Author Topic: Scariest Character  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Lindsey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Scariest Character
« on: May 26, 2002, 07:39:29 PM »
Hey all! Throughout the entire run of the series, which character do you feel was the scariest? It can be one you were terrified of when you first watched it or one you still are scared of today.

Spoiler...

This really isn't a character, but any time someone's hand comes up from their grave, such as Jeremiah's. I thought one of the scariest moments on the show was when Gerard had called up the army of the dead. You just saw all these hands reaching up from the grave.

My little sister is terrified of King Johnny Romano. She was never afraid of anything else on the show, just him. Every time they would mention him, she would plug her ears. And when he finally appeared, she was SO scared! I laugh at her and tell her that he wasn't even someone who was meant to be that scary!

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Scariest Character
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 08:57:05 PM »
SPOILER

I would say the scene that you mentioned Lindsey, with Gerard's pirate zombies. I remember that and haven't seen it since it first aired, but I was 6 years old at the time and it was pretty scary! I remember they go into Collinwood too and destroy the place. Julia also stands out in my mind for some reason. Was she right in the middle of it?
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 09:18:36 PM »

Julia also stands out in my mind for some reason. Was she right in the middle of it?

Yes, the zombies attacked her, and Barnabas helped her to reach the safety of the staircase before they latched onto him next.

To me, the scariest character is Reverend Gregory Trask.  I happen to think that Jerry Lacy is quite attractive, but as Gregory he makes my skin crawl.  I feel compelled to wash after viewing one of his episodes.  The man is repulsive in every way, and he's also very believable.  I have no doubt that people like him actually exist.  Certain scenes (particularly those with Rachel Drummond and the one exchange with Dorcas Trilling) literally make me cringe with uneasiness, but I suppose that's a testament to the power of good writing and Lacy's acting skills.

ProfStokes

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 10:13:08 PM »
When I was a wee little one (about eleven), the scariest thing for me back then was Jeremiah's ghost, walking around all bloody and bandaged with little bits of him hanging all over the place.  I remember the scene when he takes Angelique and dumps her in the grave, threatening to bury her alive...........I watched it through my fingers, my hands over my face.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2002, 10:22:34 PM »
The scariest scene for me was seeing Barnabas' hand reaching up out of the coffin and grabbing Willie's throat when Willie had opened the coffin after almost 200 years. I remember how terrified I was when I first saw that scene when I was a child,  especially that  look of horror on Willie's face.                            
"Calamity Jane"

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2002, 10:37:11 PM »
For me, the scariest character was always the werewolf.  Just seeing the pentagram appear on the face of his potential victim filled me with dread.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

One of the scariest scenes in the series for me was when Chris transforms into the werewolf in front of his cousin Joe after he pleaded with Joe to leave, knowing what was to come.  Great build-up in that scene, and I was sure Joe was doomed, especially after what had happened to Mr. Welles.  Actually, I never did figure out how Joe managed to escape!

Great topic, Lindsey!

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2002, 12:01:31 AM »
Laura Collins--that scene of her being consumed by fire and trying to draw David in with her scared me when I saw that as a kid. [angryf]
MM

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2002, 12:50:47 AM »
Quentin scared me when he haunted Collinwood and didn't speak :-X !  Ghosts [ghost] tend to scare me more than anything else DS (or any other horror film or TV show) had to offer.  That's why I recently enjoyed renting "The Others"...eeeeek!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2002, 04:38:27 AM »
Quentin when he arrives IS really frightening. But the worst that I remember is

SPOILER...

when Alexis goes to Angelique's casket and Angie opens her eyes. Ewwww!!! Shiver, shiver.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2002, 05:32:04 AM »
I thought when Josette first stepped out of the portrait at The Old House, and danced around the front porch was pretty creepy! Especially when seen in black and white, it was spooky! [ghost]
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2002, 06:21:39 AM »
I suppose I'd have to go with either Petofi or Judah Zachary.  They seemed to have so many powers and always be a step ahead of anyone trying to fight them.  Any other villians, it seemed, there was a chance for them to counterract them, but the situations with either Petofi or Judah often seemed impossible and one had to wonder if they had any hope of winning against them.
Josette

Offline elizabeth

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2002, 08:29:02 AM »
Laura Collins,   It was horrible  what she did to Eizabeth and Dr. Guthrie.  >:(  She also made scary faces...eyes popping out..teeth clinched.
I must go to my room and rest.

hooked

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2002, 03:30:38 PM »
The way Barnabas is always popping up out of a secret panel somewhere always scared me as a child.  I thought he might come and get me that way! I had many terrified nights because of him but I still watched anyway.

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2002, 08:42:00 PM »
8)
I think one of the scariest storylines and characters was when

spoiler here
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Count Petofi posessed David (or whatever his name was in that time)  Now that was real creepy!

HobbiesDS
HobbiesDS

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2002, 10:39:38 PM »
My little sister is terrified of King Johnny Romano. She was never afraid of anything else on the show, just him. Every time they would mention him, she would plug her ears. And when he finally appeared, she was SO scared! I laugh at her and tell her that he wasn't even someone who was meant to be that scary!

-Lindsey

Lindsey....this is so funny!

Isn't it odd how something can build up to be worse than the fact?

For me, the best is David up in the West Wing with Amy, and the old fashioned,
[shadow=black,left,300]unplugged[/shadow] phone rang!

Good topic!

Patti
What a Woman!