Author Topic: O. T.....but maybe not.  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
O. T.....but maybe not.
« on: May 24, 2002, 04:17:35 PM »
Is anyone else out there an herb gardener?  Just curious, as I struggle to get plants into the garden later than ever, thanks to the cold weather we've had on the east coast.

But I don't want to be completely off topic....so I'll ask a DS related question:  except for the one instance during 1795 that I'm pretty sure of, does Angelique or anyone else ever use herbal magick on the show?

Rainey, who's headed back outside to play in the dirt!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: O. T.....but maybe not.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2002, 05:16:31 PM »
Is anyone else out there an herb gardener?  Just curious, as I struggle to get plants into the garden later than ever, thanks to the cold weather we've had on the east coast.

But I don't want to be completely off topic....so I'll ask a DS related question:  except for the one instance during 1795 that I'm pretty sure of, does Angelique or anyone else ever use herbal magick on the show?

Rainey, who's headed back outside to play in the dirt!

didn't Angelique have Ben fetch herbs for her potions in 1795?
trying to put my flowers in too Rainey with this weird weather had to bring them in Sun night or they would freeze but yesterday was 80!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2002, 05:40:19 PM »
I love my garden.  I started a perennial garden about 6 years ago.  My elder aunt told me these were great and no maintance.  Of course she didn't tell me it would reach this state when I was 90 like she is.  I have a few herbs in mine.  I have chive and a lemon sage.  Maybe Mrs. J. used chives in her cooking.. hehe.  I love to see what takes and to see it come back every year a bit larger than the year before.  Our soil is not that great so it takes some working on.

I read somewhere that Mr. Frid enjoys gardening.  That is my DS tie to this thread

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2002, 05:49:32 PM »
The only one I can think of is where Jeff asks Stokes to help with get back to 1795...  Stokes holds a ceremony which... erm... involves Jeff eating leaves.

No, I didn't quite get it, either ;)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2002, 06:50:35 PM »
EATING the leaves?  Instead of making a tea out of them and DRINKING it?

I would have expected more sense from the Excellent Professor.

They don't trust my herb teas around here.....I think it's the Nightshade in the garden that makes them nervous [vryevl]

Yes OF COURSE I'm kidding....who can even FIND a decent Nightshade plant at the local nursery?

[lghy] Rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2002, 07:45:33 PM »
Well Stokes was probably just enjoying watching Roger Davis look like a fool ;)  Least, that's my theory...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2002, 07:51:06 PM »
Yes OF COURSE I'm kidding....who can even FIND a decent Nightshade plant at the local nursery?

[lghy] Rainey

Hee hee!!  Gardening is my therapy, but since it's year-round here, sometimes it qualifies more as work than fun.  Anyway, there's a patch outside my kitchen only for herbs, save for a few varieties of sage that are further out in full sun.  Can't do without m' sage! :)

Anyway, there was the time on the show in which someone was offered a moon poppy as a cure for... you know... the L-word.  We know poppies have wonderful medicinal qualities ([sleep], for one), but TRY finding a Moon Poppy at your local garden center! ;)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2002, 07:59:16 PM »
OMG -- I'd completely forgetten about the Moon Poppy [tm], another plant which someone tried to eat... [seeing a trend]

Yes, the Moon Poppy was a classic -- a silk and plastic legend in its own lifetime ;)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2002, 08:48:22 PM »
I love gardening!  But I live in the burbs and with all the crud they spray on lawns for that perfect green golf course look (scarier than Angelique's potions by a long shot [shckd])  I'm half afraid to try and grow anything to consume (I love dandelions and other "weeds" too - always thought they got a bad rap!).  I really want to do an herb garden this year so I'm thinking of doing one in above ground (clean dirt) pots on the deck.  

