Author Topic: SPOILERS: beginning dvds observations in story line  (Read 913 times)

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
SPOILERS: beginning dvds observations in story line
« on: March 07, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
may have been said before but this is what i've gleaned so far that might have been potential story lines (i'm on disk 3/4 of first set):

1)  David might have been Burke's son  (let's do the math), thereby causing all the animosity between Roger and son and Roger and Burke.
2)  Elizabeth and Bill Malloy seem to have  "history" of an affair  or potential for an affair.   I would have liked that.   they played well together.
3)  Viki is less stupid than after Barny, and more likable and hasn't uttered those famous words yet.....(although, i'm dreading it) Everybody seems to think she's the whipping boy of collinwood.
4)  Maggie is less damsel in distress, more easier going (except when she called her self a jerk, i saw a spark in her eyes!) 
6)  In 1966 one of the intros said that Collinwood has been around for 130 years.....let's do the math again from 1795.
7)  I read somewhere on this board about Liz's paranoia causing her weakening during shows run.  I can see it already.  She's a thread away from reality already.
8 )  Seems they were setting up spooky storys from the beginning.  always talking about ghosts and monsters, etc.   might have been an idea from very beginning to go to the lenghts they did.   
9)   Is the drawing room smaller than usual?    or is it just me.   
10)  how different without julia hoffman sputtering around collinwood, or mrs. johnson wearily walking around the house. 
11)  I like the original Sam Evans, he's more poetic, and seems to work better with Maggie, who i like pre barny too.  I am anxious to see how she and Joe Haskell got together. 
12)  So i see that carolyn has always been a Bytch from the beginning.  Spoiled little girl.   i can see she is destinted to be a spinster because of her mother......
13)  it seems that Jonathan Frid caused the high count of bloopers, because so far in 34 episodes i've noticed only 3 or 4-- not bad.  (Henesy has not made ONE that i can think of so far) Bennet and Edmonds cover their's nicely to make it the character's fault, being so stressed during situation, and Moltke just made a big one in a history lesson and just careened on without fixing it.  I think the other one who made a goof was Mitchell Ryan, who was desparately running his hand through his hand trying to get the line right. 

THAT IS ALL FOR NOW........

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: SPOILERS: beginning dvds observations in story line
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 03:17:01 PM »
I'm making my way through the first episodes of the series as well, and agree with you on a bunch of things.

- David possibly being Burke's son, I thought that was a really interesting plot development. I'm not sure how they could have pursued it further, but it definitely explained a lot of the animosity.

- I like the first Sam Evans as well. He's got a real desperate quality to him. He seems more quietly tortured, like his guilt is eating him alive from the inside out. As much as I like David Ford's Sam, I would have liked Mark Allen to stay around longer.

- I really like the character of Bill Malloy, wish he had been able to stick around longer as well.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »
The one problem I had with David being Burke's son is they don't look anything alike....of course he and Roger don't really look like alike very much either. Who knows, maybe Laura had yet another lover on the side.

I saw the Barnabas episodes first before the pre-Barnabas so it was weird seeing another actor play Maggie's dad. He wasn't bad, but all in all I prefer David Ford probably because I'm much more used to him.

I do agree Vicki seems so much sharper in these episodes. I really wish the writers hadn't turned her into such a clueless idiot later on.

It is weird not seeing Julia Hoffman and Mrs. Johnson around. No Willie or Angelique or Quentin either.

I'd just like to say it doesn't matter if Jonathan Frid caused more bloopers than anyone else.....first of all, it wasn't intentional, Jonathan was not used to working in front of the cameras, he himself said he was a slow study so cut him some slack! I'll say it again....IMO he winded up saving the show (obviously you don't think so but I respect your opinion). But Barnabas was my favorite character anyway. I will say that I agree that a lot of the original characters got shortchanged or pushed to the sidelines when he came along, but I think that was due more to the fact that the actors wanted to do other projects outside DS.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:49:53 PM »
The one problem I had with David being Burke's son is they don't look anything alike....of course he and Roger don't really look like alike very much either. Who knows, maybe Laura had yet another lover on the side.
I'd just like to say it doesn't matter if Jonathan Frid caused more bloopers than anyone else.....first of all, it wasn't intentional, Jonathan was not used to working in front of the cameras, he himself said he was a slow study so cut him some slack! I'll say it again....IMO he winded up saving the show (obviously you don't think so but I respect your opinion). But Barnabas was my favorite character anyway. I will say that I agree that a lot of the original characters got shortchanged or pushed to the sidelines when he came along, but I think that was due more to the fact that the actors wanted to do other projects outside DS.

1) carolyn doesn't looke like liz as well.   

2)  I think frid's flubs added to the charm of the character and moltke as much as said it on one of the interviews.   he certainly did save the show because when he didn't want to be a vampire anymore, the show tanked.    in away he was the savior/sinker of the show, eh?    (i just never liked the way he dogged julia, who had eternal love for him, i think more so than angelique.) 
3)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:16:42 PM »
Too bad they didn't stay somewhat close to Art Wallace's original intention to have Bill Malloy as a permanent character.
It would have been great to see him help Liz fight Jason.

I love the outdoor scenes in the first year.  At least they could have kept the color establishing shots of Collinwood as they still used the waves footage inserted in the video from time to time.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »
I suspect the reason for the increase in bloopers was more about the frantic pacing of the show once they went completely supernatural/horror and spent more time on the special effects and the "more, more more!" mentality. I tend to notice more bloopers post-1795, which is right around the time the show went nuts.  [snow_lipsrsealed]

Just my two cents.