Author Topic: DS DVDs on sale at Amazon.com  (Read 979 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
DS DVDs on sale at Amazon.com
« on: March 05, 2008, 01:04:55 AM »
Fans, a friend was kind enough to alert me that there's a massive sale on a huge number of classic and cult TV titles now on amazon.com.  The DS DVDs are part of the sale and are priced around $30 to $31.49 apiece (not including shipping).  Usually on the site if you buy more than $25 of merchandise they throw in the shipping for free but am not sure if this applies for this sale.

No doubt the sale is stimulated in part by all the reports in the press lately regarding "the death of the DVD."  A Boston paper last week interviewed faculty at a media studies and communications dept. at one of the local Universities stating that internet downloads and home-burnt DVD-Rs (or Blu-Ray-Rs, I guess) are the wave of the future, although the final statement of one professor was that "speeds are not quite there" for the kind of quality that most consumers would expect for a paid download.

The growing numbers of file-sharing sites around these days remind me of the "Napster" craze of some years back.  Interesting times!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DS DVDs on sale at Amazon.com
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 07:22:32 AM »
Not only do they have DS, I see they have two Best of collections of Anthony George's 1960-1962 series Checkmate for fans who might be interested in those. Check out: Best of Checkmate: Season One(on sale) and Checkmate: Best of Season Two(pre-order)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »
After I posted, I revisited, ran a search for "Dark Shadows" in the DVD cat, and realized that only SOME of the sets are on sale.  Still, it's quite a large number. A couple of the 1966 sets and the 1991 set are also on sale.

Nice to hear about Tony George's early 1960s series.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
Just to follow up ... I did order the Best of Checkmate season one collection, with Anthony George (co-starring with Sebastian Cabot and a youthful Doug McClure).  I watched several of these last weekend and they're great fun.

I checked the cast list for the episodes on the season 2 set and noticed another future DS alumnus, Dennis Patrick, on one of the shows they'll be releasing this week.

Best, G.