Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0483  (Read 1195 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0483
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:17:17 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0483
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 10:08:55 AM »
Lucky John Karlen.  He must have had a ball doing today's episode - being sweet and pathetic first, and the injured innocent later on, and finally crazy and dangerous.

Knowing what one knows about Barnabas's motive for getting Willie released, it's hard to believe that Julia fell for the sob story.  But Barnabas has made the occasional morally correct decision recently, and Julia knows it. And she knows that Willie was not guilty of trying to kill Maggie.  Still, she should know that the Old House is the last place to send a mentally fragile person. It's out of one loony bin and into another.

Incidentally, I've raised the following point before this, and it now seems appropriate to raise it again: When was Willie transferred from some random institution for the criminally insane to Windcliff?  It seems like an extraordinary thing to do within a year of his being sent to the random institution.  He was understood to have committed a serious and scary crime, and Windcliff was not exactly a high-security institution.  Even if he had lost his memory (which was the case immediately after he was caught), why was it assumed that the basic potential for murder and mayhem was not still present in his mind?  I would like to have seen the scene: Julia smiling and lying, and telling the authorities...telling them what???  Apparently Julia was able dream up a convincing lie.  I am not.

I am impressed with Kathryn Leigh Scott.  She hit the picture frame solidly with the hammer two or three times, and didn't miss even once.  Under pressure, in the first take, too - and she knew she could do it, or they would have set the scene up some other way.  In her position I would have banged my thumb and said "Ouch!" right on camera.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:40:45 PM »
Actually the time Willie spent in the institution for about three months.  During the five months of 1795, no time passed in the present.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »
Wow!  I hope I get just as short a term when I'm finally committed!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 07:20:10 AM »
Willie's back! [milestone] Hooray! [cheer] Yes, indeed, I'm sure JK had fun doing this episode. [snow_cheesy] Willie was just as impulsive as he was before when he slipped out of the house to visit Maggie. He should have known that she would act that way. I think that he was still smitten with her. [luv]

Yes, indeed, Barnabas was just as manipulative as a human as he was as a vampire. [snow_wink]

Actually the time Willie spent in the institution for about three months.  During the five months of 1795, no time passed in the present.
It was longer for us since Willie was away, because we saw Vicki's trip to the past. I believe this was the longest JK was away from DS.

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:24:33 PM »
It's been a long while since I had the chance to watch the show.  Last night for some reason I chose to watch this episode.  I've seen it several times before, but this time I really enjoyed the back and forth between Barnabas and Julia.  I loved how coolly Julia poured scorn upon the notion of Barn's "pangs of conscience" and how persistently Barn kept needling her until he wore her down.  In that final scene at Windcliff, when she informed him that she hadn't made her decision yet, and he sort of faux-sweetly said, "You didn't need to," I loved how Jules looked at him with this "are you for real???" ice in her eyes.  GREAT stuff.

But after watching, I realized that DS really does take place in its own little world.  Willie was supposed to have been locked away for the murders of several people AND for kidnapping and terrorizing Maggie--face it, with a conviction like that, they'd have thrown away the key.  On DS, it's just a little cat and mouse between Barn and Jules and the Collinsport Strangler is out for a little light housekeeping and a courtesy call on his former victim.  Yikes.

John Karlen deserved an Emmy for his work on this show.  What a powerhouse!

G.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »
It was great to see Willie back again. One can't really blame him for wanting to clear the air with Maggie, as foolish and useless as it was. Hey, at least he knocked this time instead of trying to break into the house.

And I think Joe did have a right to be angry that Barnabas had a hand in getting Willie released....we all know that Willie is innocent and that Barnabas had his own reasons for bringing Willie back, but Joe doesn't.
As far as he is concerned the man who kidnapped his girlfriend has been let loose again and has already tried to go after her (not really though).

Julia was right to be suspicious of Barnabas though. Would he have thought of getting Willie out if there had been no need of an experiment? I doubt if Barnabas even gave Willie a second thought after he was sent to the institution.

I agree, Barnabas WAS truly manipulative in here....just because he has become human, he hasn't quite shaken that devious streak in him.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:01:11 AM »
Gothick, great comments.  I too wonder about some of the legal logistics of this episode.  Wouldn't Willie have to stand trial for kidnapping and attempted kidnapping even after he was "rehabilitated"?  I mean, does he get to get off "scott free" just because some psychiatrist says he's well enough to go back into society?

Still, good episode, with nicely played scenes between Barnabas and Julia and Barnabas, Julia and Willie.