

Dark Shadows Almanac: Millennium Edition (Paperback)

The family tree chart that Brandon refers to is included in both. However, it should be pointed out that not all the info in either version is infallible. But then, that's a shortcoming that can be said of every PomPress book. It shouldn't be the case - but it's the sad truth nonetheless.  [ghost_sad]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2008, 09:22:29 AM »
So, it's possible, I would assume, that the "Thaddeus Collins" that David mentions, COULD be one of Gabriel's children.
It had never occurred to me before that Gabriel might have named his son Tad too, and it would certainly it would fit his "If it's good enough for Quentin then by God it's good enough for me" personality.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »
I enjoyed the apparent fact that "Tad" had been mentioned before we even saw Quentin.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »
The 30th Anniversary version of the Almanac is supposedly out of print. However, used and even new copies can be found for sale on places like Amazon.com: ...

along with the later Millennium Edition: ...

The family tree chart that Brandon refers to is included in both. However, it should be pointed out that not all the info in either version is infallible. But then, that's a shortcoming that can be said of every PomPress book. It shouldn't be the case - but it's the sad truth nonetheless.  [ghost_sad]

Thanks Mysterious. I placed an order with Amazon.

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 06:28:35 AM »
This is the thing I've always wanted to know, maybe some of you can answer this for me. In the
1840 storyline, Quentin's son is Tad. But did'nt Gabriel and Edith have children, if they do, what
is their names?

I remember during 1969 when David and Amy entered the West Wing trying to find the ghost
of Quentin, Amy asked David who is the man in the painting. David said that is Thaddeus Collins
and he lived during the Civil War. Could Thaddeus be the son of Gabriel and Edith?

Thaddeus could also be the given name of "Tad." 

And speaking of the Civil War, isn't there a tombstone in the Eagle Hill Cemetery that shows a Collins who died in 1863?  A Civil War death?  I remember making a note of it (I love collecting bits and pieces of trivia for my fan fiction) but I can't remember if the tombstone said Thaddeus or not.  It's on my other computer which is apparently running in parallel time and I haven't been able to pinpoint when it phases into this time band to check my notes.

Judy
[9366]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
Re: Lets talk about the dumbest things on the show...
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2008, 06:43:02 AM »
OK.  I've finally come up with it.  In My Opinion, anyway.  I can't believe it didn't come to me before now.  Maybe because I've discounted the entire storyline as being contrived (for what purpose, I have no idea) and complete and utter nonsense.  My vote for the ULTIMATE in DUMB, the PINNACLE of ABSOLUTE DUMBNOCITY, I can sum up in TWO WORDS.

AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...AMANDA HARRIS...
OK, it wasn't so bad about the creation part, Pygmalion and all that.  And how she tries to deal with it when she finds out.  But her suddenly and completely falling in love with Q?  And he returning the favor?  No.  Sorry.  Absolutely cannot swallow that. 

In a word...EW.  In two words?  See above.

Judy
[9366] 
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2008, 11:46:43 AM »
I feel as though I'm coming out of the closet here or something, but...I don't have a problem with Amanda.  Beth was a great ghost, but I didn't like her much when she was alive, so her death didn't bother me much.  There was a wonderful moment with Quentin and Amanda in 1897, when they are alone but are interrupted by someone, and I'm thinking, "Are they going to pretend they're not an item?"  As it turned out, they made no pretense: they stood together, and for a minute or two, without touching, gave me a stronger impression of being a united couple than I remember seeing at any other time on Dark Shadows.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2008, 08:05:58 PM »
I feel as though I'm coming out of the closet here or something, but...I don't have a problem with Amanda.

You're not alone because I don't have a problem with Amanda either. Actually, I've noticed that very few, if any, men have a problem with her.  [ghost_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2008, 11:05:32 PM »
Thaddeus could also be the given name of "Tad." 

It always is, isn't it?

My only problem with Amanda is that her acting could been toned down slightly.   She was dutifully following orders, I guess....

I'm not a soap opera person, so who falls in love with whom is less important to me than whether anything dramatic or interesting is done with it.    Don't crazy romances like Q and Amanda really happen?     Don't nicer people like Beth get left behind?   Don't nice guys really finish last?

I think the idea of Q-Amanda being "eternal" and "pure" is ridiculous.    They never spent enough time together to tell.    When they get together again in 1970, they're picking up where they left off 70 years earlier, when they had "known" each other just a few weeks.     
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2008, 04:00:37 AM »
I never had a problem with Amanda when she was paired with Tim Shaw. Those two made quite a pair, both of them schemers. I really wish the writers had explored their relationship a lot more before they sicced her on Quentin.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2008, 04:06:30 AM »
I didn't really have a problem with Amanda as a character. I thought her storyline was particularly interesting, actually. But I DID have a problem with her sudden paring with Quentin after Beth's death. It was like Beth never lived, like she and Quentin never had a relationship, like she basically never existed in this time band whatsoever! One thing I didn't like about Beth was that she was constantly screaming "QUUUEEENNNTIINNNN!!!!!!!!" over and over and over, and constantly worried about him. Talk about a Stage 5 Clinger!

I think if the writers had've given Amanda and Quentin a little more time instead of all together thrusting (oops...hehe) them together in no time, that the entire ordeal would've been a little more acceptable.

And I agree with what's said directly above me--the relationship between Tim and Amanda did warrant further exploration.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2008, 04:20:58 AM »
I didn't really have a problem with Amanda as a character. I thought her storyline was particularly interesting, actually. But I DID have a problem with her sudden paring with Quentin after Beth's death. It was like Beth never lived, like she and Quentin never had a relationship, like she basically never existed in this time band whatsoever! One thing I didn't like about Beth was that she was constantly screaming "QUUUEEENNNTIINNNN!!!!!!!!" over and over and over, and constantly worried about him. Talk about a Stage 5 Clinger!

I think if the writers had've given Amanda and Quentin...*

Actually Q and Amanda were paired together while Beth was still alive.   I think it was still a little early to expect Quentin to stop mistreating girlfriends, though.    He's becoming a better person, but he's not really reformed yet.    Most people stop learning lessons in their 20s.... he's come pretty far, considering...

I don't correct people normally-- sorry, but I hope you won't mind too much if I point out that the "had've" is unnecessary; it can just be "...if the writers had given..."

I plan to go several years without correcting anyone again.