Author Topic: David and Barnabas  (Read 2525 times)

Offline HobbiesDS

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
David and Barnabas
« on: May 27, 2002, 08:54:48 PM »
?!?

I have a question that I'm sure someone out there can shed some light on or give their opinions.

Before 1795 David was terrified of Barnabas.  They were having the seance to see what they could find out to help David  - then 1795.

Well when Vicki returns to the present David's fear of Barnabas seems to be gone.  Any idea how he overcame being frightened of his cousin the Vampire??

HobbiesDS
HobbiesDS

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: David and Barnabas
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2002, 09:51:47 PM »
?!?

I have a question that I'm sure someone out there can shed some light on or give their opinions.

Before 1795 David was terrified of Barnabas.  They were having the seance to see what they could find out to help David  - then 1795.

Well when Vicki returns to the present David's fear of Barnabas seems to be gone.  Any idea how he overcame being frightened of his cousin the Vampire??

HobbiesDS

David's fear of Barnabas simply disappeared without any kind of explaination.  As I mentioned in another post, this seems to me to be an example of really poor writing.

Since David was not seen onscreen for a while after Vicki's return to the present, they could have mentioned that he was off receiving treatment, during which he overcame his fears.  Perhaps not an entirely satisfactory explaination, but still better than leaving such a major plotline unresolved.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2002, 10:28:22 PM »
At this point in the storyline Roger (never the best father) is married to Cassandra.  David feels threatened by Cassandra (as he should be).  So does Barnabas--he knows Cassandra is really Angelique. [vryevl]  David and Barnabas have this in common--their suspicion of Cassandra/Angelique.  Perhaps David senses that he can more readily trust Barnabas than Roger.  Also as others have mentioned  the writers changed the direction of the storyline.  :-/
MM

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2002, 11:19:22 PM »
Well, they did a good job recapping and taking care of the threat toward Julia from Barney and Caroline. This one they rather just dropped with the absence and then return of David. However, with a child's attention span (or mine for that matter) and with the introduction of another frightening character, I think this isn't all that big a blunder.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2002, 11:29:29 PM »
They simply seemed to drop the "David fearing Barnabas" storyline.  Barnabas is human now, so perhaps the boy senses there is no reason to fear him.  Children are generally very sensitive to such things.

Love, Robin

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2002, 12:23:56 AM »
They simply seemed to drop the "David fearing Barnabas" storyline.  Barnabas is human now, so perhaps the boy senses there is no reason to fear him.  Children are generally very sensitive to such things.

Love, Robin

I agree Robin makes the most sense!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2002, 07:55:09 AM »
I could actually understand this [*gasp*]...after all, Roger had a gun aimed at Adam, so obviously I wouldn't run 2 him, even if I were scared of Barnabus, and also Barnabus is the one who just saved his life by calming Adam down. Of course, once you throw in the fact that David is freaking TERRIFIED of Barnabus and thinks [thought!!] that Barnabus wanted 2 kill him, it makes NO SENSE, but the writers 4got that David was afraid of Barnabus just like they forgot that LIZ IS NOT NAOMI!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG THEY KILLED HER CHAR!!!!! They Naomi-ized her!!! She's so weak now!!! UUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH *throws stuff*[/b]

*inhales* But it did make a lil sense 2 me, @ least when I was watching it. Would u run 2 a man who had a gun aimed and was threatening 2 fire it?? Not me, I don't have a death wish.

Although I think Cassie might....giving David a knife!!!! OMG she's insane! I guess since they've only known each other like.....a WEEK, Roger forgot to mention that David tried 2 kill him once up a time........ laaa deee daaa amazing how these things are 4gotten...... :-
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2002, 08:14:01 AM »
LIZ IS NOT NAOMI!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG THEY KILLED HER CHAR!!!!! They Naomi-ized her!!! She's so weak now!!! UUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH *throws stuff*[/b]

I'll brace you for it now: Liz and Cassandra have a storyline coming up real soon that you probably won't like.  Sacreligious as it may be, I think I'm going to have to FF through that part.

