Author Topic: Props After DS  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Props After DS
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
I occasionally see the odd prop show up on ebay, a bowl, or a candelabrum, but has snyone ever seen any of the big set pieces show up on other shows? The statue on the entrance hall table, for example, or the grandfather clock?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Props After DS
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »
Most of the props that show up on ebay aren't props actually used from the show. It's a shame, but true. I wondered myself a while ago what happened to the costumes used on the show, but I don't think anyone really knows. They were probably recycled back into the ABC stock, or are in a storage area somewhere. If they were around I'd imagine Jim Pierson would be auctioning them off for big $$ at the Fests.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »
Some of the costumes from the show were auctioned off at previous fests for charity.  Many of the period costumes were rented from this place out in Queens, NY whose name escapes me at the moment.  I was even there once to rent a costume for a show I was doing.

Jonathan has a wolf head cane he used on DS and, I believe, a candle snuffer used in the Old House. No blue candles though.

nancy

Most of the props that show up on ebay aren't props actually used from the show. It's a shame, but true. I wondered myself a while ago what happened to the costumes used on the show, but I don't think anyone really knows. They were probably recycled back into the ABC stock, or are in a storage area somewhere. If they were around I'd imagine Jim Pierson would be auctioning them off for big $$ at the Fests.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:59:01 PM »
In the 70s someone found Star Trek's Galileo shuttlecraft rusting in a junk yard.    DS was considered even more disposable than an average TV show.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:04:58 PM »
Too bad most props and stuff were left to rust and rot. Nobody thought people might someday pay a fortune for them!

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »
Too bad most props and stuff were left to rust and rot. Nobody thought people might someday pay a fortune for them!
Indeed,  I am particularly curious where that magnificent grandfather clock ended up...
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

David

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:34:28 PM »
Ryan's Hope was done in the same studio as DS for it's entire run.
Lela Swift & other DS tech people all worked on it.

In 1976, Nancy Barrett did a month long acting gig on RH, which I taped off the Soap Net reruns.
I can tell you that several props ended up on Ryan's Hope!

In one scene, set in a church, the stained glass window
seen outside the 1840 playroom is quite recognizable, as is the blue vase that moved around between the Collinwood foyer & drawing room.

David