Author Topic: brandy and blackmail  (Read 616 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
brandy and blackmail
« on: February 25, 2008, 12:34:08 AM »
without getting too off-topic lately i have caught a few episodes of "the young and the restless"...

currently there is a plot involving a rather scoundrel-ish character named i believe 'jeffery' blackmailing a rather grand-dame-ish character named 'gloria'(something involving a poisoned face cream but whatever).

so anyways this cad has managed(via blackmail)to ingratiate himself into her home(naturally this being a soap opera it is always refered to as "the abbot mansion").needless to say without gainful employment 'jeffery' has lots of time to lounge around sipping brandy and something about this bit gave me some deja-vu...

this whole set-up is very jason mcquire-ish!

so what gives?why is it that on soaps whenever some rouge manages to blackmail himself into the family manse he occupies himself by rather showily pouring himself brandy from some elaborate glass decanter,holding the snifter up and examining it's contents(as if this louse can discern a fine spirit from a bottle of two-buck-chuck),and smirking to himself before downing it's contents.he does this by the way at any time of the day and as if to rub salt in the wounds of the people who actually live in the house "offers" them a glass all "lord of the manor" style.

now i don't know much about spirits(the occasional bourbon manhattan rocks)but is the consumption of warm brandy in the middle of the day supposed to make these characters seem "rich"?i know i've seen this plot device employed elsewhere as well. [snow_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: brandy and blackmail
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:06:51 PM »
What a hoot!  It does indeed sound as if somebody on the staff of that soap has been watching their old tapes from the Jason Maguire storyline.

I like to call that show "The Hung and the Listless."  An acquaintance of mine is a huge fan of actor Daniel Goddard, who used to play The Beastmaster on that show about 9 years ago, and is now on Y&R as a character named Cane ('"as in Hurricane").  Apparently there are masses of current clips from Y&R on YouTube, perhaps some including the storyline involving the Jason Maguire clone.

Now all that has to happen is that a young wastrel friend of the Maguire fellow shows up with an interest in the family jewels. Tee hee!

G.