Author Topic: Shows revive memories of childhood innocence  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shows revive memories of childhood innocence
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 06:08:27 AM »
Back in the late 60s, Dad got home from work by 4 pm (an electrician, he started his day at 7 am, ended at 3:30, with a one-half-hour lunch), and Mom was expected to have dinner on the table when he walked in the door.  Well....in 1969 DS aired in Dayton at 4 pm, and I was allowed to watch it on the brand new 25 inch color television in the living room...and dinner was delayed to 4:30 or 5:00.  There was never any censoring of what I watched.   Fast forward to late 1990s...Dad would see a picture of Jonathan Fird as Barnabas and he would remember the character as "Barnaby the vampire."  (I remember we had watched HODS on CBS late-night once or twice in the late 70s, so that was his frame of reference).

Dad passed in 2002--and he was in awe of DVDs and surround sound; I wish he had been able to experience more modern technology!  Mom passed on February 1 this year, but she also always recalled and appreciated my interest in DS and movie musicals right to the end.  My parents, born in the late 30s, were open-minded, progressive thinkers...and they "got it," i..e., they didn't buy into all that religious crap about DS and other such shows/movies/comics and how such entertainment would send us to hell.

I love them both, may they RIP!

Brian