Although I think Cassie might....giving David a knife!!!! OMG she's insane! I guess since they've only known each other like.....a WEEK, Roger forgot to mention that David tried 2 kill him once up a time........ laaa deee daaa amazing how these things are 4gotten...... :-

I chuckled about that.  When Roger told Cassandra that David wouldn't bite her during their introductions, I could only think, "No, but he'll take the bleeder valve out of your car, lock you in an abandoned room, and generally threaten your life when he's not making it a living hell."  Too bad that Cassandra didn't come into their lives during the early episodes.  Did you see how terrified of her David was?  She could have straightened out his bad behavior pretty quickly.

ProfStokes  

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2002, 08:22:27 AM »

I'll brace you for it now: Liz and Cassandra have a storyline coming up real soon that you probably won't like.  Sacreligious as it may be, I think I'm going to have to FF through that part.

Oh joy......*skips around in circles* -_-  ::)

I chuckled about that.  When Roger told Cassandra that David wouldn't bite her during their introductions, I could only think, "No, but he'll take the bleeder valve out of your car, lock you in an abandoned room, and generally threaten your life when he's not making it a living hell."  Too bad that Cassandra didn't come into their lives during the early episodes.  Did you see how terrified of her David was?  She could have straightened out his bad behavior pretty quickly.  

LMAO!!!!!!!! I liked David in the early episodes, though. At least he had some distinction in his char:  he was a rebel, kinda like the early Carolyn [excluding the whole "BUZZ" thing], and he hated his father, and at least that hatred gave him some sort of INTERESTING characteristics.....now he's like "yeah I love him/her," and yeah, love is great, but on a soap, it's BORING!!!!! I mean, yeah, he was a brat, and he prolly shoulda been sent away, but at least then he was interesting.

I guess the writers didn't like conflict; which is kinda funny, because it actually makes the show more realistic, yet it's so boring. We spend our whole lives running away from conflict, and yet plays are based on human life, but plays are all ABOUT conflict. OOOOOO AN OXYMORON!!!!! LOL I think 2 much  8)
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2002, 08:28:48 AM »

I liked David in the early episodes, though. At least he had some distinction in his char:  he was a rebel, kinda like the early Carolyn [excluding the whole "BUZZ" thing], and he hated his father, and at least that hatred gave him some sort of INTERESTING characteristics.....now he's like "yeah I love him/her," and yeah, love is great, but on a soap, it's BORING!!!!! I mean, yeah, he was a brat, and he prolly shoulda been sent away, but at least then he was interesting.

Yes, those first episodes with "psycho David" are really his best work on the show.  From the end of the Laura storyline on, I felt that David Henessy's characters were really watered down and generic.  That's why I so enjoy watching him when he's possessed; he has so much more spirit  ;) in him.

ProfStokes  

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2002, 08:32:57 AM »

Yes, those first episodes with "psycho David" are really his best work on the show.  From the end of the Laura storyline on, I felt that David Henessy's characters were really watered down and generic.  That's why I so enjoy watching him when he's possessed; he has so much more spirit  ;) in him.

LOLOL I'd imagine. I haven't seen him possessed yet  :'( but I'm looking 4ward 2 it. Things get soooo boring with JUST Cassie/Angelique and Barnabus. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz When is he possessed?!?!?!??!? Or is that a SPOILER warning?? HEHEHAHA  

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2002, 03:57:25 PM »

Love, Robin

Robin, I like your explaination more than mine, it makes perfect sense!  Probably better than whatever the writers would have come up with, had they chosen to resolve the plotline.

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2002, 04:31:02 PM »
I can't remember and perhaps someone else does........what about the ghost of Sarah?  Does she come back at all?  

Franimal

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2002, 05:55:41 PM »
No, Sarah is gone by this point in the show.  Sharon Smyth was considered to be getting noticeably older, so the character was dropped, even though she had probably served all her potential by that point.

Agreed that the David thing post-1795 is sloppy, but considering that the present day storyline was suspended for close to six months, I think it's pretty impressive how well everything was picked up overall, especially given the usual DS standards of continuity.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2002, 10:03:33 PM »

ProfStokes  

Something else that was obviously dropped - in the very early episodes Roger hints that Burke Devlin might actually be David's biological father. Seems Laura was dating Burke right before he went to jail, and then she married Roger instead. Hmmm. David and Burke did in fact share a much closer relationship than David and Roger ever did, and Burke was a better father figure too. I think they were originally heading in this direction in the beginning.

Lots of loose threads never tied up . . . they really should have recast the character of Burke again after Anthony George left the show. Heck they had 3 Woodards and 3 Vickis so why not 3 Burkes?