Author Topic: Lesser of 2 evils?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Lesser of 2 evils?
« on: May 24, 2002, 05:29:27 PM »
Hmmmm.........must be having a memory glitch here.

I seem to recall that the seance that sent Vicky to the past was held to contact Sarah 'cause there was concern (well founded) about David and his fear (also well founded) of Barnabus.

Yesterday.....David ran into his arms.   ?!? No Sarah - no fear.....did I miss something here?  Or is this another DS time sort of thing?    ;)

Funny thing.....I was about 10 when DS was aired and was a faithful watcher.  I remember all of 1795, but can only vaguely remember the Adam storyline.  Maybe it's that psychological thing that happens when you experience something painful!!!  'Cause this storyline sure is painful!!  ;D

c'ya!!!

Fran

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Re: Lesser of 2 evils?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2002, 02:02:49 AM »
I noticed that too when I was watching. I was like, wasn't David scared of Barnie killing him before 1795? It seems like some storylines faded away--including this one along with the parentage of Vickie storyline.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2002, 02:54:30 AM »
I noticed that too when I was watching. I was like, wasn't David scared of Barnie killing him before 1795? It seems like some storylines faded away--including this one along with the parentage of Vickie storyline.

Yes, I had commented earlier that everyone seems to have forgotten the entire reason they had the seance in the first place. I was disappointed they didn't at least address the fact that David was terribly frightened of Barnabas only a few "weeks" ago.

As you say they have also completely dispensed with Vicki's search for her identity, and she has also completely forgotten Burke Devlin as well.

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2002, 05:51:23 AM »
Hmmmm.........must be having a memory glitch here.

I seem to recall that the seance that sent Vicky to the past was held to contact Sarah 'cause there was concern (well founded) about David and his fear (also well founded) of Barnabus.

Yesterday.....David ran into his arms.   ?!? No Sarah - no fear.....did I miss something here?  Or is this another DS time sort of thing?    ;)

Funny thing.....I was about 10 when DS was aired and was a faithful watcher.  I remember all of 1795, but can only vaguely remember the Adam storyline.  Maybe it's that psychological thing that happens when you experience something painful!!!  'Cause this storyline sure is painful!!  ;D

I think it may be that David now realizes that there are worse things than being stalked by your cousin. Maybe he figures he can win Barnabas over by seeking his "protection", and thus have one less enemy to deal with.
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2002, 05:57:01 AM »
Heh, Its a little tough not to notice the "forgetfulness" of the characters.  The whole gist of the pre-1795 storyline (David's fear for Barnabas; Sarah contacting the family) seems to have been totally lost as the show is now moving in a new direction.

Suspension of disbelief is important when watching any tv show, let alone one involving vampires and time travel, but altering and changing plots and situations in the show is a little over the line if you ask me.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2002, 09:13:48 AM »
The only "logical" thing I can think of right now is that the characters on DS all share the same thing:  A very short memory span! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2002, 03:09:51 PM »
It's one thing to change the direction of the storyline, but to just drop a major plot point like David's fear of Barnabas without any explanation is simply a case of poor writing.  It seems that at this point the only concern of the writers is to introduce as many supernatural characters as possible, with little concern as to the quality of the stories.  Hard to believe that the same writers responsible for the brilliant 1795 story are now writing this dream curse/Adam mess.

On the positve side, we are still being treated to some excellent performances, such as Thayer David's Prof. Stokes, and we'll soon see the introduction of Nicholas Blair!  And things really start to pick up with the start of the Quentin/werewolf storyline!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2002, 03:10:17 PM »
Ah, you know how fickle kids are.  One day they hate something, the next day they can't get enough of it.  When I was an urchin, I loathed Swanson frozen TV dinner chicken, and then it was all I would ever eat.  Same with David:  first he sees Barnabas as some monster living in a casket trying to murder him, and then he's his bestest, bestest friend in the world.  TV dinner chicken or vampires, to kids it's all the same.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2002, 05:06:09 PM »
Gerard, you must have been a fascinating child!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2002, 03:31:08 AM »
Gerard, you must have been a fascinating child!

Raineypark

Could I tell you stories!

Gerard

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2002, 07:00:16 AM »

On the positve side, we are still being treated to some excellent performances, such as Thayer David's Prof. Stokes, and we'll soon see the introduction of Nicholas Blair!  And things really start to pick up with the start of the Quentin/werewolf storyline!

I agree MikeS! I am looking forward to those storylines!  :)

"Calamity Jane"