Hey Raineypark aren't tomatoes part of the Nightshade family?  My grandmother used to tell us to beware of this family of plants and I thought she mentioned tomatoes.  I really never knew why - though later I read somewhere that consuming the fruit can complicate conditions like arthritis. The worst thing they ever did to me was to cause small stomach sores in my mouth due to the acid - I can't stay away from tomatoes when they're in season!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2002, 09:18:11 PM »

Not much gardening here, I just have a few plants in my kitchen, family room, and out near the pool. My daughter has a Mint plant out there that does very well, that's the only herb. I love the smell of Mint.  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2002, 09:21:29 PM »
Yes, Castlebee....I believe the tomato is related to the Nightshade family.....which explains why it took so long for Europeans to realize how wonderful they were after they were found in the New World!

You should ABSOLUTELY begin an herb garden in terra cotta pots (not plastic, they don't evaporate water well enough and herbs hate wet feet).  I have 20-something of them set up on tiers of concrete blocks on my patio and everything I plant does well in them!!

Just got back from ANOTHER visit to the local nursery with my husband and couldn't resist having a laugh....I stopped one of the owners and asked where he had the Monkshood.  He looked perplexed, my husband had to walk away laughing and I just stood there, smiling politely, waiting for an answer that never came.

Midnite, next week I'll go in and ask him if he's gotten any Moon Poppies yet!!  [lghy] [lghy]

Rainey
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2002, 09:31:49 PM »
I can't grow a dull garn thing.  I've been know to kill plastic plants.  I get all my greens from their natural habitat - the supermarket.  Same thing with any herbs - I get them in their natural casings......those little glass bottles.

And it's also been cold, cold, cold here in the midwest, too, with nothing but rain (we're getting it all while the rest of the country is screaming for it).  We had warm temps yesterday (Thursday), up to 78.  This morning, it was 30.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2002, 09:46:38 PM »
I love to do gardening. As a matter of fact, I just finished planting all my flowers in my garden yesterday. I just love roses, and have quite a few rose trees growing both in my back yard and front.  About eight years ago, I planted a small pink rose plant in front of my house. A neighbor down the street from me told me to sprinkle some kind of herb in the dirt while I was planting the roses. Well I can't remember what that herb was but you should see this thing! I pretty much know all about roses,but I've never seen one grow this way before. It actually looks like a tree, it's so big, at least 12 feet or more, and its growing straight up like a tree!! It's full of lovely pink roses and it's not leaning or bending in the least! Unfortunately, this neighbor moved awhile ago so I can't ask her what the heck that herb was called.  I also have a few herbs growing in my yard as well, Rosemary,Thyme, and sage. They have an herbal garden store near me that also sells all kinds of herbal plants.
Rainey, I wish you well with your garden! :)

As for as using herbs on the show:

SPOILER.......SPOILER............SPOILER.........SPOILER....

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Im pretty sure that while under Cassandra's powers, Liz, believing to be Naomi Collins, took some kind of herb to try and kill herself, as Naomi had done. Fortunately, the herb, I believe turned out to be Valerian root, which is more like a strong sedative. [sleep]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2002, 01:26:12 AM »
Yes, the Moon Poppy was a classic -- a silk and plastic legend in its own lifetime ;)

<snort!>

Raineypark's
Just got back from ANOTHER visit to the local nursery with my husband and couldn't resist having a laugh....I stopped one of the owners and asked where he had the Monkshood.  He looked perplexed, my husband had to walk away laughing and I just stood there, smiling politely, waiting for an answer that never came.

LOL, you're evil!!  How shameful of him to not know what happens "when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright"!

Midnite, next week I'll go in and ask him if he's gotten any Moon Poppies yet!!  [lghy] [lghy]

Oh please do!  Or ask him where he keeps the mandrake cuz your family is clamoring for a big pot of your homemade mandrake root stew. [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2002, 01:32:02 AM »
Sorry, Midnite,,  but we never cared for Mandrake Root Stew......
however, my Belladonna Punch is to die for [vryevl]

Rainey  [lghy]
Dylan Thomas